It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shiver me timbers: Arctic blast on the way

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

If you are going on about AGW then fine.

All I said was "globe is getting warmer" to which you say, "Natural climate variability" which, no matter what thermal scale you put it under was the whole point! It is still getting warmer. No need for politics or sharpening axes or anything.

We have agreed. Now lets talk about the weather. See? Nice, safe topic, where you put out your hand and say, "Yup, feels colder alright."

As far as your scale goes, doesn't seem to anything new. Give some a-hat some power and they will never look at you the same again.

Cold air is a bit different than a blizzard, agree there. Ice storms can be just as bad.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Cold air don't worry me.

Another Blizzard of 1978 does.

I was a kid back then...the '78 blizzard was a blast of fun for me. Sledding down house and barn roofs onto the drifted snow was a blast of fun!

Older now, so yes, would grumble and yell at my grandchildren to get off my d*mn roofs before they collapse!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Oh no. I'm not ready for me timbers to shiver.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've been hearing this too. TBH, I only want to feel weather below 60f if it's snowing and I only want to see snow if I'm in a winter resort doing snow related activities, with some hot chocolate waiting for me, and no responsibilities to worry about or anywhere I have to drive................

&& That's never happened so I've never enjoyed the cold weather LOL!!!

I've been hearing the rumors that we will get snow wednesday and thursday. Fingers crossed we won't.

Florida is only 16 hours away, family can't complain too much if we move right?? LOL

-Alee

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The low right now is 42, tomorrow 46
high tomorrow 69.. today was 65?

Then by Thursday and from Thursday all the way through the 18th (as far as I can see) the low will be averaging 25 and the high about 45..

So a 20 degree drop that will stay that way steady with very little variation for weeks..

edit on 4-12-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Reverbs

Egg nog!

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Well, it is into December already and there is no snow here. Our winter will seem so much shorter this year. It rained most of today, I hope the transition to snow is interupted for an hour so the roads get a chance to dry so Ice does not form.

Maybe Winter will only last four months this year, that would be such a treat.

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Sorry ya'll..Im in Texas so.. BRING IT!! Dying for a chance to wear my coat!!! Light a fire!! Have a hot drink and enjoy it!! Long sleeves-omg!
80° today

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Down here in the southern hemisphere we are having a heat wave. Media is having a field day with global warming at the moment, when I was a kid it used to be called a hot summer. Last year we had a cold summer.We have cold and warm winters as well. All seems pretty normal to me

posted on Dec, 4 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Do you really think that global warming means that it will never be cold anywhere?

Really?
Who actually can prove the globe is warming?

The religion is ultra strong...global warmists are almost on par with flat-earthers.

Overall we have no clue in the WORLD..what causes changes but supposedly all the educated bought and paid for do.

Global cooling is what we should be afraid of...how can we make things warmer and more balanced.

Clearly the weather has been out of balance for ALONG TIME...lets figure out how to make the planet a perfected place...who really cares about 0.1% of a degree fahrenheit change in 100 years.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I just found this hilarious!

Source: XKCD.com - Felsius.

What is the average temperature during "Festivus"?

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

... To give you an idea of how out of sorts this is, that temperature for Anchorage, Alaska is the exact same as New York City! ...

Well, temperatures in Anchorage are a common misunderstanding, so it's not really a good comparison. Fairbanks might be a better one.

Temperatures in Anchorage are actually pretty mild. Sitting on the sea as Anchorage does has a significant influence on regulating the temps on the mild side. It's almost unusual to see temps in Anchorage get much below freezing let alone zero. I can remember a few times it got pretty chilly there, but it usually didn't last long...and it was always WAY colder in Fairbanks! During winter time there are often many US cities with far colder temperatures than Anchorage. Wyoming (where I hail from), North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin and New York (Buffalo area) come readily to mind.

BTW...it's 14F here in CO now.

edit on 12/5/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
It's about time, been looking forward to actually using my new snow blower I bought in October. Though I did tell the hubby, "Now that I finally bought one, watch it not snow til December." Well frick me, if THAT wasn't prophetic...

Sorry folks, I jinxed winter & caused the delay, my bad. Apology beers?

Winter arrives 21 Dec 2017...Jan, Feb, March are designed to be cold...
when we have cold weather in Oct-Nov that is not normal Fall or Autumn weather

with the 2 already done cold snaps here in SC, I have already relocated my Dwarf Crepe Myrtle Trees and have already piled up a 2 foot pile of leaves & pine-needles around the base of my live Oaks to endure a cold winter after X-Mas & NewYears

cold winter ?...the 2 full moons which book-end January 2018 might be an Omen...the cold-super Moon of the recent 4 Dec event was likely a foreboding of C-o-l-d during the usual pre-Christmas 70 degree warm ups of the last several years now...

the scriptures warned us to pray that our flights from the Levant would not be in Winter !
And Now with the N.Korean EMP threat a greater reality to happen, the immediate future looks bleak to me
edit on th31151248436805322017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Even parts of Florida will see nighttime temperatures dip into the 30s

Dude I live in north florida and I will believe this when it happens. I am not holding my breath though.
Over the span of 37 years I have watched as my winters got warmer and wetter every year. I expect that to continue till the time comes that I don't get a winter here anymore.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Do you really think that global warming means that it will never be cold anywhere?

Really?

A lot of them do phage , a lot of them do.
And just try and explain how global warming can trigger an ice age and you might as well be speaking swahili.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reverbs

The low right now is 42, tomorrow 46
high tomorrow 69.. today was 65?

Then by Thursday and from Thursday all the way through the 18th (as far as I can see) the low will be averaging 25 and the high about 45..

So a 20 degree drop that will stay that way steady with very little variation for weeks..

Sounds like......... Fall

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

A lot of them do phage , a lot of them do.
And just try and explain how global warming can trigger an ice age and you might as well be speaking swahili.

I think we call it Climate Change now, the whole global warming thing would have us with no ice caps 5 years ago.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes, feeling lucky, loving the warmth but the wind is intense. However, we're still leaving 'cuz the S is gonna H the F in the not too distant future. Gaia is doing some house cleaning and redecorating and the west coast is in need of some tidying.

posted on Dec, 5 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Global warming is the real deal.

Temps are supposed to reach new highs by +20.2 °€ (3 °C, new estimate).

Now that does not mean everything is warmer but it means the thermal energy in the atmosphere is even more chaotic. Hurricanes will be bigger and stronger, probably more of them.
This research suggests the higher wind shear from global warming has the opposite effect of what you suggest:

Global Warming Increases Wind Shear, Reduces Hurricanes, Climate Model Shows

Climate model simulations for the 21st century indicate a robust increase in wind shear in the tropical Atlantic due to global warming, which may inhibit hurricane development and intensification. Historically, increased wind shear has been associated with reduced hurricane activity and intensity.

A hurricane isn't exactly chaos, it's a very organized movement of the atmosphere, and the thinking of that research is the increased chaos you describe impedes the formation of such organized movement.

edit on 2017125 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join