It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
1.) During a Greek Life event, a frat boy on campus is walking around eating a banana...after he eats it, he can't find a trash can...so he tosses the peel in a nearby tree.

2.) Later, three black Ole Miss students, walking by, see the peel hanging from the tree.

3.) Guess what happens next (HINT: it involves racism)

The Daily Mississippian described what happened:

"The massive discussion session wrapped up as more and more students stood and left the room - some in tears, some in frustration. NPHC members began texting friends to come and pick them up from the camp since no one had been allowed to drive his or her car up to the retreat. The remainder of the retreat was canceled later that night," the newspaper reported.

thedmonline.com...

There is a raging controversy within the University of Mississippi’s Greek Life community regarding race relations and bananas.

A Greek Life leader accidentally sparked mass hysteria after he placed a banana peel on a tree in the woods -- because he could not find a trash can.

The Daily Mississippian reports that three black students found the banana peel -- and were apparently triggered by what they saw.

"To be clear, many members of our community were hurt, frightened, and upset," the interim director of fraternity and sorority life wrote in a letter obtained by the newspaper.

The president of one sorority told the newspaper that "bananas have historically been used to demean black people."

townhall.com...

Fortunately, the offending banana-eating student has apologized for his insensitivity.
edit on 31-8-2017 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+49 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

How are these students going to survive in the real world if they are driven to tears over something like this?
edit on pm88201717America/Chicago31p12pm by annoyedpharmacist because: (no reason given)

+23 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Fortunately, the offending banana-eating student has apologized for his insensitivity.

He should apologize for littering. That's far more offensive than the emotionally retarded sensibilities of the three who were offended.

+29 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
As the first and foremost expert on flinging bananas, this was not racism!

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The college better do something or risk riots.

This is all kicking the can down the road-very popular these days. Sooner or later the adnim is going to have to say no. So riots and protests are going to happen anyway.

+32 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
WTF Did I just read.

So a banana peel on a tree represents hanging black people because they look like monkeys and monkeys eat bananas....

Do these people know that taking things out of context like this is what's labeling them the things they hate....

The safest place for a banana peel is in a tree. Someone could have gotten hurt if he threw it on the ground. We should be thanking him.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This is actually my defense mechanism, if I am in a situation where I must escape, I shoot bananas, people yell racism, then they slip and I make my exit.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

"bananas have historically been used to demean black people."

Here's what I don't get... How? What's wrong with bananas? How does implying someone likes bananas mean they're somehow inferior? It's fruit. Human beings of all races eat fruit. The same for watermelon or fried chicken... It's food. There's nothing wrong with those things. I could say all day "Oh look, a black person! Maybe they like bananas and watermelon and chicken!" and it wouldn't mean a thing. That's like saying "Oh look, a white person! He must like strawberry milk!"
Some people need to get over their very obvious inferiority complex and deal with it. Anybody who literally cries because someone saw a banana peel has something seriously wrong with their head.

Grow the hell up.

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

FFS, I have a headache from 'facepalming' today.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's time to outlaw bananas and banana-eating on every campus.

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

How are these students going to survive in the real world if they are driven to tears over something like this?

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Omg
The absurdity is strong with this one.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: annoyedpharmacist

Perhaps this Darwinism at work. These imbeciles will be residing in institutions for the insane and out of the general populations way. Win Win

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
this reads like satire...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Banana peel racism is a slippery slope...It must be stamped out.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

Yeah, they're so silly to be offended by a banana peel because clearly there are no racists spouting racist # in the world.
edit on 2017-8-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

a frat boy on campus is walking around eating a banana...after he eats it, he can't find a trash can...so he tosses the peel in a nearby tree.

Plausibly deniable racism, as in monkeys eat bananas, too.

Chicken s*** , what huh?? "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that blacks are descended from apes".

Yes frat boy, you did.

article

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Chicken s*** , what huh?? "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that blacks are descended from apes". Yes frat boy, you did.

We are descended from a race of hominids who very much resembled apes.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

It was a racist act. Read the article I linked.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Yeah, they're so silly to be offended by a banana peel because clearly there are no racists spouting racist # in the world.

I think people have been whipped up into a frenzy over things that would not normally be viewed as racism if social and national media weren't blowing it out of proportion.

You have people seeing apparitions of Nazis and Klansman behind every bush and tree.

edit on 31 8 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join