It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump expected to lift ban on military gear to local police forces

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Another Obama executive order may bite the dust.

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to lift a controversial ban on the transfer of some surplus military equipment to police departments whose battlefield-style response to rioting in a St. Louis suburb three years ago prompted a halt to the program.
www.usatoday.com...

Let's give your local police large caliper weapons, heavy equipment and armored vehicles. That will work out OK.?

The new plan, outlined in documents obtained by USA TODAY, would roll back an Obama administration executive order that blocked armored vehicles, large-caliber weapons, ammunition and other heavy equipment from being re-purposed from foreign battlefields to America's streets.

On Monday, Attorney General Jeff Sessions is scheduled to address the annual meeting of the Fraternal Order of Police, the nation's largest police union, and he may outline the program changes there.

Of course there is not enough money to run put police forces. And the military equipment will help respond to local unrest.

The FOP and some other law enforcement groups have long been pressing for a reversal of the Obama administration policy, arguing that access to such equipment was needed, especially in cash-strapped communities, to better respond to local unrest.

This will be a good way to dump a lot of equipment from the Military industrial complex. Imagine all the Humvees that are obsolete now that the Oshkosh are being brought in ($30,000,000,000 contract). Humvees will be fun to see zipping around town. Especially if we can mount some full auto ma deuces on top.

(post by vonclod removed for political trolling and baiting)
+18 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Sorry, I agree with Obama on this one. We don't need police armed and geared up like the military

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

Seems if there is a problem that big in a city, call the national guard.

This could up the counter force if we have police start "cracking " skulls in armored personal carrier.

Every action has a reaction.

edit on 27-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I see no issue here. Its a great way to repurpose that inventory.

Course, the fringe side of me screams, "uuhh, hello?! this is just a covert means for easier population control when agenda 9 goes lives...."

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The real fun happens when there's mistakes made, the SWAT team raids your house bringing some MRAPS along, more.

Earlier convesation on this exact issue:

So does Kara Dansky, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union. She is uncomfortable with these vehicles designed for combat responding to calls in small town America.

To her, military-grade equipment has no place in civilian law enforcement and says her research has shown it can actually increase violence. "We've seen a number of instances in which police departments receive training that suggests that they have what we call a warrior type mentality," she said. "They think of themselves as an engaging in a battle."

Why is a warrior mentality problematic in civilian law enforcement officers? "We think the bottom line is that the police are here to protect and serve, not treat our neighborhoods like war zones," she said.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I disagree with this policy.

Giving police heavy weapons and armored equipment means that they will have to use it to justify keeping it.

link   
Honestly, I 'd rather see outdated equipment go to local law enforcement, rather than being sold to an outside country who may turn against us. I do have many extended family in law enforcement. My own husband, spent a term down in Jacksonville, Fl. Before deciding that was not his thing.

Are there douches with bias in law enforcement...yes! Honestly, though, more often than not...it is a very small percentage. Trust me, if the citizens and GOVERNMENT doesn't assist those who volunteer to make such a living...that percentage will be even higher and life will really suck for the average citizens. Why? The good and intelligent ones, will toss their badges and just walk away. They can easily find a job that they will be appreciated with less stress and BS.

America needs to appreciate those men in blue and by making their lives safer...will make yours safer too.

link   

I wonder if the Congressional Black Caucus will raise hell this time considering the approved it the last time?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Funny how the story says police dept are cash strapped and the Oshkosh contract for the Humvee replacement is $30,000,000,000 -plus.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Finally something we can agree on. I think this is a really poor idea. The police and military have completely different missions and require mostly different tools to fulfill them.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
bad, bad idea

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Imagine the optics on a "large caliber" weapon being used during a riot.

Bad for the police and bad for the rioters.

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, (or the Police become the military) then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.

Battlestar Galactica
edit on 27-8-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It was Bush that started the program. Or was it Clinton ? Obama ramped it up . I know , as under Obama my small city received a Bradley APC even. For a non-existent S.W.A.T. Team...
Sound about right ? It was on show in the middle of town.
Then , late in the second term , Obama did rescind it . But the equipment still remains.

As they used to say in the military , in the case of an enemy invasion or war breaking out the police would be for the most part worthless.

edit on 8/27/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Sounds to me as if the hated enemy of the right wing, tried to keep the domestic police from becoming the domestic military. Then the hero of freedom loving right wing is saying 'nah. lets turn that domestic police force into a fighting machine that will more readily be able to crush any rebellious uprising that may occur, left OR right.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

I wonder if the Congressional Black Caucus will raise hell this time considering the approved it the last time?

Easy to predict in the current atmosphere isn't it?

This time around they will just be arming the racist Nazi police to use even more intimidation and force against minorities.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing to lift a controversial ban on the transfer of some surplus military equipment to police departments whose battlefield-style response to rioting in a St. Louis suburb three years ago prompted a halt to the program.

Luv the way they present. There was never a 'ban'.

"A St. Louis suburb" (Ferguson demonstration Beat Down) 'prompted' a halt to the 'Program'. The tools are still in the police station, they just aren't using them. Until another Ferguson arises. Or Occupy...

Or Katrina, Sandy, Boston Bomber, Rodney King, etc.

The difference between civil and military is evaporating, does evaporate every time some state declares an emergency and calls in the Guard, anyway.

We will see the same response that we always do.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Police state will magically be acceptable to right wing conspiracy theorists...

is the hypocrisy really getting this bad?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I think this is a bad idea.

Police aren't military and military ain't police.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join