It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has Boris Johnson Fired the Starting Pistol for Leadership Challenge ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Boris Johnson has penned an article in the Guardian called "My vision for a bold, thriving Britain enabled by Brexit" , admittedly I haven't read it as it's hidden behind a paywall but as Foreign secretary I would have thought his vision would be finding a solution to the Korean crisis not setting out a thinly veiled manifesto for team Johnson a few weeks before the Tory party conference , a prime time for plotting and skulduggery ... something Tories do so well.

Theresa May is left in a difficult position by this , if she fires him , as she is being called on to do , that will set Johnson free and the game will start but if she keeps her enemy close she risks looking weaker than she already does .... decisions decisions.

With Jacob Rees-Mogg gearing up his band wagon for the upcoming conference season Johnson , aware of blood in the water , likely feels now is the time to start his campaign if he doesn't want to miss out on the top job for a second time.

The Tory party conference starts October 1st through to the 4th , I predict there will be more fireworks than Guy Forks night and the leadership battle will begin shortly after.

Johnson or Rees-Mogg ... my blood runs cold just thinking about it.

edit on 16-9-2017 by gortex because: Leprechauns

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
A right pair of dodgy twats both of them. Boris for PM lol Same goes for that other Tory twat Rees mogg. Its a sad day that either of them get to be PM in fact any Tory come to that. We are screwed no matter who gets to replace May.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: illuminnaughty

Can you imagine prime minister Boris, God help us all.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

If that's the case Johnson will never be PM .... History has shown that the

wo/MAN who wields the knife never succeeds to gain the crown.

edit on 17-9-2017 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think the media over-play and over-analyse. They'll be talk of a leadership coup every time there's nothing else to talk about.

Brexit is too big an issue, so that will divert everyone's attention. Questions of leadership will happen after the UK has left regardless of all the sniping and crap.

Here's the BBC report The people making the accusations and ranting and raving are opposition parties.
edit on 17/9/2017 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I think the media over-play and over-analyse.

That may be so but the opinion is mine , the challenge is coming and party conference season is the prime time to rally support.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Boris Johnson has penned an article in the Guardian called "My vision for a bold, thriving Britain enabled by Brexit" ,...

I read it yesterday or the day before in the Telegraph, print copy, which I believe was the original place of publication. Rather more his territory than the Guardian. You might look for it there, if they don't have a paywall.
One opinion elsewhere in the paper was that he had been careful not to offer up anything which would give her a direct reason for sacking him.

edit on 17-9-2017 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Johnson has always been such an embarrassment on every level,
his tawdry lies for internal consumption (re: Brexit) made me think of Lord Hawhaw

Even if i think that she should,
i doubt that May will sack Johnson soon
maybe during a Christmas re-shuffle (?)

Maybe his Telegraph piece is indeed the starter's gun
and ends up shooting his own foot off !

Imagine if you will:
Boris resigns, forces a leadership contest,
only to discover that his views are too extreme for the Tories
Johnson is then left in political limbo

Just desserts for his part in this Brexit clustershambles#

Perhaps a leadership contest would be a great idea !
A wholesale clearout of all the dross
getting shot of Rees-Mog and Davis would be a good start...

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

My mistake , the article was written for the Torygraph and is behind a paywall ... I wrote the thread early this morning/late last night.

I do believe he is positioning himself for a challenge and is responding to moves by Jacob Rees-Mogg , Mrs May has not covered herself in glory and is ripe for the taking which is why I believe this conference will be her last as leader.

Rees-Mogg or Johnson ?
Neither are an appealing prospect for me.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Johnson and the other Tory caricature (Rees-Mogg) know May will be accountable for the results of Brexit. She's unpopular and perfectly positioned for flack from all sides.

This is why I believe they've both proclaimed their support. Political manoeuvring so when she finally falls, they're both seen as loyal and can take her place. By all accounts, Rees-Mogg will get the Party's backing over Johnson.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

To be honest mate I foresee a leadership election in the Spring with May announcing before Christmas that she will stand down, I doubt either of the prospective candidates will fall into the trap of calling a fresh election but anything is possible , Johnson seems to have the X factor with the public so maybe he could regain their majority.

Rees-Mogg for me is the nightmare scenario as he seems firmly rooted in the 19th century , at least with Johnson we'll have our own mini Donald. J to amuse the EU and world with , both suffer the same foot in mouth syndrome.

edit on 17-9-2017 by gortex because: wrong century

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

You could be right mate and May is definitely the walking wounded.

Like you, I dislike Rees-Mogg and he seems like a template of Gove whom I detest. They are each the type of politician who totally believes they are better, smarter and righter than everyone else. The Americans might enjoy those qualities in leaders, but they don't go down so well in the UK (Blair).

Old Johnson might be the best of a bad bunch...as usual.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Boris Johnson has penned an article in the Guardian called "My vision for a bold, thriving Britain enabled by Brexit" , admittedly I haven't read it as it's hidden behind a paywall but as Foreign secretary I would have thought his vision would be finding a solution to the Korean crisis not setting out a thinly veiled manifesto for team Johnson a few weeks before the Tory party conference , a prime time for plotting and skulduggery ... something Tories do so well.

Set aside his visions because that's probably what they are. He's already gaffed once again over the £350million pw that never was, by saying he will give it to the NHS...pw! Mostly he's accidentally funny, but now he's just being naturally thick, by insulting the people's intelligence once again..over the same article, which as everyone should know by now was an actual pay over of a deal less than half that amount.
Boris thinks everybody is as stupid as he is....if, if, if, if.....he thinks at all.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Like you, I dislike Rees-Mogg and he seems like a template of Gove whom I detest. They are each the type of politician who totally believes they are better, smarter and righter than everyone else. The Americans might enjoy those qualities in leaders, but they don't go down so well in the UK (Blair).

I wonder if Bringing the Mogg into the mix is simply a way of making Boris look like a good option for PM?

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

This is why I believe they've both proclaimed their support. Political manoeuvring so when she finally falls, they're both seen as loyal and can take her place. By all accounts, Rees-Mogg will get the Party's backing over Johnson.

Rees-Mogg can't be PM though.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I don't think there will be a leadership contest until post Brexit, as I have said.

However...

... when it happens I do not think Johnson would be successful as he's too divisive. Rees-Mogg will never be a contender and probably would not put himself forward.

Look at Hammond or Amber Rudd as more likely. If Brexit is a success then David Davis may also be a possible, but (not being ageist) he is a bit too old.

If she stood, and when there is a contest, my money would be on Amber Rudd.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I don't think there will be a leadership contest until post Brexit, as I have said.

However...

... when it happens I do not think Johnson would be successful as he's too divisive. Rees-Mogg will never be a contender and probably would not put himself forward.

Look at Hammond or Amber Rudd as more likely. If Brexit is a success then David Davis may also be a possible, but (not being ageist) he is a bit too old.

If she stood, and when there is a contest, my money would be on Amber Rudd.

Mogg as it stands can't be a PM...he's a devout Catholic, but devout or not, a Catholic Prime Minister would be problematic to those parts of the constitution where the Queen is defender of the English faith.
There would be other problems too since there is the DUP pact with the conservatives, and any whiff of even a chance of a Catholic Prime minister would have the ultra-right DUP ministers bums knitting parsnips...and the end of any pact for sure, that's bad because I want my road done!

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I think you'll find Rees-Mogg is very much interested in the job and is making moves to bolster his support , which I believe is what prompted Johnson's intervention.

From the Torygraph.

Now Jacob Rees-Mogg appears hopeful his popularity surge can continue into autumn and beyond, if his party conference schedule is any indication. The Telegraph has established that the MP for North East Somerset is to give no fewer than nine speeches in 48 hours to the party faithful next month. He will be addressing fringe events on everything from Brexit and the Conservative Party to the importance of free markets and the resurgent hard-Left.
www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

I wonder if Bringing the Mogg into the mix is simply a way of making Boris look like a good option for PM?

Could be. On the other hand, The Times has always been the insider when it comes to Tory politics and they've been dismissive of Johnson. They aren't too keen on Rees-Mogg either.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Didn't you guys just suffer through an election?

Educate me please! Can a Prime Minister be replaced in the UK if the party leadership is challenged successfully?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join