It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BBC to help students identify 'fake news'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Not sure I agree with the BBC having official access to students to attempt to teach them what news is "correct", after all lets be honest the BBC is far from impartial.

From the article,

The BBC is launching a new scheme to help young people identify real news and filter out fake or false information. The project is targeted at secondary schools and sixth forms across the UK. From March, up to 1,000 schools will be offered mentoring in class and online to help them spot so-called fake news.

www.bbc.co.uk...

It kinda feels like giving McDonalds access to students to try and help them make better dietary choices, I just cannot see how it would not be used to further an agenda.

BBC journalists including Kamal Ahmed, Tina Daheley, Amol Rajan and Huw Edwards will also take part in events aimed at helping students.

What say the good patrons of ATS??..

RA
edit on 6-12-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
BBC fell for Fake News twice in the last few days. The MSM is full of morons. They copy and paste each other and call it journalism.
edit on 6-12-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

What say the good patrons of ATS??

Well, this one says that it sounds like when CNN told its viewers that it was illegal to read the wikileaks emails and that CNN should be trusted to do it for them and tell them what was in them.

Good ol' newspeak.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

What say the good patrons of ATS??

Well, this one says that it sounds like when CNN told its viewers that it was illegal to read the wikileaks emails and that CNN should be trusted to do it for them and tell them what was in them.

Good ol' newspeak.

Wait CNN really did this? I thought it was just a meme.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Its pretty straight forward:

Anti-War / Anti-Globalism = FAKE News.

Pro-War / Pro-Globalism = Real NEWS.

Multinational Corporatism being the entire platform of Globalism being the core to be cherished, of course.

Good night.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The BBC? Honestly??

Yeah, THAT'LL go well....

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982
Not sure I agree with the BBC having official access to students to attempt to teach them what news is "correct", after all lets be honest the BBC is far from impartial.

That was my first thought as well. However, from further reading, it appears they want to teach kids to value "knowledge (of the actual state of the world), intellectual tools (scrutiny to determine truth from falsehood), and courage (to call out liars)."

The move is triggered by recognition of inherent bias in modern news aggregation - in other words, we don't read the papers anymore, we tend to read articles that other people in our social circles highlight. As people tend to share news that aligns with their own views, this makes it very easy to lose objectivity.

I'm entirely supportive of the principle, but I think there will always be questions about who is handling the implementation, whether it's the BBC or any other news organisation.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Perfectenemy

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The BBC used to be a wonderful institution seen as a paragon of fair and unbiased reporting.

They’re now the Biased Broadcasting Corporation. Pro -EU left wing crap is all they report. Pretty much CNN in the UK and we’re pretty much forced by law to pay for them to exist and lie to us.

Should be shut down.

Even the nature programs are fake news these days. Oh the chuffing hypocrisy

Bob

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
From the site, I see this;

The term "fake news" was popularised by Donald Trump during his presidential election campaign last year.
He used the term to denigrate the output of the traditional news media, although it is also used to describe news stories that achieve significant traction despite being palpably false.

Isn't that statement misleading in itself? Wasn't it popularised originally by the opponents of Trump, until Trump turned it round against CNN?

I can guess what the BBC means by "fake news";
"Brexit is a good thing.".
"Climate change is not our fault."
"Donald Trump has some good ideas."
"Jeremy Corbyn is an idiot."

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   

So the MSM is going to 'teach' students which of their stories are fake and which are to be believed? How could this possibly go wrong?

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

It is like having the SS investigate Auschwitz.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

What the f#ck? They are completely mental. Believe us and only us. Unbelievable. I will never cite CNN as a source ever again. Starting now. Hey CNN i read the Wikileaks emails f#ck you morons.

Thanks for the clip.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Note how it is the big corporations that wish to tell us which is and isn't fake news.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
BBC is massively biased and incredible fake. It is state run propaganda which the citizen is forced to pay for. A racket.

They cover up paedophilia too.

Bumming British Children.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:45 AM
link   

It looks like a good idea. It'll hopefully help to inoculate the next generation from whatever has happened to US politics. Moreover helping them to identify false narratives will protect them from health scares, fake appeals and public panics spread by social media.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Teaching critical thinking skills.

Who woulda thunk it?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
BBC fell for Fake News twice in the last few days.

There's so much out there, but what were the two occasions you refer to?

The inaccurate reporting by Russian media of the Russian ban from the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics is quite amazing, but the tide of diarrhoea from Russian "news" following the shooting down of MH17 is still a case study in the art. Anything, and everything that is reported by Russian media should be immediately suspect.
edit on 7/12/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

The BBC is going to be the arbiter of what is, and what is not propaganda now?

I am utterly beside myself.

Their political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, is easily one of the most massive peddlers of propaganda in the country, every bit as venomous as the liars and eugenicist scum who write for the Daily Mail. Oh, and can we stop calling it fake news? Its either propaganda, or legitimate journalism. Adults do not over simplify things to suit their agenda. Children do that.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

We all know who run the BBC so this isn't good news at all. I think parents need to tell their children not to believe what they hear when they go to these classes. If they are able to, they need to show their own children what is true or false and right or wrong.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join