It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to start?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I want to study the paranormal. Big field, I know but I'm struggling to find a place to start.

A few things: firstly, I'm hugely sceptical but that doesn't mean I don't find such things fascinating; I am in the London area of the UK; sites I've seen on the web are, naturally, dubious looking and asking for money.

The OU is strangely lacking, perhaps because the whole thing is a little too esoteric for them.

ATS is probably not the best starting point for this but I'm getting more and more flummoxed as to where to start looking for, at least, an introduction to the subject and where to go to further my "education". I know there will be a lot of less than genuine shysters out there so my suspicion senses will be tingling.

Any pointers gladly received.

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Inside yourself. Nothing's creepier. Also if you want to get into magic and the occult that's where the demons come from.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I haven’t found anything paranormal worth much research, personally and I have ABSOLUTELY looked.

I would love to find some example of a legit mystery the “breaks the laws of physics” or hints at some deeper truth ignored by science..

I think most people would..

But when I look into a conspiracy theory. I then go check the historical/scientific rebuttal and the rebuttal has always made WAY more sense..

The conclusion I have come to is ...

After literally almost every single human being in history , spending at least a portion of their life trying to find some proof of their religion or the supernatural. What do we have to show for it???

Testimonials....

Not one single example of a repeatable , spell, prayer or summoning that has a measurable effect on reality..

Not one.. and we spent the vast majority of human history letting those types run society..

Then we kinda push all the supernatural to the side and only focus on measurable testable variables, and we go from the horse and buggy to the moon in less than a century..

Way less really.. what 60 or 70 years??

Shouldn’t we have just one artifact or incantation that is repeatable and science can’t explain???

We can look all the way down to the atom and billions of light years into space, but we can’t find a single ghost??

Human beings are just horrible witnesses.. it is down right horrifying we base most criminal charges on that alone.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Paranormal is a big field...maybe try and narrow your subject field to a few specific things...

My biggest advice is...listen to the skeptics, listen to the skeptical, educate yourself on the "against" arguments as a first step. Then investigate the history of whichever field in particular you have interest. Don't be afraid to dismiss frauds, or to file particular events in the "gray" basket.

Take a serious approach to whichever subject of interest you have, and you won't be disappointed.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

WHY ? You point out that you are hugely sceptical and that you recognize that the ''field' is dubious looking. So, why, when you suspect that much of what you will find is motivated by a desire to make money and hence questionable.
The published field of paranormal has been awash in big books and big big movies for decades and gone mostly to fiction.

Rather than ''the paranormal'' as such, try something else, more spiritual maybe like ''Autobiography of a Yog1'' by Paramahansa Yogananda.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Start with an Ouija board.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

WHY ? You point out that you are hugely sceptical and that you recognize that the ''field' is dubious looking. So, why, when you suspect that much of what you will find is motivated by a desire to make money and hence questionable.
The published field of paranormal has been awash in big books and big big movies for decades and gone mostly to fiction.

Rather than ''the paranormal'' as such, try something else, more spiritual maybe like ''Autobiography of a Yog1'' by Paramahansa Yogananda.

Sceptical doesn't mean uninterested. Perhaps the field I find most fascinating is hauntings and things of that ilk. Perhaps narrowing my parameters might prove more fruitful

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The thing about starting to investigate the Paranormal is it doesn't work like that.

Even though it is all around us all the time, very few people actually command the spirit world, searching for it might be a letdown.

Most of the time, it finds you.

Then you go hey, what the hell was that?

Thats a good place to start.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Quantum physics.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

intrptr above hits it. ''Most of the time, it finds you'' . Any experiences you think you might have had, read a little on that and then digest it without just ''taking'' someone elses word for what you have experienced.

Also posted by vini above, a beginners study into the field of QP could help be productive.
Also as posted by Skywatcher, one of the most popular avenues to experiment in is the Ouija Board. You might read up on that, all the pros and cons and ideas that suggest how it works before working with it. It may work with you and it may not.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Hmm...

Thanks all, you've got me thinking of a few things:

- Odd, seemingly random, possible but doubtful poltergeist activity in my house

- Lucid and vivid dreams involving controlled and uncontrolled levitation or flight

- The touch of a spirit which I put down to REM sleep state but was interesting nonetheless

- Precognitive events during my martial arts days which I'll accredit to muscle memory

- Cats that watch noone come down the stairs or study "spirits" that float just above and behind me... Which is probably just cats having a "nuts" moment which is their wont

And lastly just *knowing* the outcome of an event although this is most likely intuition and fortuitous guesswork. Ah well, lots to ponder. Ta again.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The Book of the Damned by Charles Fort might be a good place to start. It is hard to recall a starting point, since I am so far down the rabbit hole that I do not even remember what the topside looks like anymore. You should easily be able to find a free legal copy.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill
The Book of the Damned by Charles Fort might be a good place to start. It is hard to recall a starting point, since I am so far down the rabbit hole that I do not even remember what the topside looks like anymore. You should easily be able to find a free legal copy.

He of "Fortean Times" fame eh? A periodical I do pick up from time to time! Incidentally, the book you mention is free in its Kindle incarnation which I have now downloaded and will read once said Kindle has had its battery recharged - which seems to have rapidly discharged... Spooky!
edit on 4102017 by MrCrow because: Grammar fail

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
As mentioned earlier, try out an Ouija board, perhaps at an old cemetery?? When I say old, I mean like European old going back to the 17th century. If you are in North America you could probably find one that old further North. Nice creepy places with history and a window to access it (the board) may bring some fun and interesting experiences.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

I... have an issue with those despite my scepticism. For some reason, I feel I'd be dabbling in something I know nothing about and I feel a real reluctance to try it. Perhaps its a media influence, perhaps its my mother's one time experience, I dunno.

As to graveyards, I have access to ones dating back millenia but the thought of having a Ouija session in one? Nope.

Irrational? Yes, perhaps.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

You can study parapsychology as an elective component of undergrad psychology at most universities. Even A-Level psychology includes it as a way of applying statistical methodology to a subject that attracts enthusiasm. The academic field is mostly 'hugely skeptical' too so you'd be fine with the programmes of study; good list of courses here. It's a huge financial commitment with tuition fees being so high and employment opportunities so few.

An alternative approach is to get immersed in the existing academic literature and study the historical research. For instance, the Society for Psychical Research (London-based) have a lot of old publications available over here. I subscribe to Alvarado's Parapsychology blog which posts research links, articles and news.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Brill! Many thanks!

ETA: I'm not looking for employment, just my own edification of subject(s) so perhaps I'll look into a "parapsychology for dummies" doodad. I have no higher education qualifications anyway so enrolement in a uni (or similar) thing may prove difficult.

edit on 4102017 by MrCrow because: Clarification

edit on 4102017 by MrCrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Be very careful about getting into the paranormal ,I have seen many a man go down that path and they were never the same again,I know of one named Peters who went completely mad.
I mean like locked up in an asylum in a straitjacket mad,be aware what you are getting when go about seeking to open Pandora's box .

I have seen the dangers of the paranormal and so I avoid it just as the Lord has shown and told me I should. I was at a crossroads where I could go left and take the wrong path or go right and take a tougher road,but the tougher road is often the right one,nothing worth while is easy.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

No worries.

I forgot to add the Paranthropology Journal. It's a free UK journal run by Jack Hunter PhD. They publish some fascinating articles by researchers who explore UK suburban folklore or go as far away as Sub-Saharan Africa and the Americas. It's not for everyone so pick an issue and see what you think.

I'm not looking for employment, just my own edification of subject(s) so perhaps I'll look into a "parapsychology for dummies" doodad

Best approach! No harm in pursuing something that catches your fancy.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Some great advice on this thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join