It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a380 news

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by amraam
Is anyone going to witness the test flight of the a380 in toulouse?

There will be lots of press there, dont worry

From what I have been told, the first flight will be between the 1st April and 15th April, depending on weather. The entire Toulouse airport will be shutdown for the duration of the flight, which will be 3 hours long. THe first hour will be flown with the wheels down, then various other tests will be carried out with the help of two chaseplanes.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Okay A380 types:

Pop Sci had a picture of the tale and the skin on the under part looked almost like scales?????? What the purpose of those????

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Okay A380 types:

Pop Sci had a picture of the tale and the skin on the under part looked almost like scales?????? What the purpose of those????

Ive got an idea, but Id need to see the photo to confirm it. Its probably just the composite panelling but until I see an example, Im not going to say that for sure.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Okay A380 types:

Scales you mean like fish scales? If that is the case perhaps they are there to help any that sink swim.

Sorry I could not resist!!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
A380 are ugly, but have a lot of thrust.

edit: removed the big-quote violation.

[edit on 18-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The new 777-300ER engines are rated at 127,000 dry thrust, and that's not enough for some operators. Ethiopian is asking GE and Rolls Royce to work on an engine that has more thrust than that for their versions. The cowling is so lard you can fit a 757 fuselage through it.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Right now Airbus is taking a huge hit due to fines for late delivery of the A380. At least one airline is threatening legal action against them for the project being at least 6 months late.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Right now Airbus is taking a huge hit due to fines for late delivery of the A380.

- Besides this being mentioned as maybe happening where do you get "huge hit" from, hmmm?

Do you really imagine this is the first brand new aircraft (particularly one so advanced and class-leading) to experience a slight delay like this?

At least one airline is threatening legal action against them for the project being at least 6 months late.

- Exactly, a threat of proceedure has been made, it might happen and some time later we'll get to hear the result.
(by the way the delay has been put at 2 - 6mths and is down to the cabin details, not a delay to "the project")

But own up, "huge hit" is purely your own invention/wishful thinking.

I don't suppose you have any idea of this kind of (small) delay in delivery with a certain manufacturers' new product, hmmmmmm?

Know much about the 747 delays for instance, hmmmm? How about the 757 delays, or the 767 delays or the 777 delays.
Think the 787 will come in right on the dot?
That'd be a first!

It is perfectly normal for a brand new aircraft to experience a delay to delivery, it is hardly the stuff of "huge hits" (unless an airline cancels).

(......and might I suggest that if folks are going to try and spin against and bash Airbus and their jets they might at least pick on something a tad less easy to rebutt or show Boeing and the rest of the industry are often guilty of too?)

[edit on 21-6-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Do I detect a theme devloping in the appearance of these airliner based threads?

I rather think I do.

Whilst some of the points made (across the threads) are quite valid and some others are not there does seem to be a barely disguised glee behing every story that shows Airbus, in particular, in a less than rosy glow.

Unless of course its my imagination

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Airbus said A380 deliveries to several airlines will be delayed by up to six months. Australia's Qantas and Singapore Airlines will seek compensation. Airbus expects to deliver the superjumbo jets in April 2007. The Wall Street Journal/Associated Press (subscription required) (6/1), Financial Times (London) (6/1)
Delay of superjumbo jet could cost Airbus millions in penalties
Penalties for late deliveries of the A380 could cost Airbus several million dollars. Airbus will postpone deliveries until the second half of 2006, an Airbus spokeswoman said. The company said it had trouble getting parts from suppliers and meeting airlines' specific configurations. The Wall Street Journal (subscription required) (6/2), The Washington Post (free registration) (6/2), The Seattle Times/Associated Press (free registration) (6/2)

I am not "gleeful" about delays to Airbus, or problems Airbus is having. I am giving information about them and asking questions about them. That is the point of this message board, right?

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am well aware that this is a normal delay. I also know very well that Boeing had the same problems with just about every plane they developed too. However right now Boeing isn't having the same problems with the planes they're coming out with so it's hard to say anything about them. Again, I guess we can't say anything bad about Airbus without being Airbus haters.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Here are some...

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
zaphod, I'm not the sort for a sly dig, if I'm aiming a comment at you I will clearly say so - look at my row with chinawhite for instance
- I am just making a general observation of what I have seen, as I did say, so please don't feel you have to defend your posts to me, you really don't. Unless you say something that really gets my goat anyway

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I am well aware that this is a normal delay.

- Well then why do you use such 'loaded' language?
What was all that "huge hit" nonsense all about then, hmmm?

Again, I guess we can't say anything bad about Airbus without being Airbus haters.

- No.
Once again a little perspective and a less prejoritive view would be more reasonable, is all.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well when I read articles talking about Airbus having to pay big fines, and possibly being sued for the delay of releasing a new plane, I'd have to say that's a huge hit, no matter who they are. There is talk that fines and lawsuits could run into millions of dollars. That's gonna be a big hit for any company, no matter what company they are. "Penalties for late deliveries of the A380 could cost Airbus several million dollars" and that's BEFORE any lawsuit if that goes forward. There is at least one airline that is considering one, and trying to talk others into joining them. Now no matter who you are, if you lose several million dollars just in penalties, no matter what the reason, that's a pretty big hit.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Unless of course its my imagination

Hmmmmm, it must be

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I read articles talking about Airbus.........possibly being sued for the delay of releasing a new plane........ There is talk that fines and lawsuits could run into millions of dollars............."Penalties for late deliveries of the A380 could cost Airbus several million dollars"................... There is at least one airline that is considering one, and trying to talk others into joining them. ....................if you lose several million dollars just in penalties, no matter what the reason, that's a pretty big hit.

- Yeah but it's all still a great big load of coulda, shoulda, woulda.

The delay is estimated to be between 2 and 6mths at this stage (2yrs out from delivery).

As said before this is nothing new and something all companies experience at some point or another.

It might well be that there is in fact no legal case, no fines, no penalties and that Airbus amicably settles this with no real fuss at all (through a price adjustment and/or maintenance agreement for instance).
Maybe that is in fact the more likely outcome actually......I see no cancellations of orders indicating a harsher 'mood' from anyone afterall.

If I'd seen another manufacturer crippled through this kind of 'event' then maybe I'd go along with your tone but I haven't and there is, as I said, just as big a chance this is all settled without the sky falling in on Airbus or anybody.

(How "huge a hit" were the delays to the 747, 757, 767, 777 etc etc to Boeing, hmmm?)

[edit on 22-6-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

"Penalties for late deliveries of the A380 could cost Airbus several million dollars"

Shock , horror! You do realise the projected revenue from the A380 is some £480billion.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
First of all I never said Airbus would be "crippled" by having to pay fines for the late delivery. I said they'd take a big hit from it. The word crippled was YOUR word. Delivery of the 380 is scheduled for next year, they are 6 months behind as of now. That's from Airbus themself. And I never said anyone was going to cancel orders, just that they were pursuing legal action for the delay to the project.

As far as the "Projected income" from the project, it's just that. PROJECTED. I'm sure it will be a huge project for them in the long run. A lot of people seem to want the plane. Any objections I have to Airbus, or the A380 are personal objections and feelings.

Boeing DID take hits for delays in their projects, again, I never said they didn't, but this thread is about the A380 so I've been trying to keep it to that. I don't have the figures but I know that at least one of those projects by Boeing they took a hit of close to $100 million for delays to it.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

First of all I never said Airbus would be "crippled" by having to pay fines for the late delivery. I said they'd take a big hit from it.

- You actually said "huge hit".

I'm saying you have no grounds to make such a big claim, that is all.

Delivery of the 380 is scheduled for next year, they are 6 months behind as of now. That's from Airbus themself.

- Actually if you look you'll see the last quarter of 06 mentioned as an estimate for first delivery date now.......although, correct me if I'm wrong, but Airbus itself has yet to publicly announce actual delivery dates......and there are official comments about this being a 2 - 6 mth delay, on the basis of cabin fit and not as you initially implied because of delays to the program itself.

And I never said anyone was going to cancel orders, just that they were pursuing legal action for the delay to the project.

- I spoke about there being no sign of any cancelled orders to demonstrate that the airlines see this as pretty normal (in fact Quantas - order delayed until April 07 - used exactly those words in their press statement on the matter) and that wild claims about this ending up in legal action and huge fines are pure unfounded speculation.

Like I said, an amicable solution between the parties is just as likely - if not more so given the lack of public row and the obviously non-soured relations - as the mere possibility of legal action at this time.

Boeing DID take hits for delays in their projects, again, I never said they didn't, but this thread is about the A380 so I've been trying to keep it to that.

- The reason I mentioned Boeing was that clearly these are normal delays that don't usually end up being a "huge hit" for anyone.
They're a simple fact of life and but a mere gnat bite in the overall finances of a successful aircraft manufacturing run.

BTW A380 orders are now up to 159 the last I saw (and thats with just one, the first prototype, flying).

The big beast is going to be a success and people who think otherwise are IMO partisan and totally in denial.

I don't have the figures but I know that at least one of those projects by Boeing they took a hit of close to $100 million for delays to it.

- Like I said, a mere gnat bite in a multi-billion Euro/$ project.
Oh of course they'd rather it in their pocket but set against multi billions over decades it's really inconsequential and nothing to be talking in terms of silly "huge hits".

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join