It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How Late Night Comedians Hurt America"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You guys like your fat and easy targets.

And I truly regret we have such an abundance to choose from.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There's the rub. The left acts like all conservatives are too dumb or uneducated to discern opinion from fact. We've heard it time and again from the MSM and daily here on ATS. It's that superiority complex that is driving the division.

Psh. Both sides do that. Hell you are doing it in this post. "the left acts like ..." Yeah. EXACT. SAME. THING.

I never said they're weren't some on the right, but it's undeniable that it's a mainstream belief on the left. "Low information voters", "the bumpkins in flyover country" - these things are said in the mainstream media. Not just HuffPo. The only place you'll find derogatory remarks about the left is in the conservative fringes - Breitbart, Rush, etc. - never EVER in the MSM, which you seem to believe should be our sole source of info.

Exactly my point. This OP is nonsense. Late night comedy has done its thing for a while now. You either like it or don't, but it isn't changing lives.

Pretty sure I addressed that in my 1st comment. See, we can agree

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

And I truly regret we have such an abundance to choose from.

There is a fine line between satire and cruelty. Choose wisely.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Do you know how often I hear conservatives on this very website speak for liberals, call them libtards, imply some wild strawman about liberals applies to me even though I never voiced anything near that argument?

never EVER in the MSM, which you seem to believe should be our sole source of info.

Fox News is the MSM. Here's an article from them I found after a quick Google search:
Liberals (and the media) are finally getting the violence they wanted
I don't recall wanting any violence.

Quick! Check outside for any flying pigs.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

never EVER in the MSM, which you seem to believe should be our sole source of info.

Fox News is the MSM.

Yay! One (and only one) for us. But is it my only source? Not even close.

Nothing so far... they're about as rare as the mythical "fair and balanced" news outlet.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Goedhardt

Hey OP, if you're interested in an easy read, I wrote about this topic a while back.

The Poor State of Satire

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
Thank you! Quite interesting!

Reading the posts, I am a little bit surprised that most don’t care about those comedians and their opinions at all. To be honest, I don’t have much access to American news directly as a non-American, just CNN, Fox and Coast to Coast AM... I’m glad that freedom of speech is so sacred to most of you! This seems to be so different then what I read in the media!
Again I want to point out, as OP of this topic, that the video does not fully reflect my opinion. Please read back to my previous post for this.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I'm sure they exists, but I can't seem to think of any off the top of my head...any one know of any pro-Nazi comdeians ? Late night or otherwise ?

tongue in cheek, but my point is I can't think of anyone being genuinely funny who doesn't pander to topical political satire currently.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   
My god, OP, if late-night comedians are terrible, then what does George Carlin's stuff do to you? Make you cry hysterically while rocking in the corner?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   

A government which cannot take satire is not worthy of its role, and a nation which is harmed by satire is unfit to call itself a nation, unless nation has been redefined as "A collective of weak willed, mindless, pathetic, terrified, criticism averse cretins without a single redeeming feature".

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well I was using the word 'truth' in a vague, everyday sense. When someone shares their opinion with me I often reply with "that's true!", even if it's something totally subjective, like which sandwich is the nicest sandwich, or what not. But OK, let's just say I agreed with some of the opinions voiced.

I think he is right that you can justify saying a lot of things if you present it as humor. And that those shows are alienating to rednecks, people in flyover country, however you want to put it. I also have a feeling that there's something dysfunctional about how centralized comedy has become with the introduction of mass media; a very few entertain millions. Just something I've been thinking about, I feel like it might lead to people being less imaginative for themselves. BUT, mind you, that has been the case for many decades, even for centuries, to some degree, and it's not the fault of liberals.

Which leads me to this; I don't approve of the punditry in that video, trying to defend Trump from the evil MSM, implying that liberals are brainwashed. Especially when Trump's supporters in media usually do much worse, blatantly lying and maligning the left. Also, I don't think Kimmel or any of the people mentioned are bad, I think it's really good that expose the hypocrisy and stupidity going on.

All I was trying to say was that there where some seeds of truth in the video, even though kind of #ty. I think it'd be quite extraordinary if it contained absolutely no truth at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Fox News is the MSM. Here's an article from them I found after a quick Google search:
Liberals (and the media) are finally getting the violence they wanted
I don't recall wanting any violence.

And liberals like myself are also pacifists. So it's even more bewildering how the left can be simultaneously attacked for being "violence craving", while also attacked for being anti-gun pacifist hippies.

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Satire and Comedy are not the problem.

Passing satire and comedy off as a news program and/or critical analysis... THAT is a problem. Treating humor as information means that reason is replaced with emotion.

We now have a significant portion of the younger generation who think The Daily Show is a valid news source, when it is the epitome of fake news.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join