It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How Late Night Comedians Hurt America"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I stumbled upon this video. I did a search, but did not find it yet.
@ mods: If this is posted in the wrong forum, please feel free to replace it!

I would love to know your opinions about this!

Is it the old fashioned complaining to the elite/showbiz/artists like the Dark Ages, or are the 'comedians' (and others) actually to blame for the demise and divide in the political spectrum and the whole of our society?

Full link

-Hopefully the embedding worked-

I personally think it is a bit of both.. Trump does stupid things, but the framing from the 'left' is just to much... I think it is a lack of inspiration and creativity from the so called comedians to use the same topic every single night.. The ratings of the shows tell all...

edit on 17-05-1983 by Goedhardt because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-05-1983 by Goedhardt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Goedhardt

Is this the video you were trying to embed?

You only need everything after the = sign.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Yes, thank you FauxMulder! And I figured it out myself also

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   
In general laughing never hurt anyone. How comedy hurts america?

Puhleese.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It sometimes hurts free speech: When you have an different opinion, then you are an (Nazi/sexist/Xenofoob/racist/freak/-and so on-). So people are afraid to speak.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
It's called satire! it takes the pee, the cant and hypocrisy out of pathetic public figures, and it's been done for decades...and decades. Trump, as video man actually points out, just happens to be top of the list in the bullshiite club, however video man doesn't like taking the pee out of Trump, and comes up with an equally bullshiite theory using, 'herd mentality' as a political MO. It's then supposed to be plausible to those looking at the video, as a scenario where 'they' work late into the dark night on their political agenda....

You should be asking who the heck is video man working for!

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hmm.
Guy doesn't like comedians making fun of politicians.

I wonder what nations on earth decided to ban that...Those seem like fun places.

Like it or not, its those late night jokesters that is the backbone of what makes this country (and many others that allow this) great.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX
I personally think that it is dangerous when you can not ridicule power (whatever it is). So I do agree partly. But the media have power also, and they have this platform to millions of people. So I do think they have a responsibility to be somewhat fair, and not nagging on and on with half truths.

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I wonder what hurts America more.

Having a President who makes fun of handicapped people, treats women like pieces of meat, lies through his teeth everyday, is dumb as a rock and knows next to nothing about American History, is clearly a racist, OR

People who call him out on that?

Let me think which is worse. ?

: rolls eyes:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Goedhardt
a reply to: SaturnFX
I personally think that it is dangerous when you can not ridicule power (whatever it is). So I do agree partly. But the media have power also, and they have this platform to millions of people. So I do think they have a responsibility to be somewhat fair, and not nagging on and on with half truths.

That's the thing though, if the comedians were telling out-and-out lies, they could be sued. (And Trump is notoriously litigious.)

Like John Oliver's show, they clearly do a ton of research on every story and joke they tell, because they accept they have that responsibility you mention to be fair and tell the truth, and also because if they didn't, they'd get taken to court.

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

The John Oliver exposes are terrific. I think the issues he covers are important issues for people on the left of the political spectrum. If what you are hoping for by saying "actually to blame for the demise and divide in the political spectrum and the whole of our society" is to get rid of the political views of the left then good luck with that.

Here, John Oliver has an excellent expose on used car organized crime embedded in our government:

If you want to understand why people are rioting in cities look at this one:

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You do realize right that Satire and blatant comedic attacks are banned in Totalitarian states? Russia, NAZI Germany, Italy all rounded up any anti-government comedians or would regulate what was consider "Comedy"

Why do you think that suddenly all the Late Night talk show hosts are on the band-wagon because there are those watching who on the surface support Trump but know deep down he is a joke...

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

make fun all you want, but dont suffer the delusion of actually thinking people will have their minds changed by any of this nonsense.

I love comedy and satire too.....but when thats all you have left....when you cant win the war of ideas with anything remotely compelling....i guess you better learn to enjoy your late night comedy hacks because thats all that remains of the "progressive" movement.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

yes please point out all the government corruption and make it as snarky and hilarious as you want....but dont insult my intelligence by making it look like the corruption favors the opposition....it doesnt.

its called a "swamp" because the entire thing is a stinky heaping rotting political backwater and it needs to be drained fully and completely.

at this point id seriously be in favor of firing everyone and starting over from scratch.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
It’s true.

Laughter is not only found in times of merriment and fun, but also at times of cruelty, bullying, torture, and persecution. I suspect that the late night circuit is more of the latter, not only an act of therapy for the perpetually stressed, but a lashing out at what they think is the source of it.

Compare Colbert’s fawning and obsequious treatment of Clinton to the day in day out, media-driven Trump doggy pile.

+6 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Late Night shows have existed since 1958 and NOW with Trump they are suddenly ruining the country? Seriously, do you guys think about the arguments you make anymore? This is ridiculous. Late night comedy is ruining our country, but let's not talk about the divisive news outlets started in the 90's by conservative interests that have led to the polarized politics we see today.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

In general laughing never hurt anyone. How comedy hurts america?

Puhleese.

This thread really shows the extreme sissification of America.

Kind of pathetic.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

I just finished watching the video. I don't agree with a lot of the commentary. First, he talked about a laugh track. These shows have live audiences. I think the laughter is actually real studio audience laughter. The reason people are laughing is not because they are brained washed. The reason people are laughing is because from the perspective of the left, what politicians are doing and saying is so "tragic" in the left's way of thinking laughter is a coping response.

You have to understand something about left and Trump. Many people prefer Trump over Pence. So getting replacing Trump with someone who is even worse is not very attractive.

The comedians definitely do not have a very high opinion of Trump. And the video is right that a lot of what the comedians are doing is to create entertainment. But I do not think it is hurting America in any way.

I not sure what the author of the video is expecting. Maybe the author the video is yearning for a North Korean style citizenry perfectly aligned with the authority in power.

What do the Republicans want at this point? The Republicans are the majority in every state legislator, the House, the Senate, the Presidency, the judiciary. It seems to me Republicans are preventing Republicans from doing stuff. Wealth inequality is at all time highs how bad can taxes be! What MORE do Republicans want they have EVERYTHING.

edit on 28-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

or are the 'comedians' (and others) actually to blame for the demise and divide in the political spectrum and the whole of our society?

Lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
a reply to: dfnj2015

yes please point out all the government corruption and make it as snarky and hilarious as you want....but dont insult my intelligence by making it look like the corruption favors the opposition....it doesnt.

its called a "swamp" because the entire thing is a stinky heaping rotting political backwater and it needs to be drained fully and completely.

at this point id seriously be in favor of firing everyone and starting over from scratch.

Don't tell me government is the problem when you will not support any candidates willing to try to make government actually work. The reason government is so bad is because all the people who elected don't think government will ever work or is necessary. Meanwhile organized crime, cronyism, and nepotism have taken over this country.

The people in this country get exactly the government they deserve. If anarchy, lawlessness, unfettered corruption is what we get when government is so small you can drown it in a bathtub then that is the government we deserve. If the people are unwilling to support self-government then who are you going to blame? The media outlets are NOT the government.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join