It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
My only concern would be that the diesel engines and electronics that power the cooling pools of nuclear power plants be properly faraday caged. When mass melt downs of core reactors takes place thats a real problem.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

I would hope the engineers and the Govt regs ensure a plan to keep these baby's cool.

But who would have guessed the genius Japanese would have put their system in such a numb nuts place with kindergartners style thinking the backup gens locations.

If I know industry, and I do. I am very concerned with this too.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: DexterRiley

If the transceivers for servicing the bird are dead, GPS signals will decay over time because the single satelites run out of sync. A charged up ionosphere could prevent propper communication. The clocks need to be synced manually now and then.

Interesting. So, if I understand you correctly, then the tracking stations outside of CONUS don't have the ability to tweak the satellites that the Master Control station does?

There is supposed to be a backup Master Control station somewhere. Is it located in the CONUS as well?

There are a couple of international efforts to put GPS birds in the sky. How well would they be able to provide navigational signals to receivers on the surface? In other words, how well would the remaining Global Positioning System function in the absence of the American birds?

Thanks
-dex

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

From what I understand, they would tap into the strategic petroleum reserve if necessary, but even that is finite.

A lot would depend on the location and type of blast as to what and how extensive the damage would be, but it could be very very bad for anyone on the hemisphere above which such detonations occur. I think a lot of people might have the idea that such an attack would only affect CONUS and not realize it could very well extend beyond our political borders to surrounding countries as well.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
the u.s. has detonated nuclear bombs in our atmosphere before. what makes this so different?

isn't a bomb just a bomb?

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Optimistic pessimism?

Speaking from a financially challenged position, it doesnt look as black as its painted and Im assuming the american sub-poverty line people will be much the same most places.

We always had to do with no AC and most of the time any heating was minimal, just ask the pensioners who died every year in their homes. Dietary requirements are much more frugal, being more noodles and sausage against Filet Mignon?
Dont know how we are going to keep the wine at the right temp though. Remember the tramp in Day After Tomorrow? "Always something to eat in the trash", not quite tht far but most would be grateful for what they can scavenge, the young ones will be too busy squeeling Eeewwe! NFWay! Or OMG etc.

Here in the UK we dont have the arms question to fret over, but thats going to set 'protectors' against 'Looters'.
Should things get all Denzel Washington, I would have to consider the 'out' option if offered as a last resort from the govt. Preppers do have a head start, those who could afford that. But for us mere mortals we would have to look at the budget option. Hand tools you can use and spares to trade etc. I heard a Yugoslavian guy who sorted out some refillable gas lighters and a way to refill them, that gave him a valued and renewable resource.

Home brew water filtering = you can supply/trade potable water.
Old type Handcart = you provide a working transport system for water, firewood, food supplies.
Firewood = have you any idea how much your local park is going to be attacked right from the start?
Large well built and straight men = essential security for your your growing family.
The Ham Radio buff = comms for contact bewteen groups re available resources. (most of these guys are aware of the need for hardening against EMP too.

Just check on YT how some are surviving in Detroit outlands, other places will be the same, if the can get by, so can you. And YOU need only survive, you dont need to score drugs, drink etc So the Walking Dead should thin out quicker.

I just hope Ive gone a little 'Chicken Little' and that Ill die on schedule in a few years or so.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm more afraid of nuclear warfare

posted on Oct, 18 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: subfab
the u.s. has detonated nuclear bombs in our atmosphere before. what makes this so different?

isn't a bomb just a bomb?

Way I understand it is it's all about proximity. If it's close enough and strong enough it will get what it can within it's range. To totally knock out the country I would imagine would take more than just one. But I will admit I am no expert on the subject.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join