It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am not voting in the Australian same sex marriage postal vote.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I note with due interest today the Australian electoral authorities telling us not to put pictures of your ballot on social media so that no one can use YOUR barcode.

Im sorry what the hell is a BARCODE doing on a secret postal ballot.So if its your barcode what information is linked to it,your address obviously.what else.

I do not want the way I vote in a supposed secret ballot to be recorded especially not for such a devisive issue.

Its not compulsory so I shant be voting.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Thanks for pointing out the non-secret aspect.

I'm abstaining too.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Will the ABS be collecting my personal information?
Your identity will not be linked to your response. While there will be a barcode assigned to you, the ABS states that this is ‘a single-use, anonymous code.’ Moreover, the ABS also states that ‘No person who sees or has any access to any completed forms will know both the name of eligible Australians and the related single-use code.’

The collection of information is governed by the Census and Statistics Act 1905 . In regards to privacy and secrecy there are two pertinent sections.

Section 13 (3) states “Information of a personal or domestic nature relating to a person shall not be disclosed in accordance with a determination in a manner that is likely to enable the identification of that person.” As such, it is against the law for the postal survey to later enable the reveal of an individual’s identity.

Section 19 of the Act relates to the secrecy of information and the penalties applied to those who divulge any of the collected information.

Within 60 days of publication of the postal survey results (January 14th, 2018), all completed survey material will be destroyed.

What

Read more at www.lifehacker.com.au...

Sounds legit ...

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

Thanks for the timely response.

It should be an interesting ballot but as usual in these things, it is always about them.

How about we keep the word 'Marriage' to mean what it always has, and they can create their word which means whatever the hell they want it to mean.

I suggest Kaplingz. Modernized version of coupling with a bit of zest.

I would be happy to use their word to mean whatever the hell they want to.

Leave the definition of our word just the way it is.

As for the OP, your info is safe. It is just like showing your ID at the polling place. There is nothing on the ballot papers that can identify you. It is secret ... you are safe.

P

edit on 14/9/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Neither am I.

To be truthful, I'm absolutely sick of hearing about it. I'm absolutely sickened by the money that is being wasted on it, $122million, not to mention the unfathomable time and money that has been wasted by our "politicians" banging on about it.

Bunch of # drama queens the whole # lot and I mean everybody.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The same sex anti-vilification laws they just introduced are legit too, say something against the yes vote and you will probably cop a $12000 fine.This, the vilification of Christians, the strong lgbt agenda being pushed in schools being introduced,the fact the Government is not revealing what will be in the legislation and the fact Labour says if the vote is No they will ignore it when the get into Government tells me the fix is in.I would vote yes if this was about civil equality but it isn't there are social,legal,societal and many other unknowns that make my vote a no vote.In light of the current environment I am not taking the Governments word.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

Not to mention if Shorten becomes Prime Minister which he will even a drovers dog would beat Turnbull next election they have stated they will nullify and no vote so your right its a $122 million dollar wank.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I agree. A yes vote is to water down and make marriage meaningless.

Imagine how the LGTBW movement would make it all about them !

Mardi Gras is enough thanks.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
I agree. A yes vote is to water down and make marriage meaningless.

horse dung

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

.....AND for anyone undecided Christopher Pyne is one of the major Yes vote advocates that tells me there just has to be something evil in there somewhere.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

It's like fake boobs ... anyone can have them.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Imagine how the LGTBW movement would make it all about them !

And that's the exact reason my vote is a no.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   
If I did vote I would vote yes, it's a simple choice between liberty and oppression. However I still think this whole thing is stupid, they barely let us decide anything except who our next leader will be, then the one time they decide to ask the opinion of the public they do it with something stupid like this so that all our politicians can virtue signal each other. If our government truly believed in the liberal ideals they claim to hold they wouldn't need to ask, they would simply make gay marriage legal and not make a big show of it. Either ask our opinion on all important issues or do your job and make the hard decisions for us.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Dont forget Rudd,Gillard,Turnbull all at some stage were UNELECTED leaders.They are all over you like flies to poo as you go to vote but once you do they would not urinate on you if you were on fire.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Win/Lose...No?Yes?No...Doesn't matter. No matter what you vote for, you'll never hear the end of it. Like the "apology". How many times do I have to apologise for the past? Even the official version didn't stop the complaints. Crikey, 122 mill. What for? Better off giving that money to the poor.

Just get on with it. Then...regardless of the outcome,,,let it flaming be.

my thoughts,

kind regards,

bally

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Same sex marriage was an issue during the last election this should have been voted upon then not in a sepperate ballot wasting 122mil.

If only it was this easy to become a Republic, reform the system, get rid of the multi party system, pandering to a 3-4 year term and actually vote for the nations leader.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Isn't it a vote so the Bureau of statistics can get some numbers?

If so it has no relevance to the actual law but will indicate to politicians what changes they need to make based on popular vote.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Uh, I live in the U.S. Here even if there was a "bar code" on our ballots, it would still be secret. The bar code is not linked to you unless in your country, your ballot is printed specifically for you. In other words the bar code is to track the ballots, not who used them. If you put a picture of YOUR ballot with the BARCODE on the web, someone could illegally duplicate it.

So if when you walk in to vote, and they give you a ballot, after you prove ID, from a stack of ballots, you don't have to worry, you could even ask for a different one. Now if you walk into vote, and you are handed a ballot that is specifically for you, and you have to use that one, well that's a horse of a different color.

Honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

edit on 14-9-2017 by kurthall because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: InhaleExhale

Yes the vote will then be tabled in Parliament, waisting more time (the lower house waste it arguing like school children, not actually achieving bugger all so no matter) and money. When there is already a clear majority consent to the vote. Why waste the money on the ballot, just table the bill and ram it through.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Wow, that's kinda crazy. I am not from Australia but that does seem fishy.

In America same sex passed and I think most didn't expect cake bakers and priest to go to jail or paying fines. I think should have same rights as far as being allowed in hospitals or tax cuts but if a church or priest doesn't wish to marry you in sin I shouldn't be forced. But should they be married by a judge in a court system, why not? It always has to be left or right without no middle ground. You can be married without traditional marriage, if want a traditional wedding it shouldn't be by force.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join