It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22s return to the UK

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: waynos
Great shots Waynos! Loving the one of the of the 4 F22s lined up for landing. Thanks for sharing

Oh and I think F22s with their drop tanks make the aircraft look like a beast. When I first saw a 22 at Fairford I couldn't believe just how big they were and the tanks make them look even bigger.

A question for the experts, I'm presuming the added fuel tanks are not actually drop tanks. They keep them attached until they are not needed after they are removed ?

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Double post sorry .. stupid phone
edit on 9-10-2017 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

All externals used on fighters are drop tanks. They're removed and stored when not in use, and when on the aircraft, have a pair of charges in the pylon that can drop them as needed.
edit on 10/9/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

I was mostly kidding. Mostly.

I was stationed at Lakenheath in the mid 00s. I always thought it was neat how all the plane spotters would be lining the fence keeping track of what was taking off, and apparently what they're taking off with from what I've seen here.

Yeah I know you were kidding
I use to love going to Mildenhall has a kid when they use to do their air fetes. As for plane spotting I try and explain to people why I enjoy it so much, i do it for the photography I watched most of RAF Fairfords airshow this year through my view finder. Another thing is I grew up from a very young age going to airshows with my family all across England so I guess I was born into aircraft spotting. I live under a lot of flight paths mainly the inbound flights into Heathrow from the East toward the UK (flights from Asia etc) but living just east of London the skies are constantly busy. I sit in my friends garden sometimes and I'm able to usually tell them where a certain plain has come from or where it's going to. It's just something I've grown up being interested in I think I look at the sky more than I do than what's in front of me

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

All externals used on fighters are drop tanks. They're removed and stored when not in use, and when on the aircraft, have a pair of charges in the pylon that can drop them as needed.

Ah I see I thought the term drop tanks was an old saying when aircraft use to drop them once they were empty I assumed this day in age with air to air refuelling they never actually dropped the tanks but were just removed when they had landed. Thanks for the clarification

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

They will drop them before going into combat if necessary. There are also times when they'd have to drop them during an emergency to reduce drag, or weight on the aircraft.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ah right. Very interesting. Thanks, I was a bit puzzled by that.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

Thanks to you and the other guys who are complimentary about my pics. I used a Canon eos6d and ef100-400L . For this light I set shutter to 1/320, aperture to 5.6 and auto ISO.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Sometimes, with the more conventional aircraft, they go for a little more flare and shadow the lettering.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Awesome Pics Waynos!

Hopefully we get to see some Mach Loop stuff soon!

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Just checked out your photos on your flickr link. Fantastic photography there as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThePeaceMaker

originally posted by: face23785

I was mostly kidding. Mostly.

I was stationed at Lakenheath in the mid 00s. I always thought it was neat how all the plane spotters would be lining the fence keeping track of what was taking off, and apparently what they're taking off with from what I've seen here.

Yeah I know you were kidding
I use to love going to Mildenhall has a kid when they use to do their air fetes. As for plane spotting I try and explain to people why I enjoy it so much, i do it for the photography I watched most of RAF Fairfords airshow this year through my view finder. Another thing is I grew up from a very young age going to airshows with my family all across England so I guess I was born into aircraft spotting. I live under a lot of flight paths mainly the inbound flights into Heathrow from the East toward the UK (flights from Asia etc) but living just east of London the skies are constantly busy. I sit in my friends garden sometimes and I'm able to usually tell them where a certain plain has come from or where it's going to. It's just something I've grown up being interested in I think I look at the sky more than I do than what's in front of me

I'm not quite as into it but I do understand those that are. I always enjoyed working around the aircraft and hey, free air show every day.

Actually Lakenheath was my favorite assignment as far as the work was concerned (Alaska tops it in terms of how much I enjoyed living there, Alaska is beautiful). We did lots of hot refueling when I was at Lakenheath, where we refuel the planes while they're still powered up. Basically they would take off on training flights, and we would set 5 or 6 fuel trucks up on a ramp in what we called "lanes", the planes would land and taxi down and enter a lane, stop, we'd hop out and refuel them and they'd pull out and go right back up again.

The thing is, F-15s take a lot of fuel for a fighter, especially the E-models. So depending on how they were configured, you might dump 3/4 of your truck into one plane. Then the next plane would pull in, you'd give him the rest of your fuel load, then you'd have to leave and another truck would pull in to finish him off. So imagine this going on with 6 lanes, trucks and planes pulling in and out constantly over the space of 20 or 30 minutes until we get them all fueled. It's crazy, dangerous, but fun.

We did this with A-10s when I was at Fort Bragg and you'd sit there and fill 4 or 5 A-10s with one truck haha.

posted on Oct, 10 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

Thank you, you're very kind.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I heard at least one, possibly two B-1s arrived at Fairford in the last 24 hours. Two of the F-22s went on to Germany, no word on how long.

posted on Oct, 14 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Oh of course they all turn up just as my week off work finished. I'm beginning to think your statement of they know my rota was true.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The other six arrived from the UAE today. Interestingly one seems to have 1st OG on the tail. First time I've seen an Operations Group tail.
edit on 10/17/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Typically, I went yesterday rather than today. I saw very little raptor action but the varying light from Storm Ophelia made for some interesting shots. Here are a few of them;

edit on 17-10-2017 by waynos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Awesome shots as usual. I always look forward to your excursions.

I'm hoping something will be around when I get to Dyess in a couple hours.

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Great shots!!

I know the Raptor is far superior, but the Eagle just looks like a fighter...the Raptor looks somewhat dumpy in comparison. At least to me.

Thanks for the pictures!

posted on Oct, 17 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Cheers. Yes the Eagle is a plane that the camera loves

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join