It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discarded Banana Peel Causes Racial Hysteria at Ole Miss

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

I may view these students as emotionally stunted idiots, but this is just a generalization that is not grounded in reality. Generational welfare is an issue in the black community, but it is also the SAME issue with white and hispanic people. Stereotypes aren't going to help heal divisions currently being caused both by the media and the loud minority of racists and ANTIFA type groups.

Government dependence is an issue that affects all Americans, one we should be addressing together.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: projectvxn

It was a racist act. Read the article I linked.

So the student is definitely a racist?
I, too, have eaten a banana and tossed the peel. Does that make me racist too?

If anything mate it shows you care more about whats inside and zero f#cks about the outside. 👌

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: theantediluvian

They won't. They'll remain jobless, live off welfare, have multiple children outside of marriage, and then claim the evil white people held them back.

Yeah, they're so silly to be offended by a banana peel because clearly there are no racists spouting racist # in the world.

Hysterical over reactions to completely nonracist things, such as a banana peel, only serve to dilute the public's support when real racist things happen. It's the Boy Who Cried Wolf, y'all!

Not, racism associating bananas with blacks (because monkeys eat bananas too), is directly intended as racist, has historical precedent. See the link I brought last page.

Before you de-cry wolf.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Yes this is the future of our country, smh.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

a reply to: IAMTAT

a frat boy on campus is walking around eating a banana...after he eats it, he can't find a trash can...so he tosses the peel in a nearby tree.

Plausibly deniable racism, as in monkeys eat bananas, too.

Chicken s*** , what huh?? "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that blacks are descended from apes".

Yes frat boy, you did.

article

If you are a non-black person reading this, please understand we are not having a discussion about whether this incident is racist. We have correctly labeled it as racist and we are moving along.

That's all I need to know about your source.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And you're blind...

Historically, "Ape like" imagery associated with black people 'isn't racist', got it. The use of bananas to compare them to apes is old, too.

Please don't assume I live in a bubble.

This incident isn't that. It isn't even an incident. It's an issue that exists only in the minds of these students.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

a reply to: projectvxn

It was a racist act. Read the article I linked.

So the student is definitely a racist?
I, too, have eaten a banana and tossed the peel. Does that make me racist too?

I note you left out the historical racist reference associating bananas with black people in your OP.

Did I?
Then you've obviously missed THIS:

The president of one sorority told the newspaper that "bananas have historically been used to demean black people."
--From OP

FYI: No apology necessary.

link   

Yeah, they're so silly to be offended by a banana peel because clearly there are no racists spouting racist # in the world.

What does that have to do with a banana in a tree? Do people realize that bananas grow on trees and hang there until they're picked out, put up for sale, and sold? Is it a coincidence that they turn brown when they go bad? Help me out here...

link   
a reply to: avgguy

Really, because in the context of racism on their campus, committed in recent years by frat boys and in the greater context of another university having bananas hanging from nooses, in the even greater context of racists demeaning black people with comparisons to monkeys, these students are wrong to wonder if a banana peel placed in a tree might be somehow connected?

WTF sticks a banana peel in a tree anyway? In the absence of a garbage can, rather than throwing it on the ground, he draped it in a tree?

Even assuming it was just a misunderstanding, the context is there for students to misunderstand. And whatever the case may be, this post is still racist af and the fact that none of you care to man up and say anything about it shows exactly where you are on the subject of actual racism:

You won't call out racism when it's in your face.
edit on 2017-8-31 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Yah, only blacks think whites are racist...

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

the context is there for students to misunderstand.

I get what you're saying.

But what are we really talking about here? Littering isn't really a judicious act on the part of the person doing it. It's mindless and lacks any forethought whatsoever. Are we all to walk on eggshells and color all of our thoughts and actions through the lens on racial sensitivity?

Isn't that a whole lot of time wasted on something that is scientifically irrelevant anyway?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

So without context kids walk by a tree and automatically assume it's a racial attack on them? I'm not buying that. It seems like they wanted to create drama by acting like they were "hurt" by the accidental reference. For the record I don't condone racist behavior.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Banana peels are biodegradable...so is it really littering?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Your edit of your OP is also duly noted.

As well as your deflection, "If I eat bananas, am I racist?"

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

a reply to: avgguy

Really, because in the context of racism on their campus, committed in recent years by frat boys and in the greater context of another university having bananas hanging from nooses, in the even greater context of racists demeaning black people with comparisons to monkeys, these students are wrong to wonder if a banana peel placed in a tree might be somehow connected?

WTF sticks a banana peel in a tree anyway? In the absence of a garbage can, rather than throwing it on the ground, he draped it in a tree?

Even assuming it was just a misunderstanding, the context is there. And whatever the case may be, this is still racist af and the fact that none of you care to man up and say anything about it shows exactly where you are on the subject of actual racism:

You won't call out racism when it's in your face.

You're right. We should totally ruin this kids life by branding him a racist from here on after, over a potential misunderstanding, because the context is there.

Assuming your not black yourself, do black people want you making this fight yours? Seems a little bigoted, like they can't fight racism without your help or something. There's a difference between acknowledging and combating racism, and what you are doing.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

He could have been editing spelling or grammar.

Are we now to use a feature of ATS as a weapon?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I'm concerned about the rise of random volleys from unlicensed Banana Slings.

Racism is not at work here, besides the assumption by the douches that because of the existence of white people, it had to be the cause.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The edit was to insert the photo. Nice try.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

a reply to: Wardaddy454

Yah, only blacks think whites are racist...

No, just closing off discussion. Comedians throughout the history of the profession have been heckled and have had things thrown at them.

But this time it's racism.
edit on 31-8-2017 by Wardaddy454 because: dyac

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

a frat boy on campus is walking around eating a banana...after he eats it, he can't find a trash can...so he tosses the peel in a nearby tree.

Plausibly deniable racism, as in monkeys eat bananas, too.

Chicken s*** , what huh?? "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that blacks are descended from apes".

Yes frat boy, you did.

article

Lincoln Blades, anti-Trumper, BLM apologist writes an article about some kid throwing a banana at Chappelle for embarrassing his friend, get's arrested for assault because the banana hits Chappelle in the leg, and it's made into a huge ordeal about race.

"Racist white male throws a banana peel at Dave Chappelle." Surely you understand how ignorant that sounds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join