It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22s return to the UK

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
For all of our friends in the UK, F-22s from the 27th Fighter Squadron, based out of Langley AFB arrived at Lakenheath today for a 2-3 week deployment, which will include forward deploying and training with allies.

There were rumors that F-35s would be joining them, but I haven't seen anything official about them deploying.

www.usafe.af.mil...

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

F-22A Raptor Fighter — $68,362 per hour (op cost)

At that cost per hour operating cost I hope there is a good reason, is this somehow related to NK?

outrunchange.com...

edit on 8-10-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Because they have to train. You can't sit them on the ground and expect your pilots to be able to fight if they need to. And you can't just throw them in with your allies and expect them to be able to work together seamlessly if they need to.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

There's a big training exercise going on off Scotland aimed at countering Russia called Formidable Shield.

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Why is it that all the fancy US aircraft turn up here when I can never get a chance to pay the bases a visit. I've got a week off next week and Lakenheath only being an hour or so away from me I'd be very tempted to go, but no I'm heading west to Cornwall (south west England) to go and see family. I could go at the start of next week but just don't have the money for fuel to be running around up and down the country. having moved out of my dads house I've now had to start paying rent and trying to save money I swear the USAF watch me and do this on purpose, damn them lol.

Even if I went and took some pics I have no lap top so cannot upload any pics. I suppose though if I visited the Lakenheath I'd only see them taking off and landing .. you can't beat seeing the F22 performing at an airshow

If could make it as well I'd be tempted to visit the Mach loop but again it's a lot of travelling and I simply don't have the time or money to get there. Meh there is always next year maybe
edit on 8-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Tell your family they know where you live, they can come visit anytime they want

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I was down there today. An Omni 767 and six Raptors came in. I'll post pics tomorrow

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Tell your family they know where you live, they can come visit anytime they want

I wish I could but it's a long story a story that doesn't need to be on a aviation forum, although Im know to take threads off topic I won't this time. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty more times I can visit air bases when I'm in a lot better position too

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: waynos
I was down there today. An Omni 767 and six Raptors came in. I'll post pics tomorrow

I'll look forward to seeing these Waynos .. then immediately after I'll envy you

posted on Oct, 8 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos

So it did turn out to be six? It was going back and forth in the spotter groups if it was six or twelve. Interestingly it looks like they ate stopping on their way home from the ME. The KC-10 came out of Spain and met up with them in the air.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yeah, six yesterday. In the distance we saw the accompanying KC-10 and KC-135 land at Mildenhall. Word is that six more arrive on Tuesday as these six leave. I can't confirm that though.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   

I feel your pain mate. Missed so many opportunities due to other commitments it hurts.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Buy a 35 mm film camera that produces actual photographs when procest properly. Thats what I do for the important stuff, then they can be uploaded when a scanner is available, and you still have the backup original hard copies.
The originals are not pixelated either.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff
I think I'll take my loss on missing out aircraft spotting on the chin I've got far too many commitments and stuff to sort than worrying about missing aircraft here in the UK but thanks for the advice

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I was mostly kidding. Mostly.

I was stationed at Lakenheath in the mid 00s. I always thought it was neat how all the plane spotters would be lining the fence keeping track of what was taking off, and apparently what they're taking off with from what I've seen here.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Here are the promised photos from Sunday, Please allow for the fact that this was an October evening in the UK, with awful light.

Zap, can you enlighten as to why one aircraft had '27th FS' on the tail rather than the usual AF code? Is that the squadron commander's aircraft?

In addition a Laser Defence Gulfstream arrived today, this one is not my photo, but i thought you'd like to see it

edit on 9-10-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Yep. One aircraft is selected for the squadron, and one is selected for the wing. So you'll see 27th FS for the squadron bird in this case, and somewhere out there is one with 1st FW, that is the wing bird.

God they're still using a G-III? I thought for sure they'd have upgraded that thing to at least a IV.
edit on 10/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Great set of photos Waynos. What camera equipment are you using, and what settings, if you dont mind me asking.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Essentially, that plane is the squadron's lead plane. That doesn't necessarily always mean the squadron commander is flying it though.

Great pics btw.
edit on 9 10 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9 10 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

The 192nd FW aircraft is also with them.

Looks like the Omni brought some guys from a deployment.
edit on 10/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join