It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic division of chores - who does more?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   
As a married man with a young child there are a lot of chores which require doing in our small household. My wife and myself both work 4 days a week leaving us a bit more time to get everything done, and our tasks do not necessarily fall along traditional gender lines.

Perhaps the 2 biggest tasks, cooking and cleaning have a slightly uneven split. Cooking is evenly divided, but my wife by virtue of being a lot more fussy than myself tends to do more of the hard-core cleaning. I wash dishes, vacuum, and tidy up, but she does the bulk of the bathroom and toilet stuff.

Caring for our 2 year old daughter is reasonably evenly split. Nappie changing, bathing, putting the toddler to bed, and childminding is more or less a 50/50 split. She tends to wash our daughter's clothing more often, but I usually hang it out.

Gardening is almost entirely done by myself, but the wife manages the finances. I do a lot more of the shopping and putting out of the rubbish.

If I had to quantify it I would say she probably does slightly more than me, plus she is a lot better at the general organizing and planning of things like finances, tax, bills, and vacation preparation.

I'm curious about the division of labour in other households - who does more in your house?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
get her off the finances! Lol

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bgerbger

Married with 3 kids.
The kids are all at that age, where they can clean their own bedrooms now.
The wife does our cooking 99% of the time.
I do the dishes - she flat out refuses to.
I work out of town 4 days a week. When I get home on Thursday's, every dish in the house is in the sink. - Drives me absolute bonkers.
She also does all the laundry for the 5 of us and a majority of the cleaning - mopping, the floors, the oven, cleaning up after the kids, dog and cats.
Shes a stay at home mom...and im forced to slave my life away

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

My wife does everything.

I'm just eye candy.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I cook,i Love cooking. I have a cleaning lady for a few hours 3 times a week for doing floors and general shifting the furniture and cleaning behind and underneath,that type of thing. I wash the dishes occasionally,more often our friend who lives with us,or the cleaning lady does that,though.Our friend does the lawn irrigation,or i do.My son feeds and waters the animals.My hubby brings home the bacon,he works hard,so i pardon him for his laziness at home lol.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   

chores cant be evenly split, thats life, life isnt fair, it is its own lesson for them. they will see coworkers doing less work then them for the same pay. it is life.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I do the cooking.
I do the laundry.
I do the cleaning.
I pay the bills.
My son cuts half of the grass.
My son takes out the garbage.
My daughter makes messes, sings, dances and perform social media chores (meaning that she posts on Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook... and she is older than my son).

Wife?
What's that?
I got rid of her 6 years ago... but the serial cheater didn't do any domestic duties anyway.
edit on b000000312017-10-25T07:09:16-05:0007America/ChicagoWed, 25 Oct 2017 07:09:16 -0500700000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
A similar story here.

Although my partner does the majority of cooking and cleaning, I'm the DIY/Handyman, Head of Security, Head Gardner/Landscape Designer, Interior Designer, Taxi Driver, School Liason Officer, Office Clown (Domesticated [In Progress]), Pest Controller in Chief, and Resident Strongman (In Progress, lol).

The money 'aint great, but the job satisfaction is through the roof,

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Things I do and why:
  • Cooking - otherwise we die of food borne illness
  • Home repairs - otherwise the house will collapse
  • Paying the bills - otherwise we end up broke
  • Vacuuming - otherwise the spiders get un-sucked up into the Dyson

Things she does and why:
  • Laundry - otherwise I'd wear the same s*** every day
  • Walking the dogs - I don't pick up poop and the neighbors get pissed
  • Grocery shopping - because I still don't know if I want paper or plastic (correct answer is apparently 'plastic' so you can pick up dog poop)
  • Cleaning the bathrooms - otherwise a bacterial colony worthy of CDC collection would form in them

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Pretty even split for me. Having gone through a divorce, and was in the same spot as "butcherguy" I can tell you that no household chore should be held against your spouse. When I was single, all chores were mine. Now that I'm remarried, any help I get is greatly appreciated.

I'd rather be in a home full of love and laughter, which may be a little messy, then in my home that's clean an tidy, but I'm alone.

I serve my family happily.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Walking the dogs - I don't pick up poop and the neighbors get pissed

Does she clean the goat poop off the roof?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Married 23 years here.
I do most of the cooking because the wife works hours that get her home later than me.
We do the dishes together or with our teen age daughter.
I have garbage duty.
She does the finances.
I do the lawn.
She does the flowers.
I wash most of the laundry, but she does her own work clothes. Folding is a team effort.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Sadly, no. I do that inadvertently when I have to shovel that mofo.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
He does dishes and most of the cooking although I do the baking. I do all the laundry because otherwise we'd be wearing stuff three sizes too small for us that got power shrunk because he doesn't read care labels.

He watches the finances. I do the research on stuff when a big purchase needs making.

Grocery shopping is a team effort with each reigning in the others' impulses.

All the rest is mostly on a as-needed team basis although he does mow.

We've been married over 20 years now.
edit on 25-10-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: butcherguy

Sadly, no. I do that inadvertently when I have to shovel that mofo.

And you do it like a boss.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Is there any other way to shovel 6' of snow from your roof?

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: network dude

Is there any other way to shovel 6' of snow from your roof?

I would have assumed that a man in your position would have a lowly paid minority type person to do that type of menial work for you?

I can imagine the smile on your face as you hear him slip and fall with a scream whilst sitting by a toasty warm fire and sipping brandy with a Hanibal Smith stlye cigar.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Been married 17 years. Three kids. He works. A lot. I do everything else. Cooking, cleaning, nursing babies, changing diapers, feeding animals, mowing grass, yard work, home maintenance, paying bills. It's my job. He brings home the money so I can.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I would have assumed that a man in your position would have a lowly paid minority type person to do that type of menial work for you?

The wife and I role play this one. I wait in front of the Home Depot and then she pulls up, asks me to shovel the roof and then promises to pay me after.

posted on Oct, 25 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
Been married 17 years. Three kids. He works. A lot. I do everything else. Cooking, cleaning, nursing babies, changing diapers, feeding animals, mowing grass, yard work, home maintenance, paying bills. It's my job. He brings home the money so I can.

About the same with me. Except change the kids to dogs. Husband works his butt off truck driving a week at a time, so I take care of the house, yard, finances, dogs.....I save the heavy stuff for him, and when he's home he cooks only certain things - the eggs, pancakes, stir fries, and all barbecue stuff.
It works out well.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join