It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Others (A must- watch film from 2001)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
With Halloween approaching, scary movies are being discussed.
I've encountered a good number of people who have not yet seen this film. IMO it's a masterpiece.
One of those rare films where everything came together and made magic. The setting is incredible.
Nicole Kidman's performance is fantastic. I'm so impressed with the film, I've watched it about 6 times.
It's that good. I can't recommend it highly enough.

WARNING! This trailer is OK, but if you search any further on YouTube, the spoilers are numerous.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I don't watch a lot of movies but this chiller was memorable. Great Halloween flick.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This was a really good movie. Unnerving for sure.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Excellent Halloween flick. Spooky and creepy without a vulgar display of violence like the numerous slasher flicks out there. Don't get me wrong, I love a good slasher flick, but this movie really impressed me.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I think I've seen or heard this one. But it's been a while.

Another great creepy film.

The Conjuring.

Starts up slow and builds up to all sorts of craziness in the end.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Couldn't even watch the trailer. New staff been told the old staff just disappeared and then some creepy looking kids which look like they could butcher you in your sleep start talking about the others? Nope not for me mate, no ta.

If I put a horror movie on I'm probably only ever going to watch maybe a quarter of the it due to me cowering behind my hands or pillow. I can't think of anything worse than the build up the scary jump scene where the creepy music starts. I can watch blood and gore, but creepy # that #s with your head like kids trapped in walls that eat people, walking on all 4's upside down whilst their heads rotating 180 is nightmare #.

I have a goth aunt who's daughter made me watch "children under the stairs" when I was like 8 that #ed me up man.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I swear that was a remake of one from maybe the late 70s. Did a quick search and didn't see it but am at work on smoke break. I seem to remember a scene maybe from previews of 2 kids in a barn a pitchfork tines up in the hay. Maybe that is in this trailer.

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, good call!

*Fun (on-topic) fact*

The movie was based on my home Island of Jersey, Channel Islands, in 1945.

It centers on one of the main characters (Nicole Kidman) waiting for her husband to return from war after the liberation of the Islands, which were the only part of the British Isles to have been occupied by German forces during WW2.

(The liberation finally took place during May of 1945, much to the relief of starving Islanders. When I find the time, I'll try to write a thread on the occupation of the Islands, it's fascinating stuff for those who are into that kind of thing.)

S+F

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackSkinhead
It was called People Under the Stairs, and those kids only ate dead people that were fed to them. My kids love the movie, they are a big fan of fool with his swift thinking and witty remarks. Plus the stash of gold and cash raining down on the neighborhood was fun.

walking on fours with a rotated head? Sounds like the Unborn to me. That # #ed my head up for a little while, no kidding!

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I recall seeing it in the cinema.

My buddy at the time thought it sucked, but I thought it was brilliant.

That last scene almost made me jump 10 meters into the air!

Whether it's more of a drama or thriller with some horror, I'm not sure.
It was so different to everything at the time.

About a week later a friend and her boyfriend saw it, and she was on acid at the time, and when they walked out the theater they both thought they were dead, and could walk through people and stuff.
But that's another story.

P.S. Best non-lgbt "coming out of the closet" scene ever!
edit on 18-10-2017 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

People under the Stairs is a great movie lol. Favorite of mine and my friends. "Gonna find ya... gonna kill ya.."

Back to the topic though. Loved "The Others". Went into it thinking it would be just ok. But found it to be quite good!

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:35 AM
link   
That's one of my favorite movies!

I love walking outside in the fog, so one day when there was areally heavy fog out, I got on my horse and went riding. Couldn't see more than three feet in front of me and everything took on this weird eery transformation. I couldn't really tell where I was after a while.
Started walking through a field of some sort, and came upon a huge mansion, which looked exactly like the house in that movie. It was so freaky, rising up out of that fog!

The wierd part? I never could find it again. Though I went exploring the same area with my horse looking for it many times afterwards, on sunny days.

ETA - Now that I think about it, if there were people in that house, it probaby seemed pretty freaky to see a woman on a black horse emerge from the fog and sit there staring at them for a long time before ambling back into the fog to disappear again...

You never know if YOU are the Other!
edit on 19-10-2017 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The movie I was thinking of was "The Other"... 1972

top topics

join