It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: majickJimi

Small electronic devices from your watch, phone, pc, right up to your car will be mainly unaffected by such a pulse

False.
You seem to be confusing the E3 pulse (the geomagnetic "heave") with the E1 pulse (the high energy blast of electromagnetic radiation). The E1 is bad for unhardened electronics.
www.futurescience.com...

It is true that the E3 pulse (like a geomagnetic storm) will not affect electronics (unless they happen to be plugged in at the time). But the real problem with E3 and power grids is not the voltage surge (not all that much, a few hundred volts maybe) but that it is a very low frequency current, essentially DC. DC currents cause havoc with our AC power grid. About the only thing that can be done about that is to shut the power down before the heave hits. With a geomagnetic storm that's feasible. With a nuclear EMP, not so much.

Actually Phage, it is quite true. Most small electronics is typically constructed with very short conductor lengths, which means that less energy will me induced...and One must remember that in order to affect electrical devices the "energy" must be "induced"...which immediately remove most of the "E" field effects.

In any case, the conductors available in small electronic devices are very short limiting the energy that can be induced. Plus, small electronic devices are typically located inside buildings. Those buildings act as a sort of "partial" Faraday Cage, further limiting the energy available for induction. The same hold true for automotive equipment as well...short conductor lengths, most of which is contained within a conductive shell.

Pluggedin devices may have to take their chances, as it will depend more on whether that device has a surge protector, no surge protection could mean dead device...but, not necessarily.

The power grids themselves will be the most affected, and by two of your three "pulses", and will likely only "trip" circuit protection...taking the grid off-line for a while. Your two primary or faster pulses will be the ONLY ones to seriously affect the power grid, they are fast enough to produce a pulse that can pass through transformers, etc. Your final and very slow "wave" won't do much to the power gris. This is because typically all a DC current does to an AC system is provide a DC offset. The DC current and voltage can not pass through a transformer, thus any very slow waves that are induced into the power lines (and it will HAVE to be the long wires of power distribution) will be stopped by the first available transformer...these "waves" will be confined entirely to long wires, and never make it past any transformer, and will likely be shunted at the first "sub-station".

In the article you linked it talked about a surface voltage of 50kv/m. You are aware, I hope, that this is actually a rather low value. For instance, a lightening strike can easily exceed that by orders of magnetude. I experienced one some years ago, lightening struck about 100m away...my old school CRT had its color scrambles, and my LAN went off line. I had to degauss the monitor and reset my LAN.

So, while One might want to avoid any long conductors during said EMP, the after effects will be light...mostly due to environmental shielding, short conductors, and because it will all hapen on a Wednesday.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I have been studying the reports of the dangers of EMP since the 1970s and i do not believe NK could knock out the US with any less then 6 nuclear weapons fire in just the right places over the US.

That would be 5 weapons spaced over just the right parts of the US and ONE over Alaska.

Those weapons would take out half of Canada and Mexico and do little to stop any nuke from being fired at NK and do little to US military equipment. EMP hitting Canada would just p**s off the UK and AU into getting even with NK.

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

a reply to: tovenar

No worries.
North Korea no longer poses a threat.

I know what you mean.

Doesn't it feel strange to now be having this conversation in a thread about a North Korean EMP attack that we are guaranteed won't ever happen?

-dex

posted on Jun, 16 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

No worries.

I know what you mean.

Doesn't it feel strange to now be having this conversation in a thread about a North Korean EMP attack that we are guaranteed won't ever happen?

-dex

What guarantee?

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: majickJimi

No worries.

I know what you mean.

-dex

What guarantee?

After Trump's North Korea summit isn't everyone celebrating "Peace for our time."

-dex

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: majickJimi

No worries.

I know what you mean.

-dex

What guarantee?

After Trump's North Korea summit isn't everyone celebrating "Peace for our time."

-dex

No, There are many that see that farce for what it was.

Kim gave nothing, Donald threw in a farm.
Great deal, eh? Nothing for something.
But, I suppose we'll see.

posted on Jun, 17 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Guess we missed that could you please inform us??

Thanks

posted on Jun, 18 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell

Guess we missed that could you please inform us??

Thanks

Yeah, I guess you did. Go back to sleep, it'll be alright.

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join