It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burma's military junta issues warning to 'colonialists'.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Burma's leader General Than Shwe has warned his country to be alert against the West after his military junta was slammed for arresting pro-democracy leaders.

Source

Condoleezza Rice, President George W Bush's nominee as secretary of state, has identified "outposts of tyranny" where the US must help bring freedom.
They are Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Burma and Belarus.

Source

Now apart from not being surprised this as Burma has been a military dictatorship since the 1960's and considering China is one of it's neighbours, i'm sure Burma's military dictatorship will have a bit of 'back up' so to speak.

What does this mean? Probably more BushCo democracy.
I love democracy, just not the means that the current administration are going about delivering both rhetoric and past and possible future actions.

Sanc'.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:13 AM
link   
IMHO, this is probably a political reply to the US position.

Burma is formally a member of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), which association has very close ties with western countries (US included).

There should be no reason for Burma to be unduly worried about unilateral military action by anyone against them. The current tack is for a slow dialogue within ASEAN to get the junta to liberalise the country and reap the benefits of economic and political co-operation with member nations.

Whether this works or not remains to be seen. But this problem is an ASEAN problem and not an American problem.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by dixon
IMHO, this is probably a political reply to the US position.
Whether this works or not remains to be seen. But this problem is an ASEAN problem and not an American problem.

I think Dr. Rice has already made it an American problem.

Ms Rice was answering questions during a session of the US Senate, which is expected to confirm her in the post.

The comments were reminiscent of Mr Bush's "axis of evil" speech in 2002, in which he identified Iraq, Iran and North Korea as threats to US security.

Link

Sanc'.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Interesting if you take this postion to it's logical conclusion. Disband all regional groupings and invite Her Majesty Rice to run the entire region/s wherever seen fit.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Ahhh,more destinations in Bush's invasion trip.

1)Iran
2)N.Korea
3)Cuba
4)Zimbabwe
5)Burma
6)Belarus

Anymore Mr.Bush?

I am really sickened and tired of Bush going around and invading countries.When will this guy stop?

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartagram
Ahhh,more destinations in Bush's invasion trip.

1)Iran
2)N.Korea
3)Cuba
4)Zimbabwe
5)Burma
6)Belarus

Anymore Mr.Bush?

I am really sickened and tired of Bush going around and invading countries.When will this guy stop?

We only invade one country so far! On drugs?

When we soak our feet in the water of Singapore. Remember we have a base in the jungle close by.
I know we do!

Golden Shellback.......................................King Neptune Rex Royal Court

[edit on 15-2-2005 by Goldenshellback]

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
We aint going to invade Burma theres no reason they are not even trying to make any WMDs. Then we have the simple fact that it lies between India and China which have important economic ties to the US.

We are not going to risk pissing off India and China over this piece of !@#%* country.

new topics

top topics

join