It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concealed Daily Carry. Here's mine, what's yours?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: DisinfoEqualsTerrorism

If you can put your fingers into a peace sign, a gun isn't necessary. Then you just ram them into the guys eyeballs and yell YEHAWWW.

hard to do from 10 feet or further away.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

oh ya, sometimes i forget how necessary range projectiles are in our society, apart from regular weapons.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Catapults have been used to kill people far longer than gun's have and can easily shatter a skull, Alexander the great once used peltasts - (Armed with sling's - remember there sling's were simply hide and sinew that they swung around much like a cowboy does a lasso to gain momentum before releasing one end and letting there stone fly at there target, precision was a matter of life and death for guy's with catapult's back then as they most often were shepherds etc and this could actually impart greater force on the stone than a few latex strip's could) - hidden behind his cavalry to bring down Persian cavalry in the battle that decided the fate of the Persian empire.
Modern Catapult's are a little lazy though and only really good for small animal's and pest control, just aim and pull the latex back and like I say they are most likely not as powerful as those old peltasts could manage but they can still kill a human, here is a test of some against a pig skull, this has no flesh on it though and soft tissue does protect bone.

But to the MysteriousStranger, I am thankfully lucky enough to live in country were we don't really need concealed carry MOST of the time and it is actually illegal for us to carry weapon's with a potential jail term and a definite sentence if we do use one even in self defense, we have the principle of reasonable force in our law which means we can kill an attacker but only if it can be proven that we felt our own life to be in danger, if we kill someone even an attacker and this can not be proven we can face a prison sentence ourselves.

We can apply for a shot gun licence in the UK but are regulated on ammo types and the shotgun has to be locked up, also our application is vetted by the police so in a rural setting were the police cross check both our history for criminality and also our location we are more likely to have it approved for pest control etc but in a suburban setting were we have no reasonable reason to have a shot gun it will almost definitely be denied.

Even then we can not then use our shotgun to defend our property or self as that then fall's into UN reasonably use of deadly force, a good example was a farmer by the name of Tony Martin whom was being terrorized by youth's, he had been burgled several time's and was at the end of his tether when he encountered a gang of youth's on his property, gypsy lads burgling his home, they ran but his temper was too far gone so he shot at them with his shot gun and killed one of the out of control teenagers whom was hit in the back.

Despite huge public sentiment for Tony Martin whom was more the victim here he was still sentenced to a term in jail though due to the circumstances the judge did make it as lenient as he could but his hand's were bound by the law so he could only reduce it so much.
www.theguardian.com...
Eventually the home secretary did allow early release but only due to huge public sympathy for the man in question.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

For many of you in the states however you have the right to kill on sight if they are an intruder, not all states allow this though and there are exception to the rule for instance you are NOT entitled to shot a representative of the federal or state government in the US or a Mailman etc who may have reasonable right to be on your property but in the UK the law is far more practical and our first port of call is not a weapon but the police.

The watchword for us is REASONABLE FORCE but our crime rate is actually extremely low compared to your's in the state's, our national murder rate does not even match up to some of your city's for example so as the old saying goes Horses for Courses.

If I lived were you do with that crime rate I would actually probably have something similar to your weapon, it make's sense but I really do not know if I would like to carry it around with me because taking another life is something I personally would rather not countenance except in extreme circumstance were there was absolutely no other choice, BUT in a nation were gun's are in the hand's of criminals and drug addict's, I suppose that delay on my part could prove lethal to myself and whomever else I was wanting to protect.
edit on 25-9-2017 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Have you seen the 500? If you have... I don't have to explain... I was leaning towards a 44 at one time myself as well

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

1st lesson: Never draw on a drawn weapon. Odds are against you overall. I had a great instructor........

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Absolutely correct.

Ideally... the best holster is the one still in the box at the store because your society negates the need for carrying weapons of any kind.

But these days... that's not the case. Still, you're correct... No good if your holster choice slows you down or impeads your draw.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MantheDevilsApe

Regarding lasers? And something I never gave thought to until brought up? Lasers give away your exact position at the time of firing...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
Footnote: This thread isn't about which brands are better, just what you use and why.

Time for CPL renewal again so Ive been at the range and doing some studying. My Concealed Daily Carry is usually the Glock 30 Gen 4-45 ACP pictured below. The last 4 months Ive switched back and forth to the Taurus PT 709 Slim -9mm also pictured. I use hollow points, always have.

Glock 30-Gen 4 45 ACP

Taurus PT 709 Slim-9mm

I had started 40 years back with a Ruger 38...moved to a Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum with 4" barrel. The Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum I carried for years and years, but it got to hurting my lower back day to day. Had a Colt Derringer 22-Magnum for awhile as well...and a Glock 19.

Once I got the sub compact auto Glock 30-45 ACP Colt....I was in love. But some years later, it too is heavy, though Im partial to "hand-cannons". Im switching between (45-9mm) depending on where Im at each day. I may stick with the 9mm for my daily carry except on occasion. I barely feel it on me...the slim design is a welcome change.

Curious to know what others have, carry daily and why. -Mysterioustranger

*P.S. The slim 9mm was originally for my bugout bag, but that's changing!

You just broke the most important rule of legal gun ownership, telling people what you carry. Now you can go to prison for brandishing anytime you get into an argument with someone. All anyone has to do is call the cops and say you threatened them with a .45 Glock 30. Cops will check the registry and see that's exactly what you own and you'll be arrested promptly.

This was the first thing I was ever taught when I went to get my CCW. Don't share your carry to anyone, ever.

originally posted by: the owlbear
I carry nothing.
I'm lucky. I don't live in a place where I feel the need for a secret gun to pull on people, even though I work the liquor trade and have had a gun in my face several times (not here, of course).
I understand and respect the need for concealed carry, though.
You're some sort of crazy first responder. Im glad you have the firepower that you do, hope you never need to use it. As I'm sure you hope you never need to as well.

One cursory look at the Active Self Protection youtube channel will change your mind. There is absolutely no place where you could claim it's safe enough to not want to carry a "secret" gun.

Also, CCW holders are not crazy first responders, they are active self defenders. Sometimes you cannot wait for someone to call the 911 operator, take the information, forward it to a squad car, wait for it to route for you, and then put your self at risk of being identified as the suspect when you're the victim. In fact, violent crime and gun fights happen in seconds, not minutes. Unless it's an active shooter incident, no response will be quick enough.
edit on 25-9-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

An add to my 1St reply to you. In general.. There are only a few instances where you can use deadly force (and these may be different elsewhere).

Rape
Assault or great bodily harm or death
Carjacking
Home invasion
You can't against a perp running away.
If you see someone from outside in your home, car, garage or yard... and you can't chase down someone nor hold a gun on them... unless you're positive it's the right person...

You could be charged with false imprisonment holding someone if you're wrong. In all cases? You have to be in fear of you or someone else being hurt or killed... running away down the street or on your porch with your stereo doesn't count.
They we're not threatening you enough for use of deadly force.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger
a reply to: LABTECH767

An add to my 1St reply to you. In general.. There are only a few instances where you can use deadly force (and these may be different elsewhere).

Rape
Assault or great bodily harm or death
Carjacking
Home invasion
You can't against a perp running away.
If you see someone from outside in your home, car, garage or yard... and you can't chase down someone nor hold a gun on them... unless you're positive it's the right person...

You could be charged with false imprisonment holding someone if you're wrong. In all cases? You have to be in fear of you or someone else being hurt or killed... running away down the street or on your porch with your stereo doesn't count.
They we're not threatening you enough for use of deadly force.

You can against a purp running away as long as he still poses a threat. I.E. If he's still brandishing, or if it's in rapid succession. This is called shooters continuity. You can't shoot a purp running away if he drops his weapon or if he's clearly not a threat anymore.

Sometimes a retreat is just for cover/concealment, and not shooting a suspect will result in your death as he repositions for a better angle.

Here is a perfect example of such a case;

That said, you should never chase armed attackers, here is another great example of why;

edit on 25-9-2017 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Sorry friend... We're neighbors of sorts. I'm in West Dearborn... Close enough to Inkster to worry. *

*My wife was held up in our driveway on a quiet street of middle class homes.

If you're treading 8 mile everyday? God bless you and stay safe

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I have a few in the safe,favorite is a Kimber ultra carry 2,but there is ALWAYS a NAA .22 in my pocket except when in places illegal to carry.Not a lot of punch,but It`ll do the job.The .45 is what I prefer if I ever need one and is usually with me.Living in the Tennessee mountains a .45 may come in handy in case of methheads or bears,both of which we have in abundance.Of course if I knew either was gonna cause problems a rifle would be the choice.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I don't have one but this is what I'd want to carry. A Beretta U22 Neo.

I like the idea that I could unload on somebody trying to assault me and there's a decent chance they'll survive.

originally posted by: [post=22696493]Abysha[/post
I'd prefer to stay away from a 380 and stick with 22 just for the non-lethality factor.

If you look into it, you'll realize that the .22 round is, statistically speaking, the most lethal round available.
edit on 25-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: added other quote

edit on 25-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Yep, too many people ignorantly believe that bringing a knife to a gun fight is a bad thing--I would rather defend against a gun versus a knife any day, and in a close-quarters fight, I'd much rather be armed with a blade (Karambit or similar).

A knife--especially a two-sided blade, like a dagger--can cut from multiple angles and ways, along with stab the crap out of you. A gun can generally only hurt you if that little hole is pointing directly at you. Guns are much easier to control in a defensive manner as well, an easier to disarm without injury to yourself.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Can I take the third option.

Shrinkage?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

What are you a liberal hippy card carrying NRA CC member?

this is my CC .

edit on 20930America/ChicagoMon, 25 Sep 2017 09:20:16 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

originally posted by: Phage

No permit required and it packs a wallop.

I'm a dead eye with one of those...won't stop a human unless you hit an eye.

An eye? Load that baby with steel bearings and anywhere in the head would be effective, most of the chest too.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

I try to avoid areas where I would need one,I grew up in the day when you defended yourself with your hands,not like a wimp or a thief who carried guns,people who carry guns have insecurity's

It would be arguable that people who judge others for carrying a firearm also have insecurities of their own--you don't have to like it, but you don't have to state that it's for insecure reasons, either.

I could very effectively handle myself with my fists (and elbows, and knees, and legs), but I also carry, because there could always be someone better at fighting than you who won't stop when the fight has been won, or because there may be two or three of them, and the weapon would be a nice deterrent, or (and this is the big one), you get caught up in that small chance that you are in a building where you need a gun to make it out alive but don't have it.

It is not a bother whatsoever to have my firearm on my person when I'm out in public, so let me pose this question to you, sir: If there's no burden in carrying one, what's the problem with being prepared for the worst at all times? You'd probably feel pretty terrible if your hands couldn't stop an armed person from taking the life of someone when you could have easily had a firearm on you that could have evened up the odds.

Just food for thought. I have no insecurities, I just want to ensure that I can do whatever I can within my power to be able to protect my family on the small chance that I would ever be in such a situation. But, as I tell my son, I hope that the same bullets that are in my magazine now are still in that magazine when I die; I hope to never have to use my firearm defensively, especially against another human being.

That's not insecurity, that's called being prepared.
edit on 25-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: word fixes

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: Oldtimer2

I try to avoid areas where I would need one,I grew up in the day when you defended yourself with your hands,not like a wimp or a thief who carried guns,people who carry guns have insecurity's

It would be arguable that people who judge others for carrying a firearm also have insecurities of their own--you don't have to like it, but you don't have to state that it's for insecure reasons, either.

I could very effectively handle myself with my fists (and elbows, and knees, and legs), but I also carry, because there could always be someone better at fighting than you who won't stop when the fight has been won, or because there may be two or three of them, and the weapon would be a nice deterrent, or (and this is the big one), you get caught up in that small chance that you are in a building where you need a gun to make it out alive but don't have it.

It is not a both whatsoever to have my firearm on my person when I'm out in public, so let me pose this question to you, sir: If there's no burden in carrying one, what's the problem with being prepared for the worst at all times? You'd probably feel pretty terrible if your hands couldn't stop an armed person from taking the life of someone when you could have easily had a firearm on you that could have evened up the odds.

Just food for thought. I have no insecurities, I just want to ensure that I can do whatever I can within my power to be able to protect my family on the small chance that I would ever be in such a situation. But, as I tell my son, I hope to have the same bullets that are in my magazine in that magazine when I die...meaning, I hope to never have to use my firearm, especially against another human being.

That's not insecurity, that's called being prepared.

Well said. Only people who have led sheltered lives think they can defend themselves from any threat with their fists and anyone who doesn't think so is a "wimp". That's so juvenile and unrealistic, it's how I used to think when I was a kid and just got done watching a movie. Sad some people never grow out of that kind of thinking.

The people who play the "insecure" angle are themselves insecure. They have to make # up to make themselves feel better in their illogical position. It's no more insecure to carry a gun than it is to have life insurance or to keep a fire extinguisher in your kitchen.
edit on 25 9 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:42 AM
link   

S&W M&P Shield 9, mainly because I used to carry the M&P 40C, but didn't like the double-stack print it left in my clothing, plus after extensive research, a 9 is just as lethal, but adds extra rounds in equally sized firearms.

The Shield works well for me, is easy to disassemble and clean, and hasn't failed on me yet, just like the 40C never failed on me. I have full confidence that, in a life-or-death moment, the Shield would function perfectly.

Now, when I used to carry a Taurus TCP .380, that wasn't necessarily the case. I never had a problem with it at the range, per se, but when I would put Hornady Critical Duty rounds in it for carrying purposes, it didn't like to eject the unfired rounds very well. Logic told and experience told me that the casings eject fine after the bullet was fired, but I should be able to cycle unfired rounds, too, without them getting caught in the ejection port. Plus, with that issue, I had dreams more than once that the Taurus failed to fire in a life-threatening situation, so that was enough for me to get rid of it.

If you have no confidence in your firearm, why own it, and especially, why carry it?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join