It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.1 Earthquake hits Japan offshore from Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

To me, this seems to be related to the earthquake in China, then Mexico city and now offshore from Japan

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Is HAARP active??? Lol

Seriously my thoughts go out to all nations people affected by the quakes!!

Hold Fast my friends!!

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Funny how we never even hear about Fukushima anymore - aren't there 300 tons of radioactive water flowing into the Pacific daily because of that mess?

Wondering if this will worsen that situation....

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
earthquake.usgs.gov...

To me, this seems to be related to the earthquake in China, then Mexico city and now offshore from Japan

This thread needs some meat on it's bones.
What do you think the connection is?
Why those three earthquakes and not the other dozen or so that have happened recently?
Why now? Japan has had a bunch of small earthquakes like this since fuku happened.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I wonder if its a fore-shock frankly...a 6 preceded the big one last time

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Funny how we never even hear about Fukushima anymore - aren't there 300 tons of radioactive water flowing into the Pacific daily because of that mess?

Indeed there is. A lot of people claim that the Japanese government is downplaying this as best it can.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I looked at the earthquakes today page after the most recent Mexico earthquake and there is a nice or not so nice line of earthquakes running down new zealand. I found that interesting.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
As always go to wiki for more info:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

So Nibiru is actually coming. Great. Well at least we won't have to live through another election cycle.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Cracking the eggshell structures a little more.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

So Nibiru is actually coming. Great. Well at least we won't have to live through another election cycle.

You didn't hear? It's set to happen 3 days from now.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Who is next, Alaska or Cali?

I fell into a burning ring of fire, I went down down down and the flames went higher.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
This thread needs some meat on it's bones.

I've got some meat for it's bones! Doesn't that epicenter look awfully close to the Mariana Trench? My understanding of that fascinating geological feature is that it is a HUGE subduction zone for the entire Pacific plate. It should be generating earthquakes more frequently than it does, but the friction between the plates is being lubricated by this volcanic mud that's constantly erupting in the area, which in turn is caused by seawater getting pulled down into the mantle via subduction. Crazy right? Not exactly sure where I'm going with this. I suppose it could be that the big slip that caused this quake could redistribute the tension in other areas of the zone, so it could be a precursor to additional quakes OR the quake might have caused additional liquefaction of all that mud making the slippage easier and relieving a bunch of stress. Then again it would have also pulled more moisture down to then erupt from the mud volcanos. I'm leaning toward another quake in the region in the near future, and that's coming from an internet earthquake expert so you know it's a solid prediction!

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

That would be embarrassing wouldn't it?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

It's actually an aftershock of the 2011 9.1.

Bigger earthquakes have more and larger aftershocks and the sequences can last for years or even longer especially when a large event occurs in a seismically quiet area; see, for example, the New Madrid Seismic Zone, where events still follow Omori's law from the main shocks of 1811–1812. An aftershock sequence is deemed to have ended when the rate of seismicity drops back to a background level; i.e., no further decay in the number of events with time can be detected.

Land movement around the New Madrid is reported to be no more than 0.2 mm (0.0079 in) a year,[7] in contrast to the San Andreas Fault which averages up to 37 mm (1.5 in) a year across California.[8] Aftershocks on the San Andreas are now believed to top out at 10 years while earthquakes in New Madrid are considered aftershocks nearly 200 years after the 1812 New Madrid earthquake.[9]

wiki

That 9.1 will have aftershocks for many years to come most likely.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Sung to Johnny Cash, or Social Distortion's cover?..I hate to admit it...but I lean towards Social D

edit on 20-9-2017 by BlueJacket because: sp

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Interesting thanks for the insight

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: thesaneone

Sung to Johnny Cash, or Social Distortion's cover?..I hate to admit it...but I lean towards Social D

OH god no, not social D,Johnny cash all the way.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
When i see a big quake i look up the antipode of the area affected en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: BlueJacket

It's actually an aftershock of the 2011 9.1.

Bigger earthquakes have more and larger aftershocks and the sequences can last for years or even longer especially when a large event occurs in a seismically quiet area; see, for example, the New Madrid Seismic Zone, where events still follow Omori's law from the main shocks of 1811–1812. An aftershock sequence is deemed to have ended when the rate of seismicity drops back to a background level; i.e., no further decay in the number of events with time can be detected.

Land movement around the New Madrid is reported to be no more than 0.2 mm (0.0079 in) a year,[7] in contrast to the San Andreas Fault which averages up to 37 mm (1.5 in) a year across California.[8] Aftershocks on the San Andreas are now believed to top out at 10 years while earthquakes in New Madrid are considered aftershocks nearly 200 years after the 1812 New Madrid earthquake.[9]

wiki

That 9.1 will have aftershocks for many years to come most likely.

Maybe the shocks from 1811-1812 were aftershocks from other large EQ's from years and years prior. Based on the above theory, all EQ's could simply be aftershocks. So the whole earth is made up of shifting plates that cause 'after shocks', or as we know them, earthquakes.

Interesting.

A family member and I spoke on the phone yesterday. She was all like "the world is gonna end, all these hurricanes and earthquakes and stuff". I told her to calm down, this stuff happens. It has been happening for thousands of years. And every time there is a congestion of environmental actions and reactions, people start carrying on like headless chickens. The world may end but I don't think it'll happen in the next 100 years.

If people would get as concerned about our planet's water and quit poisoning it. That will be our downfall. No water to drink, grow food or support our planet. It's such a shame, but par for the course, that things that go boom and shake things up always get more attention than the continuous slow boil threatening our extinction right under our feet.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join