It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perils of Hard Boozin.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

You seem to be struggling with some very serious anger issues, are you by chance one of those angry drunks? Those people really shouldn't drink. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: cado angelus
Intrepid - a mod who we all know - shares something intimate with us in the hope that it will help others and he is met with this? Shame on you ATS. Shame on you. People have issues. Some deal with them in a way that is acceptable to you and others don't. That's life.

It takes a strong man to make a post like he did and if you want to be a """" about it, you do that. Remember, though, that you are nothing but a keyboard warrior. A sad soul who will insult others virtually but but drop one if it was face to face.

People are alcoholics. End of story. Does it make them bad people? Hell no. Get a grip. Grow up. Stop with your crap or go elsewhere. I'm sure there are some AA boards where everyone will agree with you.

you said it

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Akragon

We don't get hangovers...

thats right... when you build that tolerance

Everyone has their limit... and i've hit that many times headed to work

NoT FuN

That's why I don't drive.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I had to quit the booze and substitutes 25 years ago. I'd reached my quota. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I had a cousin who drank his way through 3 livers. Long story. But once you've worn out one, you gotta quit the booze or your done.

Best of luck.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
OP: Pay no attention to the a$$h013s that have replied to this thread. You are a very brave individual for sharing you story. Even though it's behind the shield of internet anonymity I am sure many here know you quite well. The rest of us see you actively posting. I definitely drink too much. It's caused me some problems in the past. I no longer drink to the point of drunkenness or even being buzzed, it's still cheap rubbing alcohol like vodka though. I've recently been experiencing some discomfort in the area commonly referred to as the "Solar plexus" as well as in the upper right side of the rib cage, just below the breast. I tend to be a bit nervous about my health, but I am a daily drinker and in afraid that it may soon catch up with me. Even in the form of a fatty liver, portal hypertension or other associated health issues. I just recently turned 30 and have also been seeing a psychiatrist that has prescribed a medication that seems to be helping quite a bit.

My biggest question​ is: did you have any of the symptoms of liver failure? Abdominal fluid, jaundice, blood circulation problems, muscle or weight loss? We're you ever diagnosed with fatty liver disease or experience any pain or discomfort?

I hope that my questions aren't too intrusive.
edit on 14-9-2017 by s3cz0ne because: Typos...

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Alcoholics generally drink every day.

I know, but not all do. Regardless, that wasn't the question.

I used to work with a guy who, after his wife left him, started heavily drinking. By the time I knew him, he drank pretty much all day every day, morning until night, even at work, and his health got worse and worse. I know plenty of people who drink every evening, who are probably alcoholics, but don't get drunk every night. That was the reason I asked.

I don't know what happened to him, since I quit that job, but if he kept drinking like he did, he would be dead now.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

edit on 14-9-2017 by s3cz0ne because: Damned "smart" phone!

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Lets hope for a full and speedy recovery. Stories such as yours, and those shared by others here are basically what kept me from developing an alcohol dependency. I also had an alcoholic pops that did not make things easy for us, but he had a related medical spell as a result in the early 2000's and has severely cut back in the years following.

I am still considered an alcoholic ironically because even though the number of times I consume alcohol every year I can probably count on one hand, I tend to binge drink. So while I may only drink when I show up to a party or out at a club, I tend to just drink until the lights go out.

Hopefully thats not enough to put me in the hospital for a chronic condition. I have certainly never taken it so far that a night passed out on a lawn has not cured. Lately however with my current neighbors, I seem to be able to just share a couple of beers without too much trouble. I guess I am getting better about it.

Anyways, keep on fighting man! That is what a mans life is about!

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Ignore the jerks, some people have zero compassion. It’s good to talk about what you are going through, it helps with the healing. We don’t always make the smart change until it’s too late, you have a second chance and I hope you stay on the path to recovery. Stay strong and all the best to you, booze can be a nasty evil demon.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   

We all have our demons, happy to hear that you are taking yours by the horn!
I hope your path to recovery proves to be as good as possible. Hang in there bud, and thanks for sharing your story with us.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   

When you say heavy, how heave is heavy? I drink about 25 pints a week Beer around 4.8% Christmas I will polish off a bottle of jamisons.. maybe have a few shots in the week.. think this is enough to damage my liver?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: megabogie

Some body who didn't hard booze probably had to die waiting for a liver, while Mr. Hard Boozin got his....only after his "crapped out"( his words not mine ). Now we all have our opinions, at least we did. Mine is he doesn't deserve the liver he was transplanted due to the fact he "hard boozed" his away. His words not mine. My disease I had zero to do with acquiring, OP on the other hand has only himself to blame...so let's don't compare apples to oranges. His OP reads like a braggart in a pub telling the alcohol infused tall tale of his plight. He should wallow in his plight, he's the reason he's where he is. There was no warning in his op, just the title, after that the perils of alcohol were forgotten. No one who drinks their liver to the crapper deserves a damn new one.....no one.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Intrepid

I am just going to say something you already well know, but it's for the other posters coming in here.

Galatians 6:7

Make no mistake about this: You can never make a fool out of God. Whatever you plant is what you'll harvest.

Free will is a wonderful thing, but it has always had a price, it's just like if we choose to violate the law of gravity, jumping without any saving apparatus, from a high place and we land on a hard surface.

You learned the hard way, better to live an learn the hard way, than die and not learn.

EDIT:
Having said that, I do have more empathy for you than the poster above me, because gluttons gets heart operations all the time to save them from a life of overeating and poor food choices.
edit on 15-9-2017 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yeah, hard boozing have it's dark side. I know a relative that died from liver failure. He was an uncontrolled alcoholic, even done jail time related to consumption. Here med. system is not what it is advertized, liver transplant for an alcoholic "nobody" is out of the question.

But the fact is he ignored consistently and constantly early sign of liver problem, like being sick and jaundice. Liver regenerate itself, but we need to give it the chance to do it.

Now that you have a brand new organ, here some advise. Yes alcohol is hard on liver, but do not underestimate other insult source to your hepatocytes. Try to avoid source of fructose molecules, very hard on liver and avoid overload yourself on carbs. Avoid also high weight fat, they require lot of bile salt to emulsifiate. Low molecular weight fat is easier to digest like coconut oil.

Avoid at all cost meds that are hard on liver like Acetaminophen and pay close attention to those level of blood liver enzymes that are marker for liver problem, AST and ALT.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Intrepid has never been one of my favorite mods,while he was one.BUT,
he was one that I could count on when I needed a mod.I believe him that
this thread is a warning to others about excessive drinking.I believe that
takes courage to open yourself up like this on the internet.
He was able to get a new liver after destroying his first one.He has a new
lease on life and I think he will do better this time around.Only God can
completely heal someone and maybe HE has a purpose for Intrepid,only
time will tell.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: s3cz0ne
My biggest question​ is: did you have any of the symptoms of liver failure? Abdominal fluid, jaundice, blood circulation problems, muscle or weight loss? We're you ever diagnosed with fatty liver disease or experience any pain or discomfort?

I hope that my questions aren't too intrusive.

Not till about 6 months before my diagnosis. The liver complained too late. I got all of that except the weight loss.

a reply to: Cofactor

Damn good advice. Thanks. And yeah we are keeping a close eye on the liver functions. Blood tests every week.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
a reply to: megabogie

Some body who didn't hard booze probably had to die waiting for a liver, while Mr. Hard Boozin got his....only after his "crapped out"( his words not mine ).

A) Incorrect.
Kids and patients with non-alcohol related disease get first priority and liver transplants have a waiting list that varies from a couple months to six months.

The vast majority of liver transplants are due to Alcoholism and alcoholics are at the bottom of the list of eligibility.

Each region has a panel of 20-30 doctors and surgeons (Transplant Committee) that evaluates patient history and circumstances to determine if they are worthy of a transplant. "Active" Alcoholics are denied by default.

So no...No non-alcoholics suffering from liver disease are denied a liver in favor of Alcohol related liver disease.

B) Alcoholism is a cunning and evil DISEASE. One that is actually encouraged in Western Culture and supported by Multi-billion dollar decades long perpetual marketing campaign from youth to old age.

I recommend for those that are being dismissive of the strength it takes to quit try this.

Go to the bathroom mirror, take a hard look at yourself. Make full eye contact. Choose some small thing you don't like about yourself or that you want to change. Then never do it again. Maybe it's saying the word "um" or tiny nervous habit, or something in you diet you know is not good for you. Then never do it again.

Discover how difficult it is to identify something and change just one daily habit.

Then imagine changing a major Physical + Emotional addiction thoroughly engrained in your mind and body over decades.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Thread sort of jolted me a bit. Made a mistake of googling liver disease symptoms.
Anyways, it all gave end stage liver symptoms that seem to relate to fibrosis or cirrhosis.
Can you think back to any early subtle symptoms that make sense to you now?

Also. Alcoholism is a hell of thing. People who yell and scream and talk smack about them have no idea what those people are going through.
I feel for you op, hope the new liver takes well.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

The coconut oil is a good one.I stopped using crisco a long time ago
and use the coconut oil for my baking.I also use olive oil for cooking.
Could you go on a diet like the Atkins type,low carb and lean meats?

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Just a couple passages to mediate on:

Sobriety is about seeing the world with clarity in times when booze would help cheat and dim the lights.
Clarity in itself can be the greatest high life has to offer.
Life was meant to require some strength and courage.
Just practice looking carefully at the things you have stopped paying attention to over the years.
You will see things both wonderful and scary.
Find the eyes you used to have as a child, recover the natural wonder we are all gifted at birth.

Be true to yourself and others. You only get to do this once and you almost folded. Take the second round to try something different.

(The obvious, but still very meaningful and useful)
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

(An oldy but goody)

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.