It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microwave weapon could fry North Korean missile controls, say experts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The U.S. has microwave weapons that proponents believe could stop North Korea from launching missiles by frying their electronics.

The weapons were discussed at an August White House meeting related to North Korea, according to two U.S. officials with direct knowledge.

The microwave weapons, known as CHAMPs, are fitted into an air-launched cruise missile and delivered from B-52 bombers. With a range of 700 miles, they can fly into enemy airspace at low altitude and emit sharp pulses of microwave energy to disable electronic systems

www.nbcnews.com...

I thought that this was interesting. There are some draw backs though, like having to get pretty close to the target.

edit on 4-12-2017 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-12-2017 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

We should totally do that!

Also, we should air drop a bunch of popcorn kernels on pyongyang and then microwave them too! Lil Kim wouldn't know what to think.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

A bit more detail.

Firing high-power microwave bursts at a multi-story structure containing electronic systems and devices, the drone-like weapon irreparably disabled the computers and electronics within seven targets in a one-hour period. The cameras recording the operation were also disabled.

mil-embedded.com...

Not sure how effective it would be against stuff in an underground bunker.

edit on 12/4/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

A bit more technical rundown.

Firing high-power microwave bursts at a multi-story structure containing electronic systems and devices, the drone-like weapon irreparably disabled the computers and electronics within seven targets in a one-hour period. The cameras recording the operation were also disabled.

mil-embedded.com...

I thought it was strange that they announced the technology on the nightly news.

Must be part of the cat and mouse game.

I figure if anything they can interrupt the television stations.lol..or is that station?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood

We should totally do that!

Also, we should air drop a bunch of popcorn kernels on pyongyang and then microwave them too! Lil Kim wouldn't know what to think.

That would also feed the hungry people. I think you are on something.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
If you look at the way that steel turned to dust while paper survived fully intact on 9/11, then it becomes a no-brainer that our government has many technologies hidden from the public.

Just sayin.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's been talked about for a while:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's Boeing's announcement from 2012.
www.boeing.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed
If you look at the way that steel turned to dust while paper survived fully intact on 9/11, then it becomes a no-brainer that our government has many technologies hidden from the public.

Just sayin.

eyah like the id of the high jacker right?

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
No No No! Not another 9-11 thread distraction!

Microwave missiles, North Korean Nukes and POPCORN! Discuss!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01

A bit more technical rundown.

mil-embedded.com...

I thought it was strange that they announced the technology on the nightly news.

Must be part of the cat and mouse game.

I figure if anything they can interrupt the television stations.lol..or is that station?

Probably for North Korean consumption mire than domestic..

But the psychological impact is pretty neat too. Just a few years ago I could have sworn most everybody was anti war.

Things always happen to change public opinion in the ramp ups before wars.. whether it's "new limited strike capabilities." OR nuke tests or chemical weapons or pearl harbor.. babies out of incubators..

At some point people go "Hey! Get that bad man!" And USA goes "never thought you'd ask."

This current one is most odd, because it's almost mostly driven by "how can we blow them up?" Normally it's more like "think about the children, and times running out."

Weird.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Just one little problem...

Flying a cruise missile over another country’s territory, without their expressed permission, especially for the purpose of destroying anything in that country, is an undeniable Act Of War.

NK would be well and fully within its rights to retaliate as it saw fit, if we were to try such an asinine thing.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
No No No! Not another 9-11 thread distraction!

Microwave missiles, North Korean Nukes and POPCORN! Discuss!

Oddly enough my microwave just turned into a weapon.. sadly no popcorn for me unless I go stovetop.. he's shooting lightning bolts at me for no reason.. true story.
edit on 4-12-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Probably taking pictures of you too.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

It's been talked about for a while:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's Boeing's announcement from 2012.
www.boeing.com...

I did a search on the headline and nothing came up.

It makes an interesting story with all of the NK rhetoric.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

It's old news made new. Not uncommon.

My guess is that North Korea may be smart enough to harden their military gear though. Maybe not.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
Just one little problem...

Flying a cruise missile over another country’s territory, without their expressed permission, especially for the purpose of destroying anything in that country, is an undeniable Act Of War.

NK would be well and fully within its rights to retaliate as it saw fit, if we were to try such an asinine thing.

If war was already declared, then this could be a possibility. If they had intelligence stating that a missile was about to launch, then all cards are on the table.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

It's still in testing. They haven't tested it in a couple years and were still trying to decide what missile body it can fit into. They're at least a couple years from operational at a minimum. They have to fit it into the body and then test it in that body.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Microwaves are so 90's. Kinetic bombardment is the new and shiny best thing. Seriously do people still believe in the fairy tale that NK and Fat Kim are not just a puppet state to stir up trouble when "they" need a distraction? The collapse of the cave wasn't an accident.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

When in the air would be when they would be disabled where Little Kim couldn't say that he was being a nice boy and was being attacked.

Given that NK is never too far from the sea, probably some of our ships could handle that chore, just off shore.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

This is not a weapon with a long reach.
A cruise missile cannot catch a ballistic missile in flight.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join