It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest DNA Analysis Shows The Yeti Are Actually Just a Bunch of Bears

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Yes, it's true.

The search for the elusive Yeti has not been a success, at least not in terms of studying the DNA of supposed Yeti.

www.sciencealert.com...

The Yeti of the mountains of Asia, hairy like a white ape, yet bipedal and standing taller than a man, is numbered among the world's most beloved cryptids. Yet, for all the eyewitness accounts, physical evidence of the beast is proving tricky to pin down.

Nary a fossil, nor a corpse. But, like its American cousin Bigfoot, pieces of hair and bone, of tooth and skin, have made their way into private collections. Now, DNA analysis on nine of those has proven there's still no physical evidence - all those samples came from regular old animals.

The nine samples, collected from the Himalayas and the Tibetan Plateau, included hair, skin, tooth, bone, and faecal matter. All but one of them turned out to be from bears - Asian black bears, Himalayan brown bears, or Tibetan brown bears.

The remaining sample, a tooth from the Reinhold Messner Mountain Museum, was from a domestic dog.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. There are plenty of other alleged cryptids to research, but using the science of genetics, all that has been found are the above-mentioned animals.

Not to say that there aren't undiscovered primates in the wild, but if they are, they are pretty much guaranteed not to be Yeti.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

You should see the bloke two doors down !
😄

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I would hardly take this as proof as over the years have seen and heard of different results,and the DNA had nothing to do with a bear,this is the first time I have heard of this site,and any testing they have done,no proof other then statements,way too compromising,taken as someones opinion

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   

The bear scene in the move Reverent scared the hoop out of me. The mother bear is crazy viscous defending her cubs.

Very graphic:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Or they just found bear DNA and called it Yeti DNA.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

So, it's not that the Yeti is just a bunch of bears, it's that the claimed samples in private collections are that of bears.

This doesn't exactly prove that the Yeti doesn't exist, but like the story notes, it just means that "there's still not physical evidence" of its existence...yet-I.

While it's nearly impossible to prove a negative--that something doesn't exist--it's very easy for skeptics to jump to that conclusion simply because it hasn't been proven at the current moment in time.

I get stories in my news feed from Science Alert...many of their stories leave me questioning just how scientific-minded they actually are.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

There is some ancient Korean folklore that people evolved from bears. I believe there is some native American ones too.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

On the fence regarding existence or not but the title and content of the article are full of holes.

All it means is the samples they tested were different bears. That's it. On what grounds can it suggest the Yeti is or isn't for real?

In order to claim Yeti are bears, every single square inch of territory would need to be searched to see if it contains a shed piece of fur or not. If it does, then it needs to be tested to see if it is a bear or not.

Obviously this is impossible so some degree of inference is required. However, to test a handful of samples and make the claim is no where near that degree.

I know there is debate on the gene testing of other samples on whether it's ancient polar bear, polar/brown hybrid, etc. All sides claim they are right and their testing sound. Of course.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
No doubt:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The crazy thing is that because bears are so big and powerful, they have not evolved the instinct to kill its prey quickly to avoid being injured itself..

See big cats and other animals go for the throat or spine to avoid being injured by the animals thrashing’s..

Well apparently bears are so big they had no need to evolve this themselves.. so they eat their prey still living..

This has lead to quite a few accounts where people have been recorded being slowly eaten..

One woman out hiking called her mother 3 Times over an hour and a half LITERALLY AS THE BEAR ATE HER, before she finally died from blood loss.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Darn it! I had a feeling these bears were wearing Big Foot masks all along! They took us for fools.

edit on 29-11-2017 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I saw an episode where Josh Gates literally traveled all over the world, going high in the mountains, and other remote areas where people allegedly had hair from bigfoot. He collected small samples of hair, bone fragment, or whatever else they might have to bring home and have it tested.

They were ALL bears, (different breeds according to the area) except for one, which was a wild boar.
When bears stand up on hind legs, they are huge, they roar loudly enough to scare you half to death, and they stink to high heaven. So yeah. Bears.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I have seen a copy of the interpretation of DNA analysis from one Bigfoot sighting fur sample. It was from somewhere in the USA and there were also some others from up in Canada that had similar DNA. According to the information, the DNA came from a creature similar to an apelike creature supposedly extinct for a while now. Not even close to a bear. This creature supposedly did walk upright. The original Yeti was supposed to be this creature, the Nazi's bagged many of them in the mountains and supposedly killed them off there. There are some of these stuffed creatures in some rich people's collections. They are more apes than Humans, they are evolved from the ancient creatures that are supposed to be extinct now.

This is what I got from someone who investigates these bigfoots, he is using scientific methods and research to base what he says, no fabrication involved. It is important that we leave the rest of these creatures be, we can't have hunters out killing off these beings, they are very rare nowadays. Hunters could wipe them out in a year and they will be extinct.

This article was investigating hoaxes. They must have handpicked the ones they ran tests on to make sure that they showed they were fake. How about if they found one of these Rich collectors and tested the DNA of their stuffed bigfoots or Yetis? They were very rare back in the thirties and forties when these were shot. I suppose they are writing this to protect the few still out there.

I have never seen a yeti or bigfoot, but evidently there are a few still out there out in the wild and they are no threat to us. So protecting them is important. They are supposedly not humanlike, they are more ape like but do walk upright a lot more than apes.

This is what I have read and heard. Do I believe these creatures exist? I believe they could exist and I am happy that their existence remains a myth to protect them.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

What?!?!

A) I can promise you there is no hair sample from an unknown ape on file able to be DNA tested..

If there were, that would be undeniable proof of “Bigfoot” a dfront page news..

I don’t doubt you saw an article claiming that, but I’m oretty sure they would have been lying or ATLEAST stretching the analysis..

I have watched people make similar claims for decades.. saying things like “preliminary DNA tests confirm it is an unknown ape” only for you never to hear anything about it again..

B) if there is s stuffed Bigfoot in a private collection, that is undeniable proof as well.. and again would be global front page news..

Plus, them predating WW2 would mean you couldn’t just have a handful of people who know about them and have chosen to keep them secret.. those collectors would have almost certainly died by now. That means it would require multiple generations to have all decided to continue the cover-up and forgo the world wide fame and fortune that came with revealing them publicly..

C)onclusion: Why cover Bigfoot up?? There is no real societal implications.

It wouldn't debunk some major religion or societal belief...

There would only be expenses in covering up , no profit.. all the profit is in the reveal..

It’s a mustache twirling villian conspiracy.. a conspiracy that no normal person would ever do.. a conspiracy that costs more money than it makes.. and has no motive someone could point to.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

B) if there is s stuffed Bigfoot in a private collection, that is undeniable proof as well.. and again would be global front page news..

Wrong:

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: rickymouse

What?!?!

A) I can promise you there is no hair sample from an unknown ape on file able to be DNA tested..

If there were, that would be undeniable proof of “Bigfoot” a dfront page news..

I don’t doubt you saw an article claiming that, but I’m oretty sure they would have been lying or ATLEAST stretching the analysis..

I have watched people make similar claims for decades.. saying things like “preliminary DNA tests confirm it is an unknown ape” only for you never to hear anything about it again..

Plus, them predating WW2 would mean you couldn’t just have a handful of people who know about them and have chosen to keep them secret.. those collectors would have almost certainly died by now. That means it would require multiple generations to have all decided to continue the cover-up and forgo the world wide fame and fortune that came with revealing them publicly..

C)onclusion: Why cover Bigfoot up?? There is no real societal implications.

It wouldn't debunk some major religion or societal belief...

There would only be expenses in covering up , no profit.. all the profit is in the reveal..

It’s a mustache twirling villian conspiracy.. a conspiracy that no normal person would ever do.. a conspiracy that costs more money than it makes.. and has no motive someone could point to.

Suppressing this information can protect these kind of rare animals. They are just Apes that live in the north anyway. They are rare and conventional endangered species regulations do not protect highly sought after trophies. If people Keep believing they do not really exist then they are safer, and if you shoot one you can go to jail for killing a rare animal even if they do not officially exist. Also, since you did not properly identify the bear that you shot at, they can confiscate your guns and you will not legally be able to own one for years.

So, I have to parrot that Bigfoots do not exist. That will be my final statement, since I have never seen one, they do not exist. You are right, stick with your beliefs.

Do you think just anyone would be able to see a billionaires endangered species collection? Do you think the police can arrest someone for an animal shot back in the forties? It is not illegal to own a trophy that was acquired before an endangered species was labeled as one. One day I actually researched the laws governing this, I found that out.

I knew someone who owned a stuffed endangered cat quite a few years ago, he inherited it from his father. It has been listed on the endangered species list for about forty years or more now, the stuffed animal is at least sixty or seventy years old. The guy is dead now I believe, or really old, I do not know what happened to that animal, I don't think he had any kids. His brother had kids.

edit on 29-11-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Mmmmm....

Although I appreciate the thread being posted, I personally am not convinced that this signifies any real proof one way or another.

I recently read a book by Loren Coleman about multi-millionaire Tom Slick (of Slick Oil) and his pursuit for a Yeti. They also had been able to gather up supposed Yeti bone and hair samples provided by local Monks that turned out to be a jigsaw-puzzle of dog, bear, yak and human remains all put together to resemble a Yeti. He was not impressed or thrown off his personal quest to try and capture and bring back to the United States a 'real Yeti'. One of the interesting aspects of the book was how Actor Jimmy Stewart helped out in their quest during some of his adventures to various Countries.

*Mis-Information*

So it would seem that the history of 'scamming' and 'hoaxing' is still alive and well. This has been the case here in the USA far long before PT Barnum knew that a sucker was born every minute (Fiji Mermaid). Fishermen in Japan and the East Indies had long constructed "hybrids" by stitching the upper bodies of apes onto the bodies of fish. They were sometimes used for religious purposes.

More recently we have had Rick Dyer hoaxing Bigfoot carcasses in 2008 and 2012. And then lets not forget Todd Standing and his (supposed) Bigfoot video's (that many claim is Standing himself dressed up as a Sasquatch). The ATSLive crew had a chance to interview Todd Standing where he publicly said he would send some Bigfoot 'scat' for us to analyze (BTW, were still waiting Todd....)

I mention the above because despite all of the hoaxes, negative press and fake news, the myth, the legend and to many the reality of a large bipedal hominid will continue. And I personally am hopeful that is the case.

You see I am on of those that has not just interviewed and investigated Hunters/Witnesses and their (supposed) encounters with a large hairy upright bipedal of yet undetermined genus. I am also someone that has witnessed, documented and photographed 'tree structures', footprints (largest set was 17" x 9") and have perhaps heard their speech (which I can only say was a mixture of guttural Samurai with occasional English words). I've had rocks and small boulders thrown at my camp while I was prospecting for Gold out in the middle of no-mans land. I've smelt (several times) the putrid almost stinking garbage-like smell. I've had 'something' shadow me a few times while walking in the backwoods of the Sierra's. I'd walk, they'd walk, I'd stop, they'd stop. The breaking and twisting of larger than softball-width-sized branches that were over 15 feet from the ground. I've found what appears to be nesting/bedding areas that had impressions of something very large lying there.

None of the above is any way shape or form 'proof' of what we call BigFoot. But all of these things do help me deduce that this is not being done by a bear. Besides, bears have claws in their footprints, these unsolved cases have toes (but no claws).

AnyWho... this is just my 2 cents on the subject, your thoughts might differ and that's fine too. I'm just an amateur investigator/researcher that spends many hours out in the woods... what on Earth could I possibly know?

Johnny

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I honestly don't know what to believe about this. I've heard firsthand accounts from people I respect too often to say for sure one way or the other.

I was working in Eureka, CA when a group of people, including a sheriff from a logging town in that part of the state confessed to hoaxing to draw tourists after the logging shut down. It was on the front page of the paper there. That was in 1987 or there about.

It may well be possible that many if not most sightings are bears, by people not familiar with them or the fact they can and do walk on two legs for at times a significant distance. I've seen black bear do that more than once.

This about the DNA tests on samples that came from places like monasteries in the Himalaya's, that had been all but worshiped actually being from bears was out months ago when I first saw it. I tend to think they would have rather had it turn out to be otherwise.

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

This it were real, Bigfoot wouldn’t be a cryptid..

He would be a known animal...

If they had a piece of a body that they thought was actually reall they would mail out dna swans to every lab in the country..

These idiots make fakes then refuse to have them tested.. it isn’t hard to see that...

Exactly who is profiting from keeping Bigfoot a secret?

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Good post.

Also, I think that hair samples and teeth should have been ruled out before getting into sequencing, etc. That is just overkill but adds some drama.

Without a type specimen, some of the techniques used won't be too helpful in identifying anything new. But yes, they need the right sample to begin with.

The older Sykes study, which is mentioned in the article, was not able to get results from some of the submitted samples. There have been many heated arguments (other sites...not going to link) on the way some of these tests are done and the way samples are handled and its a shame nothing indicating anything new (conclusively) has emerged.

I believe there are a few different types of human relatives that we will be publicly introduced to in the next decade.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join