It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please solve this riddle?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: Nyiah
Looks like plain ol' Crepuscular rays. Take a gander at various pictures of Crepuscular Rays.

If the sunset was behind her, this particular type is what she saw.

Plain, indeed.
But what is more confusing is anti-crepuscular rays.
www.atoptics.co.uk...

Now thats cool.

Like spindly spider legs reaching from horizon to horizon.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro
Credit belongs here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Oddba1l

There is one other possibility im forced to entertain.

The guy was high when he wrote it, and even he can't remember what the answer is.
edit on 19-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: Nyiah
Looks like plain ol' Crepuscular rays. Take a gander at various pictures of Crepuscular Rays.

If the sunset was behind her, this particular type is what she saw.

Plain, indeed.
But what is more confusing is anti-crepuscular rays.
www.atoptics.co.uk...

I liked the sky-wide rays and shadows shown on the associated page here.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

The sun is rising and the rays are showing the shadows of clouds behind her. This is given away by the street lights being on from the night before. They would not be on this soon after sunset. And the pink cloud top at the beginning of the vid. It should be dark if the sun were setting behind it. She simply miss states the position of the sun as being ahead of her when it is behind her. Not really a riddle here, just being mislead.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oddba1l
Hello fellow ATSers. I was sent this video by my sister as she was driving from the San Fernando Valley to Oxnard. She thought I was going to be able to answer her question but I was left puzzled.

"Sun is there, rays are shooting up. But the moon's showing that the sun is on top of it. How is the rays shooting here, if the moon's shadow is on the same side where the sun is?"

My answer: Heck I don't know, I'll post it on ATS.

So there you go guys, who can solve this?

As others have said, the sun is NOT in front of her, but rather it is behind her, and the rays she sees are anti-crepuscular rays.

One easy way to find out is ask your sister where she was and what date/time it was when she made the video. We would be able to know what direction she was driving and whether or not the s̶u̶n̶s̶e̶t̶ sun was in front of her.

My guess would be, going by the street sign at near the beginning of the video, that she was heading west on The 101 (The Ventura Freeway).

The sign (seen at the :13 mark) lists three exits in this order: Tampa Ave, Winnetka Ave, Desoto Ave -- which is why it seems she is headed west.

EDIT TO ADD:
Thanks to SlapMonkey for pointing out the "sunset" v. "sun" error in my post.

edit on 19/9/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Yes, the sun is at her back, as is evident by the lighting of the clouds (unless those storm clouds in the distance are behind the setting sun).

As has already been noted, it's an atmospheric condition called crepuscular rays (or anti-crepuscular rays, since the sun was opposite her viewpoint), and she was mistaking them for being rays created by the sun setting on that particular horizon.

I'm sure that this could all be settled if she would just look at a map and the direction that she was traveling...I be that she was facing east.

Now, tell her to quit filming video while driving, as it's absolutely unsafe and a blatant disregard to the safety of other drivers around her.
edit on 19-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If the view is through the windshield, how would the sun be behind her.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
If the view is through the windshield, how would the sun be behind her.

That's already been addressed (anticrepuscular rays):

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Crepuscular rays appear to converge on the sun, anticrepuscular or antisolar rays converge in the opposite direction and you must have your back to the sun or sunset point to see them. They appear to converge towards the antisolar point, the point on the sky sphere directly opposite the sun. Like crepuscular rays they are parallel shafts of sunlight from holes in the clouds and their apparently odd directions are a perspective effect. Think of a long straight road, it converges towards the horizon but turn around and it also converges to the opposite horizon.   Crepuscular and anticrepuscular rays behave in the same way. 

Anticrepuscular rays are not rare but they must be sought carefully. When ordinary crepuscular rays are visible, turn around and search for their opposite numbers.   More rarely, sunrays pass right across the sky.

One hint of this is the cloud that is lit up on the horizon, but the lit side of the cloud is facing her.

edit on 19/9/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I thought that referred to the moon. I see that meant the sun.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

If she's heading west at sunset, that would put the sun in front of her, not behind. So, either she was heading west at sunrise, or east at sunset.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

If she's heading west at sunset, that would put the sun in front of her, not behind. So, either she was heading west at sunrise, or east at sunset.

Oops -- I did write "sunset", didn't I. I meant to write just "Sun".

I will amend my post in order to quell any further confusion. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Glad I could help...you had me confused again, in a confusing thread. In any event, I think that the mystery is solved.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Glad I could help...you had me confused again, in a confusing thread. In any event, I think that the mystery is solved.

Thanks for all the help. I've asked a flat earther and the answer that was given was that the sun was reflecting off the "dome".
Anticrepuscular rays it is.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Oh, I was glad I could help SGIP...I may have helped you, but only on the backs of and after others had the same conclusion.

Flat-earthers, man....

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

Hello fellow ATSers. I was sent this video by my sister as she was driving from the San Fernando Valley to Oxnard. She thought I was going to be able to answer her question but I was left puzzled.

"Sun is there, rays are shooting up. But the moon's showing that the sun is on top of it. How is the rays shooting here, if the moon's shadow is on the same side where the sun is?"

My answer: Heck I don't know, I'll post it on ATS.

Michael to the rescue!
He does a pretty good job of explaining the illusion.

Very nice. He does a great job of explaining the effect. Riddle solved, I'd say!

Think I will save that one for the kids; they should find it entertaining.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join