It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheisms flat earth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Well yeah. It's a false correlation to assume that atheist == intelligent...

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Now define God without using a simile or metaphor.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Click the link to the Insight book or the first song (which contains not just a metaphorical use of language, not that there's anything wrong with that when it does when clarifying matters). Or just read my previous comment again without only looking for* or interpreting things as similes or metaphors (*: to pound on or complain about as if it's not OK). There don't seem to be any similes or metaphors being used in the short definition for God at the start of my quotation, as far as I can see that is.
edit on 30-8-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

First off, why can't you use your own words? Second off, no. I am not going to just disregard similes and metaphors because you want me to. I want an objective and measurable definition of god that can be compared and analyzed. Using flowery poetry by comparing God to love isn't going to satisfy.
edit on 30-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Then I'll limit myself to encouraging you to be more resistant to triggering phrases such as "God is love". And perhaps a reminder that luring someone into the type of debate you seem to want to have would take the thread way off-topic. While admitting that I already have a tendency to do that when responding to people like the one who was asking for a definition for God. So I'm thinking...'best not go there'. OK, I'll share one tidbit about my thought-patterns when contemplating whether or not to include the 2 songs for "God is love":

I actually considered not posting them because of your type of expected complaint (and even possible denial that it was a complaint if I respond more to it using that terminology "complaint", you don't care after all right?). Just to argue about words or just anything one can complain about not meeting their standards or expressed requirements. And in this case to dismiss it by labeling it as "flowery poetry" with the effect of triggering a negative response in oneself and a number of possible readers of that comment.
edit on 30-8-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Ok. So don't do it. I'll continue to not give one fart about your god then.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

For someone who doesn't give a fart, you seem to be here and about quite a lot
I sort of get your name," krazyshot". because you are always getting triggered

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

And IFERS was started by a Christian (Samuel Shenton) based on his interpretation of Genesis.

As for Daniel Shenton (no relation to Samuel)? Can you prove he's an atheist?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Are you going to prove to us that he's an atheist? I'm still waiting.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Are you going to prove to us that he's an atheist? I'm still waiting.

Have you not seen him post before? Expecting him to prove anything is the same as expecting a Flat Earther to understand science.

It just ain't gonna happen

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Flat Earth theory is one of those things that no matter what you believe in the face of MOUNTAINS of scientific and mathematical evidence, you can find a link online to support what you think is right.

The internet should be making people MORE educated, but it's making people believe in things that have no reason to exist.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
The internet should be making people MORE educated, ...

Here's what's going on with (or the effect of ) the internet (among other things).

The Manipulation of Information: Awake!—2000

“By clever and persevering use of propaganda even heaven can be represented as hell to the people, and conversely the most wretched life as paradise.”—ADOLF HITLER, MEIN KAMPF.

AS MEANS of communicating have expanded—from printing to the telephone, radio, television, and the Internet—the flow of persuasive messages has dramatically accelerated. This communications revolution has led to information overload, as people are inundated by countless messages from every quarter. Many respond to this pressure by absorbing messages more quickly and accepting them without questioning or analyzing them.

The cunning propagandist loves such shortcuts—especially those that short-circuit rational thought. Propaganda encourages this by agitating the emotions, by exploiting insecurities, by capitalizing on the ambiguity of language, and by bending rules of logic. As history bears out, such tactics can prove all too effective.
[from the follow-up article linked in my signature, i.e. the next page]
They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others. They also distort and twist facts, specializing in lies and half-truths. Your emotions, not your logical thinking abilities, are their target.

The propagandist makes sure that his message appears to be the right and moral one and that it gives you a sense of importance and belonging if you follow it. You are one of the smart ones, you are not alone, you are comfortable and secure—so they say.

How can you protect yourself from the types of people that the Bible calls “profitless talkers” and “deceivers of the mind”? (Titus 1:10) Once you are familiar with some of their tricks, you are in a better position to evaluate any message or information that comes your way. Here are some ways to do this.

Be selective: A completely open mind could be likened to a pipe that lets just anything flow through it—even sewage. No one wants a mind contaminated with poison. Solomon, a king and educator in ancient times, warned: “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” (Proverbs 14:15) So we need to be selective. We need to scrutinize whatever is presented to us, deciding what to accept and what to reject.
Use discernment: Discernment is “acuteness of judgment.” It is “the power or faculty of the mind by which it distinguishes one thing from another.” A person with discernment perceives subtleties of ideas or things and has good judgment.

Using discernment, we will be able to recognize those who are merely using “smooth talk and complimentary speech” in order to “seduce the hearts of guileless ones.” (Romans 16:18) Discernment enables you to discard irrelevant information or misleading facts and distinguish the substance of a matter. But how can you discern when something is misleading?

Put information to the test: “Beloved ones,” said John, a first-century Christian teacher, “do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions.” (1 John 4:1) Some people today are like sponges; they soak up whatever they come across. It is all too easy to absorb whatever is around us.

But it is far better for each individual personally to choose what he will feed his mind. It is said that we are what we eat, and this can apply to food for both the body and the mind.
No matter what you are reading or watching or listening to, test to see whether it has propagandistic overtones or is truthful.

Moreover, if we want to be fair-minded, we must be willing to subject our own opinions to continual testing as we take in new information. We must realize that they are, after all, opinions. Their trustworthiness depends on the validity of our facts, on the quality of our reasoning, and on the standards or values that we choose to apply.

Ask questions:...

Do not just follow the crowd: ...

posted on Oct, 30 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Maybe the Earth is flat and that's why the Titanic sunk

posted on Nov, 1 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Here's what wikipedia has to say about the Flat Earth Society...

In 1956, Samuel Shenton created the International Flat Earth Society [Snip]

Shenton died in 1971. Charles K. Johnson inherited part of Shenton's library from Shenton's wife, and established and became president of the International Flat Earth Research Society of America and Covenant People's Church in California [Snip]

Johnson's beliefs were based on the Bible, and he saw scientists as pulling a hoax which would replace religion with science [Snip]

Much of the society's literature in its early days focused on interpreting the Bible to mean that the Earth is flat [Snip]

Flat Earth societies have long been criticized... Eugenie Scott called the group an example of "extreme Biblical-literalist theology: The earth is flat because the Bible says it is flat, regardless of what science tells us" [Snip]

Wiki

Just goes to show that ones beliefs are not a good indication of ones intelligence!

edit on 1-11-2017 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
The Bible doesn't say that though. Just like it doesn't say jews are Europeans who speak Yiddish.

When the Bible doesn't say something but you say it does, that makes you a liar.

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

There are so many, many people on earth with the goal to deceive other people, that has been a trend for thousands of years.

There is no bigger liar that Paul and those who put together the bible. To say that a book is the Word of the Creator of the Universe has misled so many millions of people it is absolutely abhorring. They knew very, very well that they were completely lying. Yet most of humanity today has no idea that they were completely lying.

Just because some scum of the earth decided to say, that their writings are the Absolute Word of the Creator of the Universe, does not mean that people should believe them! But I guess that just because it is such a large claim, people are gullible enough to be fooled by it.

Why are people so sure that the writers of the bible are not mere humans with alternative goals and ambitions for material gains?

God is real, but the bible is a crime!

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dudemo5
Those are soft atheists. Agnostic atheists. They recognize that there is no empirical proof of God and therefore do not believe in one, but acknowledge that they do not truly know whether God exists.

What about the kind who don't even know what "God" is supposed to mean? Like if you had a box and somebody says there may be something inside the box, or there may not, and even if it was in there they can't describe it to you anyway? Can a person believe or not believe in something undefined?

posted on Nov, 14 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
just to give this thread the kicking it deserves :

heres a quote from a flat earth idiot [ mark sargent ]

Try to be an atheist and be [into] Flat Earth. It cannot be done. I have yet to find an atheist that believes in any version of this [flat] model.

source

the source gives context and timestamp to an imbeded vid

you were saying ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join