It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla Boosts Car Battery Power During Irma,

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Edumakated

I would be a little pissed to find out that I paid 6k for a software tweek.
But my biggest problem was the other scenarios I mentioned.

There is a real cost associated with the battery. From Tesla's stand point it is cheaper and more efficient to use one battery.

If a purchaser wants to get full range, they have to pay the premium. However, those who may not need the full range, will not pay the premium, so Tesla can offer them a cheaper car but limit access to range wihtout incurring the cost associated with offering a different battery pack.

Electric cars are not like gas engines. It is just a "software tweek" that also unleashes full acceleration. The slowest Tesla's do 0-60 in like 5.5 seconds. You flip a switch and it will do 0-60 in like 2.8 seconds. However, you'd have to pay like $40k premium to get that access between the base model and the p100d. However, it is all the same hardware.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Oh come now,
Sirius is a paid service like cable or satellite.
I doubt tesla informed buyers the car batteries were the same.

The fact the hardware is the same is totally irrelevant. The software is what people are paying for. The software is what makes the difference.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Oh come now,

The fact the hardware is the same is totally irrelevant. The software is what people are paying for. The software is what makes the difference.

I understand your point.
But I also think when people find out their overpriced car doesn't perform at its peak unless you pay extra will have blowback.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Given the loss of data that a complete battery drained of charge can cause i would think its to protect the vehicles in someway. There are systems im sure tesla planned to run when the vehicle is "OFF" and that battery allows it to run with out being on a charger for decided period of time with out killing the car. Even a fully charged laptop or cel,ular phone looses power while "off"
edit on AMAmerica/Chicago241009am by Aeshma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Oh come now,

I understand your point.
But I also think when people find out their overpriced car doesn't perform at its peak unless you pay extra will have blowback.

It is irrational. The car performs at the level that was paid for... If you want full performance, you pay the full performance price. It doesn't matter that the hardware is the same. The software isn't which is why there is a difference in performance.

A ton of cars share the same architecture and platforms with minor tweaks...

VW Touareg = Audi Q7 = Porsche Cayenne

Toyota Camry = Lexus ES

GM Yukon = Cadillac Escalade

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Where does it end?
Does it end?
About the only thing we have left that cannot be hacked is the physical human body. And we can exclude the human brain out of that because work is fast being done for machines to read your thoughts and thus, control your thoughts.

It ain't funny science-fiction anymore. there will be no freedom nor refuge.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Sounds like your sucking the titty of Elon Musk here. Vested interests much?? I hope your not the type to complain about oil companies buying out patents from green tech over the decades just to keep it out of the market and affecting their profits. Frankly, I know your not the type tat whines about it if your sticking up for clear exploitation practices by a company that tried to market itself as a responsible manufacturer for responsible consumers.

Now that this is common knowledge, nobody will purchase the higher models and simply pay hackers a one time fee to jailbreak the throttling. They will pay mechanics or computer techs another one time fee to kill the wireless chip. Its not hard actually, once you expose the boards, its just a tiny little gold looking lens thing that you can pry out with a fingernail.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Not surprised.

It's just like how pretty much all internal combustion engines can run on even vodka but are 'held back' to only run on gasoline.
There must be a reason that isn't being told here as to why they hold back on the full potential.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Many petrol engine cars are pretty much the same. The only real difference is Tesla ability to do remotely.

A few years back the BMW 325, 330 & 335 used the same engine with different management system. There would be virtually no if any additional cost to manafacture but sold at significant price difference.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Sounds like your sucking the titty of Elon Musk here. Vested interests much?? I hope your not the type to complain about oil companies buying out patents from green tech over the decades just to keep it out of the market and affecting their profits. Frankly, I know your not the type tat whines about it if your sticking up for clear exploitation practices by a company that tried to market itself as a responsible manufacturer for responsible consumers.

Now that this is common knowledge, nobody will purchase the higher models and simply pay hackers a one time fee to jailbreak the throttling. They will pay mechanics or computer techs another one time fee to kill the wireless chip. Its not hard actually, once you expose the boards, its just a tiny little gold looking lens thing that you can pry out with a fingernail.

Nope. I don't own a Tesla, but ridden in them plenty of times. I also understand business and manufacturing. If a hacker can jail break it, then Tesla will have to deal with that issue at some point.

People decide what they want to pay for a car and the performance they want at X cost. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this concept. Regardless if the hardware is the same for a base model and the p100, the customer decides how much performance they are willing to pay for. The fact the car models are all virtually the same hardware wise and the difference is in software is totally irrelevant. It is that simple.

You don't get what you don't pay for.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
My brother's waiting on his new Tesla 3, it was pre sold to him a year or so ago as I recall. It should be his any day or hour. He also works there, which is favoritism, but hay, it's for factory work in the Tesla. It comes as a perk from within the company, as it should. So he is on the pre-public delivery list and will be first in line. Time will create better and better Tesla's even.

He's excited. It cost 60K + He must want it bad. He likes Pebble Beach shows and life, and lives in Carmel

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Funny how people are up in arms over this but have had no problem with the cable and internet companies from doing the same through their entire existence. Guess what? When you pay for the slower internet connection you're still getting the same internet and equipment as the guy paying for the faster connection. The company is just throttling back your connection through software.

Hell, I even saw people on this site praising the cable companies when they wanted to throttle back the speed on sites that don't pay a premium. They claimed it was the price of doing business in a capitalist society.

The only difference with this is that Teslas are associated with the green energy movement. And for whatever reason people will take exception with everything these companies do regardless of how much good they actually may do for the environment.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The thing is people WILL find a way to unleash it's full potential. Give it time. And it will either increase the cars value or severely decrease it.

I remember when Skylines and JZ2 Supra's were a big thing in the early 2000s. When I got my Skyline and went to my first meet a fellow owner had a computer that would reset factory settings and could tune the engine right there and then. Was it safe? probably not, but being able to surpass the rev limiter and disable the HICAS (All wheel steering) was a huge advantage for performance.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Those examples are not exactly the same situation.
The cable company charges for content.
You want the extra sports package you pay for it but they pay for it too.
More cost for the cable company.
Internet companies have limits to their capacities, the price differences help them limit the usage.

The real question is if tesla represents the battery numbers as a software issue or a hardware issue.
That and we are talking about a $6k upcharge. That seems excessive.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I suspect they are limiting the performance to get more run time..ie reducing the top speed/current delivery, not adding more power.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

The thing is people WILL find a way to unleash it's full potential. Give it time. And it will either increase the cars value or severely decrease it.

I remember when Skylines and JZ2 Supra's were a big thing in the early 2000s. When I got my Skyline and went to my first meet a fellow owner had a computer that would reset factory settings and could tune the engine right there and then. Was it safe? probably not, but being able to surpass the rev limiter and disable the HICAS (All wheel steering) was a huge advantage for performance.

I am not arguing that. I have no doubt someone will figure out how to jailbreak the ECU in the car. One of the cool things about electric cars is that the tuning is accessible and practically limitless. You can tune EVERYTHING in the car with a simple computer. Throttle, brakes, acceleration, torque, rpm, etc. A lot of gear heads who poo poo electric cars are going to be in for a shock. You no longer will need to be a jedi mechanic doing frankenstein mods pushing a car engine to its limits to change performance.

I race electric remote control cars. I literally just open up my laptop and change the ECU settings to reprogram my cars performance for the track/race. Just a few changes I can make my car top out at 75+ mph or limit it to 40mphs. I can change the braking. if the track doesn't have a lot traction, I can simply dial back the torque. I can even add a boost to kick in after a certain RPM. I can even manage my battery consumption. Full size cars will be able to do all of this.

Take your car to a drag strip and it is one set of parameters. The next week you go to an autocross, it is totally different. Same car... all you did was fiddle with the ECU settings.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I used to race..the good old Mamba Max esc.

link   

Internet companies have limits to their capacities, the price differences help them limit the usage.

And Tesla has limits to the number of batteries they can produce in a given amount of time. By focusing on producing only one type of battery they are able to increase their production efficiency. Which in turn drives prices down.

Hell, there's a good chance the price would be more than $6,000 more if they were producing a different battery for each type of car. I mean, not only are we talking about lower efficiency and slower production (meaning fewer produced and ultimately sold each year) but it will also require an increase in costs for materials and manpower.

You can complain about this all you want but in the end this practice is A.) Not really all that different than what other industries do; and B.) Is actually more beneficial to the consumer.

link   

a reply to: Xcalibur254

Those examples are not exactly the same situation.
The cable company charges for content.
You want the extra sports package you pay for it but they pay for it too.
More cost for the cable company.

The real question is if tesla represents the battery numbers as a software issue or a hardware issue.
That and we are talking about a $6k upcharge. That seems excessive.

The content for Tesla is the performance of the car. The hardware is the same. With cable TV, the hardware is your cable box. The software allows you to receive additional content for a price. The guy with 50 channels has the same cable box as the guy with 500 channels. If you don't pay for the extra contect, you don't get the channels regardless if you have the same cable box.

From a business standpoint, the cable company rather have ONE cable box that they can control versus multiply varieties for each type of consumer. Tesla is doing the same thing.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

I used to race..the good old Mamba Max esc.

Yes indeed. I was a very early adopter of electric 1/8th scale racing. We used to modify the Mamba Max ECU adding a BEC to it so it could handle the higher voltages until Castle and others started making 1/8th scale equipment. Fun times.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join