It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goosebumps and Music Study, do you get emotional?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Hi ATS

I was recently linked to a study on the effects of music on people by a friend, although this study was only of 20 people I did find it to be fascinating.

Vogue Article

Scientists took brain scans of 10 people who said they got chills while listening to music and 10 who didn't. The people who got chills had more fibers connecting their auditory cortex (which we use to process what we hear), the brain areas that process emotions

Now I know I experience this, I've gotten overly emotional with music, especially when drinking for some reason. Now I'm guessing you're thinking "well Ray everyone usually gets an emotional attachment to music" but is that truly the case?

As I see it most people get emotional due to an aspect they relate to the song, like you and your partners love song or grandads favourite song, singing about similar life experiences, things like that.

How many here can say they are moved by a song they didn't know just because of the song?

Here's a song that did it for me:

I picked this because I didn't even know what the song was about for years since I don't understand Swahili. It's about orphans apparently.

So, what about your own experiences with music?

Feel free to post a song

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I find music to be powerful and it always evokes an emotion of some kind or another. I will be listening to people's examples in here.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I loved the second one.

So why these?

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

If I went deaf I'd wish for death.

Music was my first live it'll always be my last

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I get goosebumps from music and so do my kids. I've always thought that music was one of the proofs of the spiritual aspects of reality that materialists deny. There are many songs I could choose to fit your category but I'll go with this one:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

I won't play that song.

Turn it off whenever someone puts it on. I've had a few experiences with music, that might suggest you're right about a spiritual aspect in reality.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rexsblues

I love me some screaming guitars, very nice.

The second half is ace, goosebumps accomplished

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: RAY1990

I loved the second one.

So why these?

I don't know how to explain. The first band, Wardruna, is one of my favorites. It just... speaks to me on some sort of spiritual level. I used to go sit in the forest and listen to them while watching the trees. I haven't since moving to Florida for college, as I don't want to taint the spirit of the music by experiencing it in the wrong kind of environment, if that makes any sense. I'm waiting until I move back north to continue listening to them.
Anyway, their music is just... powerful in a way that seems so familiar. For me it goes far beyond a listening experience. The second song did something to me that sent me into a crying spell the first few times I listened to it.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I get goosebumps from music fairly frequently. Sometimes it's an association to a period, a person or situation and sometimes it's more of abstract thing like being sentimental over the passage of time. After my dad died, my brothers and I had a fire and sat around drinking, taking turns playing songs that had us all blubbering. Sometimes though, it's a song I've never heard that seems to strike some emotional chord.

I think now that I'm middle-aged, I'm definitely becoming increasingly sentimental too. Here's a few additions to the video embeds in no certain order:

One of those songs that just has a real sentimental vibe:

This got me and my niece on a road trip a couple months ago (we were also headed to an interment so...)

I generally dislike Blink 182 but this one reminds me of a teenage family friend who killed himself:

Friggin' Taltz commercial. Had to find out what it was:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

That's a good one though for me, the NIN original is more emotionally stirring.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Yeah. I can get goosebumps from songs I've heard thousands of times (Rainbow's "Stargazer") just as well as I can get goosebumps from something during the first listen (Enslaved's "Ruun" album did that to me way back in 2006). When I saw Enslaved on that tour (they played Fort Worth TWICE!) it was a total goosebump fest.

When I saw Magma in NYC a few years ago... it was unreal... those weren't goosebumps. Those were something so profound there isn't a human word for them.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Music rarely if ever moves me.

Seems very tribal to me.

Most of my family was musical.

The gene just skipped me...

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I'm not a fan of NIN or Reznor but very much appreciate the lyrics of this song. I am a huge fan of Cash and would listen to him sing Ring Around the Rosie. Subjective opinion only.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

How about a sense of transcendence? Do you ever get that from music? I'm a sucker for space-y instrumentation:

I guess I would say it's the tribal aspects of this song:

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Interesting song choice. I've never heard it before and it hits me right in the chest.

Here are 2 more that hit me like that, though for completely different reasons. I first heard this one in a conspiracy video, then had to find it. Apparently it's also on the "Ali" soundtrack. It hits me with a "deeply depressing yet steadfast strength"-type of feeling, like this would be my soundtrack if I had to make a last stand to protect my family while knowing I'd die in the process.

Then there's this song which literally floods with me with feelings of kindness, devotion, etc. The 2nd verse & the part after the 2nd chorus just melt me. If I ever get married, they absolutely must play this song! The music doesn't actually start until 3min 10sec.

Nearly the entire Sade album "Lovers Rock" would be an honorable mention.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Thanks.

I haven't since moving to Florida for college, as I don't want to taint the spirit of the music by experiencing it in the wrong kind of environment

That makes perfect sense to me. I've got a few artists I won't taint if I'm not in the right from of mind or scenario, when something is truly special you shouldn't ruin it. Even if that means experiencing it less, it's worth it.

Dr's take note. Sometimes a song shouldn't be played to death. It's why 1 song breaks the ground then everyone follows. It's not just pop music but everyone does want to be popular.

Sorry about the little rant.

Anyway, their music is just... powerful in a way that seems so familiar. For me it goes far beyond a listening experience. 

I hear you, it's also why I'm going to listen to them again. Because I wasn't in the location nor mind to fully appreciate them. The second one especially, it was powerful.

The second song did something to me that sent me into a crying spell the first few times I listened to it.

That's why I made this thread!

I had a feeling that quite a few on ATS would have these experiences. It is as you say, beyond a listening experience.

Again, thanks for your post.

posted on Sep, 5 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Goosebumps... first two songs came to mind.
I'm a big Kimock fan because I love his style and tone and the first time I heard this performance, I actually thought,"this is my swan song that I want played at my funeral." Haunting and beautiful imo. I like when instruments alone can evoke such depth and emotion.

I had never heard of this artist before, but the message, musical accompaniment and spirit gave me goosebumps the first listen.

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join