It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheisms flat earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Barliman
a reply to: Dudemo5

I would call "soft atheism" agnosticism

Many would.

It's also called agnostic atheism.

The difficulty is that agnostics "don't believe in God" either. After all, one cannot believe in something if they're not sure it exists.

Like I said, these terms defy absolute definitions, which is why it's important to clarify one's definitions before beginning any conversation about them.
edit on 28-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Just because one flat earth guy is a Atheist does not mean all atheists believe this , same as not all religious people blow themself up around woman and children....
edit on 28-8-2017 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Creation industries international?

That is one very creepy website. I can't really tell what your point is here. Do you agree with the writer of this article? Natalie Wolchover is also a writer for livescience.com which is a proprietor of pseudoscience. www.livescience.com... Here is where this article intends to take you.

I guess the point here is that you're mad that people think religious folk are dumb and spread dumb ideas like flat earth. Then you found this article calling out the creator of the flat earth society as an evolutionist. And you think evolutionists are atheists? Almost everybody i know understands evolution. Most of them are religious. The article doesn't actually say that the leader of the flat earth society is an atheist, you are just conflating evolutionist with atheist because you don't believe in the concepts of evolution and you hate atheists.

I'm also guessing by the timestamp on the OP, that you were drunk and Surfing the darknet for anti atheist Morpheus and found some confirmation bias, and that was good enough.

a reply to: Raggedyman

edit on 28-8-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I am atheist.

I believe that flat earth is the result of complete ignorance, religious or not.

Believe what you want and I'll believe what I want.

There problem solved.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

"But arnt atheists religious anyway"

This is like asking are pacifists violent? Are conservationists wasteful consumers, etc.

The question doesn't make sense. I can't make heads or tails of what you are trying to say.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
But arnt atheists religious anyway

No. Being an atheist isn't a religious standpoint. It's the name for the 'state' of non belief in someone's claim that there is a God in the absence of evidence. Nothing more. And it's a stupid way to moniker someone who doesn't believe in something.

I don't believe in Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny. That doean't mean I'm a aClausist or an aBunnyiest. You don't go and label people who do not believe in Zeus as aZeusists, do you? No, because that would be ridiculous.

Pretty stupid, if you ask me..
edit on 28-8-2017 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Flat earth is a joke. People who seriously believe the earth is flat are unhinged.

I don't believe any religion teaches that the earth is flat. People overanalyse meaning in the words, but nowhere in the Bible does it say, for example, "yeah, the earth is flat, like a plate, and if you walkest to the edge you'll fall off".

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

It was an atheist. Not the modern atheist movement.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

It was an atheist.

I mean is he? What evidence has the OP presented to even say that is true?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

believe that the Earth is a disc that you can fall off of

So I wonder what they think happens after you fall off?
Do you fall forever? Is there a infinitely large ground down
below us somewhere? Is it like a video game and you just poof
out of existence?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It's God eat God world isn't it?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dudemo5
As a broad generality, I think it's safe to say that there are two main types of Atheists:
1) Hard atheists -- who BELIEVE there is no God.
2) Soft atheists -- who recognize that there is no empirical proof of a God and therefore choose not to believe in one.

I like to think of myself as a third type:

3) A person who doesn't know what someone is even talking about when they say "God," (most people don't even know themselves), rendering the whole question of "do you believe in...?" entirely moot.

Define God for me, and I'll tell you whether or not I believe in such a thing, or property, or force, or being, or whatever. I've never seen anybody provide a definition of God that isn't an inherently paradoxical. How can I believe in something no one can even define?

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   
My point is simple, not amazed that it is above some peoples Comprehension

Flat earth in this instance is being championed by an atheist
Many atheists try and push the theory of a FE as a religious belief

It's not

Proof in the link

Atheists, they will believe and defend anything
edit on 29-8-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   

I've seen atheists using flat earth as a stick to beat religious people with; it happens. They're generally not saying religious folk *believe* in flat earth. What they are doing is holding up one ridiculous belief (flat earth) and equating it with all religious beliefs. It's the fallacy of reducing something to absurdity with a measure of contempt thrown in.

If you think about it, you're doing the same. You're holding up this example of a ridiculous belief and equating it with all atheists.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I've seen atheists using flat earth as a stick to beat religious people with; it happens. They're generally not saying religious folk *believe* in flat earth. What they are doing is holding up one ridiculous belief (flat earth) and equating it with all religious beliefs. It's the fallacy of reducing something to absurdity with a measure of contempt thrown in.

If you think about it, you're doing the same. You're holding up this example of a ridiculous belief and equating it with all atheists.

Oh the irony, the hypocrisy, the stupidity of my comments

Funny innit, triggers some people around here

Almost as if...
edit on 29-8-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Coming from people who believe there is a dude in the sky who controls everything and made everything in the universe

edit on 29-8-2017 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

My comments are way above your intelect arnt they

You and many others here are who I was mocking, you make me so proud of atheists and your beliefs
Make this thread so worthwhile and still you don't get it

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Oh okay. I get this now. You say things regardless of your beliefs to get reactions out of a certain group of people.

You get turned on by this. Rock hard.

Watching people defend themselves and their beliefs all because you find what they believe in is stupid or insignificant...

I hope you have enough tissues.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Flat earth in this instance is being championed by an atheist

Stupidity is not limited to a person's belief or disbelief in a deity. Stupidity is a common trait among many people.

The FE theory is as stupid as they come.

Many atheists try and push the theory of a FE as a religious belief

Really? Who? Name 5. You say many atheists -- that's more than one by a bunch.

That's somewhat oxymoronic -- an 'atheist', which is a stupid term, will not just 'believe' in 'anything' by default. They expect evidence and in this case, 'atheist' is just the stupid name given to someone who does not believe in a god due to lack of evidence.

To be honest the term should be agnostic because we're all agnostics; even the so claimed religious as, no one actually knows if there is a god. Religious idiots believe it from faith; believing without evidence, therefore they don't actually know. 'Atheists' do not believe it because there is no evidence to suggest there is, but they don't actually 'know' there is not for a fact.

Therefore, the default position of all humanity is agnostic with the clever ones leaning towards atheism.
edit on 29-8-2017 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join