It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perils of Hard Boozin.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Can you think back to any early subtle symptoms that make sense to you now?

Yeah. They make sense now but when I was diagnosed I thought, "Are you #ting me?"

I feel for you op, hope the new liver takes well.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Could you go on a diet like the Atkins type,low carb and lean meats?

Pretty much what I'm eating now...with the occasional Whopper(my fav).

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

That make prefect sense...now.
Before, not so much.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

The coconut oil is a good one.I stopped using crisco a long time ago
and use the coconut oil for my baking.I also use olive oil for cooking.
Could you go on a diet like the Atkins type,low carb and lean meats?

Coconut oil is good, but sometimes the flavor doesn't work out.

Olive oil is good too and I prefer the flavor more.

Crisco is evil and I only use vegetable oil when I have to.

The biggest return I have gotten over improving my diet in recent years is eating more dark greens...Spinach, Chard, Kale. It actually gives me a fresh feeling and energy boost daily, something vitamins and other stuff never did.

Spinach in olive oil, some garlic, dump a scrambled egg on top and I am in heaven.

For an extra boost, spinach, apple, carrots, kale, chard and enough water or orange juice in a blender (easy on the OJ if you must use it). That mix has been a great boost of energy in my daily life.

edit on 15-9-2017 by soberbacchus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

The only thing crisco is good for is making emergency candles out
of it.I will have to get my juicer out of storage and start using it
again.Thanks for this post you have some good advice here.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Thank God you're still around. I don't think some people have a grasp of how insidious alcohol consumption can be and I'm eternally grateful I've never had a compulsion to drink to excess.

Some of us are blessed to be able to enjoy the occasional libation, others should never get close to it. The terrible thing is, you really don't know if it'll be problematic until you have the problem.

it could be me, it could be anyone. Of all the things I'd be likely to judge someone over, a drinking problem ain't one of them.

You know we're all pulling for you.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

That make prefect sense...now.
Before, not so much.

My Uncle: "Everyone is going to stop drinking or drugging sometime. The only thing we don't know is if we are going to be alive when that happens"

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It's the first time I've posted anything in months, but reading your experience has moved me very much. I just lost an uncle (not even two weeks ago) due to advanced cirrhosis. His younger brother (my other uncle) died of the same thing three years ago.

Both were also heavy drinkers. Runs in the family (my own old man passed away 6 years ago from a non-cirrhotic drinking complication).

I hope you realize how very very lucky you are to still be here. My two uncles went into the waiting list but died before finding a transplant (although their cirrhosis was very advanced- Bleeding oesophageal varices, systemic organ malfunction, etc.).

Someone up there likes you very much and gave you the second chance my uncles and dad never got.

I'm glad you made it. Make the most out of it.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Tough as nails....if anyone can pull through it's Intrepid.

Sorry man, prayers and good vibes to you...be strong.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
While I was in my late twenties and early thirties I used to drink a lot.
I worked in a cocktail lounge and I would get two free drinks at the end
of my shift.I was at the point where my personal bar limit was 3 Long
Island ice teas with tequila,4, if made without tequila. I was getting drunk
a lot back then.

I know what it is like to find yourself hugging a public toilet getting sick
from drinking. I know what it is like waking up in a hotel room with someone
you barely know.The worst,not even remembering going to the hotel.Just
bits and pieces of memory of walking down a hallway or being in a shower.
The lowest part for me was hugging a public toilet and getting kicked out
of the restaurant we were at.Hearing words like...get her out of here.

By the grace of God I control my alcohol not the other way around.I can go
long periods of time without drinking.I can stop at one or two drinks now.
I don't allow myself to get drunk.The last time I was drunk I posted a thread
about it and was surprised that I didn't make any spelling errors.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I know what it is like waking up in a hotel room with someone
you barely know.

Freaked me out too.

But we're still pals, right?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I really doubt that you were the 400 pound italian or the 250 pound
truck driver!

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

I am Italian and I completely understand your confusion on the weight.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I've been trying for years to quit... So I drink less, but unless I've been in the hospital for something else? I've never gone more than 5 days in 20 years of my own free will not drinking a few beers at night. Sometimes more. I’ve only been drunk twice in my life - so I’m what - a ‘functioning’ drunk?

I want to stop - and I do - for a day or two - (got to 5!) and then...something happens. There's some excuse and I"m right back at it.

And I can't just have one. That's my predicament. I say, 'Oh, just ONE...'

Never happens. I can stare down a beer and say NO! But before the night is over it's like I"m not even thinking and I'll reach in and grab that cold one and after the first swallow or two? Well, can't waste it now can I?

I know there's a way out. I just can't seem to get myself to stay out. Which is another pisser because I've smoked cig's off and on for short periods of time (3 months tops) and NEVER have a problem throwing them away. No addiction to anything else either. But this bastard.

Thanks for sharing this Intrepid... It's just another kick in my arse and if I'm not careful there will come a day when I look back and say 'Wow, I had so many chances! So many people telling me to stop! To learn from their loss'...

But I'll be saying it from the grave of a hospital bed.

That right there? Sucks.

peace

edit on 5809Friday201713 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I watched my Uncle die from alcoholism a few years back.

He started drinking when he lost custody of his kids during a messy divorce. Once he was on that ride he just couldn't get off.

I did my very best to help him, tried to drag him to see a doctor, did his grocery shopping, looked in on him as often as I could. None of this changed anything, he just drank more and more, started hiding bottles of vodka under the sofa cushions and inside cereal boxes so I wouldn't find them.

He was lost to the disease and finally the disease won and he died. I found him on the floor when I went round his house because I hadn't heard from him for two days and I was worried.

Alcoholism is so terribly hard to beat, it's truly a demon looking over your shoulder all day every day.

I hope you continue to grow stronger day by day and and go on to live a long and fruitful life, pain free and full of good times.

Very best wishes to you, stay strong and be well.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Sorry you have to go through all of that, but glad you have the chance to see some recovery. Many don't. Knew someone that was gone in their thirties from hard drinking. Good warning, for others. Prayers you will heal well, and adapt to the new liver.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Alcoholism is a disease. The longer you drink, the longer it takes to recover. Most people make the mistake of quitting for a family member or significant other, the key to a full recovery is doing it solely for yourself.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Why so hard? Do you realize what a bitter old man your sound like? The op was providing a personal warning and sharing the effects of his mistake and you attack him? Why? He didn't use words you wanted him to? Are you angry you have ALS and your body has attacked you?
I have some major physical issues not caused by myself just bad luck and take a ton of pills just to live. Everyone has "their own journey."
Do you realize what an a** you sound like?
I certainly heard no bragging from the op-just a warning. Stop the attack-open your heart just a little-and show some compassion and understanding-and the bravery to share his journey of errors and the resulting punishment to himself-he knows he was a lucky one.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
I guess I should spread the good cheer like the others that have replied. I want. You Op in the entire thread have never once said." I'm an alcoholic" whether you think you are or are not....you are. Your thread isn't warning of the perils of drinking one's self to death. It's celebrating your 40 years of boozing. Your health is in the crapper because of your own poor choice's.

Watched the shat kill my dad, my Uncle Tracy, several friends and I watch my son battle it on the daily. Your damn lucky to have gotten a transplant......Alcohol is an equal opportunity killer. It cares not who you are or what your responsible for, it don't care. I hope you have learned your lesson, something tells me you haven't. Good luck with what quality of life you have left......alcohol took that away from you and it ain't coming back. You have YOU to blame for that.

The guy comes here, shares some very personal # to HELP OTHERS and your response is to attack him? Listen, it's clear you have some MAJOR issues with your dad and the other family members that drank, but please, keep those feelings to yourself.. This is not the place.

Thanks Intrepid for coming out and sharing this with us.. I hope you fully recover and I appreciate what you have shared.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I'm not really sure if this was because your thread or not...at least some small part of it sinked in.

I haven't been 'drunk' in almost 2 weeks now. I have had a couple drinks but didn't find them satisfying.

Have had a handful of days with zero alcohol.

I drank until good and drunk every day for over 2 years.

I am feeling a little mad that I have this gap to fill...that hole is why I drank in the first place.

Weird adjustment but it seems to be okay.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join