It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There a Way to Enable Unlimited Editing of a Post?.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I'd like unlimited capability to edit other people's posts. You'd all be saying the strangest stuff.

edit on 4-10-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I need my last post in the Vegas shooter thread edited by a mod. It went all split screen and weird looking www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

I fixed it.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
I want to start a thread about ObamaCare-Healthcare 2018, and continually add to the original, thread-starting post, as new information comes forth during 2018. I do this in our insurance industry forum each year, but haven't figured out how to do so at ATS.

Can anyone offer guidance or advice in this matter? Thanks in advance.

-CareWeMust

I agree, and I proposed something similar last year HERE.

Some people might argue that it could be use deceitfully, but I think after the allotted standard time, the original text cold not be edited, but one should still be able to edit OPs to add relevant information—with timestamps and in order—to the end of the OP.

That way said relevant information is present at the beginning, instead of having to sift through pages and pages of a thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Thank you 😊

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

No one knows the backstory to Back to the Future? It's how Doc Brown came up with and eventually made the flux capacitor, which was powered by plutonium originally until the addition of Mr Fusion.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: carewemust

After the alloted time? No. But you can add: EDIT TO OP

"EDIT TO OP"? I don't know what that means, but if you can't edit after the allotted time, it doesn't matter. Right?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

I see there's a 4 hour limit. Oh well.. I'll investigate work-arounds.

The message says 4 hours, but the true limit is 2 hours. When you edit a post within the time, you will see a message above the edit box telling you how much time is left. That message is counting down from 120 minutes, which is 2 hours.

It used to really be 4 hours. Apparently the time was reduced to 2 at some point. Thanks for replying, Disraeli.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I want to start a thread about ObamaCare-Healthcare 2018, and continually add to the original, thread-starting post, as new information comes forth during 2018. I do this in our insurance industry forum each year, but haven't figured out how to do so at ATS.

Can anyone offer guidance or advice in this matter? Thanks in advance.

-CareWeMust

I agree, and I proposed something similar last year HERE.

Some people might argue that it could be use deceitfully, but I think after the allotted standard time, the original text cold not be edited, but one should still be able to edit OPs to add relevant information—with timestamps and in order—to the end of the OP.

That way said relevant information is present at the beginning, instead of having to sift through pages and pages of a thread.

YES YES YES. That's exactly what I want to be able to do. Compile and share a "grocery list" of important ObamaCare 2018 items, as the government and insurance companies spit them out.

I do this for my colleagues in our healthcare and insurance industry forum. Because so much is coming down the pipe that will affect every American next year, I wanted to start growing an ATS list, within the Original Post.

If I were to attempt this, the way ATS is set up now, these items would be spread over pages, just like you stated.

ATS should allow us to BUY IN to a "premium account" that allows more control over what we can do, if our membership history is relatively clean.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Threads last forever on-site. It means an additional "edit to add to the original, opening post" without replicating the whole post over and over and over into days, months, years, for the sake of space.

Otherwise, said original post that was posted.... could end up being pages and pages long with the additions to it. Thats pretty easy to understand, right?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Actually, the OP could not go on for pages and pages.
There is a character limit in posts.

In the past, there have been requests made to staff to edit updates into the OP.
edit on Thu Oct 5 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Mods have been pretty good with helping you adding content to the OP after the time is up. That is if you have a very good reason.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Given how busy the Overlord is these days, I doubt code changes are in the cards. However, we do try to be helpful wherever we can.

If a post outside the edit window needs an update, you can send a note to staff with a link to the post in question and a description of what you would like added or changed, ideally including the specific text desired so we can copy/paste it in.

As long as we're not bombarded with tons of such requests, it shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I know. But for my purposes, the O.P. would not become that long. Besides, I've found that older threads are off of most member's radar..even if a new post is added to that thread.

When I first log into ATS, I click on "RECENT" to see what the topics of the moment are. But apparently relatively few members do this. Most start their ATS session in some other fashion. This makes starting new threads more appealing, but that negates the ability to keep a subject coherent and flowing as changes occur.

For example, today, I'd like to point out something about Nancy Pelosi. I could add to one of the many existing Nancy Pelosi threads...bumping it to the top of the list of "RECENT" activity, but not many people would see it. I'm debating whether or not calls for top Democrats for her to give up the throne today, is worthy of a thread of its own. Probably not.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Mods have been pretty good with helping you adding content to the OP after the time is up. That is if you have a very good reason.

OK..thank-you for that info! Will consider it, after I learn how to contact Moderators properly.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
Given how busy the Overlord is these days, I doubt code changes are in the cards. However, we do try to be helpful wherever we can.

If a post outside the edit window needs an update, you can send a note to staff with a link to the post in question and a description of what you would like added or changed, ideally including the specific text desired so we can copy/paste it in.

As long as we're not bombarded with tons of such requests, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank-you for that VALUABLE information, Majic. That's AWESOME!!

I promise not to be a bother. There's just one subject I have in mind. Tenatively entitled, "ObamaCare Time Bombs Will Negatively Affect All Americans Soon!"

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Pfft, leave it to Majic to be helpful and stuff. I just wanted to see you feel cool while driving a DeLorean.

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

Pfft, leave it to Majic to be helpful and stuff. I just wanted to see you feel cool while driving a DeLorean.

Don't tell me there's still some of those stainless steel DeLoreans on the road. What about Yugos and K-Cars?

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Will consider it, after I learn how to contact Moderators properly.

Check your PMs

posted on Oct, 5 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

..after I learn how to contact Moderators properly.

I found using plenty of curse words in a post to be the most effective method.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join