It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scenarios

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

So some stars, planets etc get to go surfing on those sweet sweet gravitational waves, and a small percentage get annihilated and sterilized.

The inner of the galaxy is not habitable in any means for fleshy life, however the power exuded with both galaxies and their sizes combined would not affect it all too much.

There are events in this galaxy that are like many events of that happening with blackholes merging, neutron starts colliding that give us an idea of the power of 2 merging blackholes and the effects of that.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

I'm not going to talk about string theory in any form.

You could conceive of any theory on any concept physics you want, until one gets backing it is just wasted time to think of "what if this works with this if this works and this might work".

It's all what ifs at the moment with no webs connected to any theory or concept.

String theory...heh.
edit on 26-8-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Not exactly...

When two galaxies collide, material swirling in the vicinity is pushed into each of the central black holes, letting out high-energy radiation and giving rise to what’s known as an ‘active galactic nucleus.’

www.dailymail.co.uk...

In some galaxies, known as "active galactic nuclei" (AGN), the nucleus (or central core) produces more radiation than the entire rest of the galaxy!

heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Yes...and?

That does not kill the galaxy, radiation and power comes in many forms.

Astrophysical jet is similar to give an idea:

en.wikipedia.org...

A supernova can burn power more then a billion suns combined.
edit on 27-8-2017 by MuonToGluon because: SP

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Given that our Galaxy exists in a void...

At the 230th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, Benjamin Hoscheit and Amy Barger (both at University of Wisconsin, Madison) presented a possible workaround. What if, they proposed, the Milky Way lives in a cosmic void? That could skew the measurements of local stars and supernovae, but it wouldn’t affect the faraway CMB.

www.skyandtelescope.com...

...actually makes the matter of moving it much easier.

What do you mean by "killing the Galaxy'? Given they collide then would there then be no such thing as either the Milky way or Andromeda Galaxy?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

You would rename the then combined galaxy.

You want to move the galaxy, but there is really no need to move a galaxy even in the event of the center being switched on/active.

I'm going to leave this one.

You're talking about moving the galaxy with a blackhole you generated, in theory for no need, without discussing everything else that would go into that without the blackhole, and how you would prevent the blackhole from absorbing our own, and the gasses from our own galaxy and everything else you would need when we could never do it in the first place.

You do have have a clue or knowledge in any of what you propose, start learning and use your own words and knowledge.
I'm going to go out and move the sun a smidge to the left with a reflecting structure built part way around the sun to act as a thruster, because the sun is in my eyes - be back in a couple months.

Edit: You do not actually have any knowledge on the topic you are talking about, you just keep posting links to random sentences that do not relate to your theory without reading the actual source itself, and you post nothing in your own words.

edit on 27-8-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Actually its just a thought experiment and you really should not let your ego get in the way of thinking otherwise.

It mostly demeans your point and says something about your demeanor, you perhaps would not like to admit and even to yourself.

Myself I am interested in debate over potential not brooding responses that relate to closed minds.

Any thoughts?

edit on 27-8-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I have no ego.

My mind is filled with everything I read, and I also gave you a theory as you requested.

You do not actually have any knowledge on the topic you are talking about, you just keep posting links to random sentences that do not relate to your theory without reading the actual source itself, and you post nothing in your own words.

And closed mind? You can move a sun that way.

If having knowledge is having an ego, then I welcome it,

Read my signature: Bringing Neutrality with every post (Sometimes) - as well as a touch of snide arrogance.

edit on 27-8-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

The first letter in the Ego Alphabet is the letter "I".

Actually and given quantum foam. A point is Wormholes already exist and so a point would be how to expand one to the point it was feasible to travel through it.

edit on 27-8-2017 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

#milkywaylivesmatter

You just want the local group to intermingle.

What do you know about those other galaxies???

edit on 27-8-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   

You are aware it wont be a quick process right? The 2 galaxies fully merging will take an estimated 2 billion years.

*Then again, you seem really fixated on stopping it, so I say we build a really really big fan, and blow it away.
edit on 27-8-2017 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
a reply to: lordcomac

See if you think that it is impossible for mankind to exist for billions of years where there knowledge of history dates back to when humans first walked upon Earth?

What exact position are you taking that explains otherwise?

I personally don't think Mankind will exist in billions of years...

...Heck, I think our civilization will most likely be gone in less than 1 million years, and any human or human-like species will be gone in less than 100 million or even 10 Milliion years.

Consider that just a short 75 million years ago, the things that eventually humans were like mice and shrews. And also consider the any multi-cell life of any kind with Eukaryrotic (complex) cells didn't exist on Earth until about 800 million years ago. Just 1 Billion years ago on Earth (less than 25% of the history of Earth and less than 30% of the total history of life on Earth), life was limited to mostly single-celled organism, or simple-celled multicellular organisms.

So, to answer you question:

1. I don't think we will be around to figure out how to do it

2. How don't think we will be around to NEED to do it.

3. Actually, most stars and star systems might be generally unaffected by the merging galaxies. The merge will happen slowly enough, and the space between stars is large enough, that the vast majority stars that are around during the merge will be unaffected.

...which leads to:

4. Even if we are still around in 1 to 5 billion years, and we have the technology to move galaxies, there might not be any need to do so, because the merge may not have a terrible adverse effect on the two merging galaxies.

In fact, the energy that will be injected into to overall energy of the galaxies will help jump-start new star formation.

That is to say, the merging of the Milky way galaxy with the Andromeda galaxy will be rejuvenating for both galaxies, making them younger again.

edit on 27/8/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

UMMMMM it is spelled Scenarios.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

You know its been really quite in this forum lately so where have you guys been.

If you mean humans as we look like now I agree that would probably not be the case but in relation to origins yes they would be human. Its not that I do not agree that both galaxies in general could be unscathed by the effects of such an event. What this more about is considering the possibility of accomplishing such a feat. So its more like climbing Everest
because its a challenge.

To Norhoc: UMMMMMMM I know that.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Moving the galaxy would require producing a gravitational field at a location away from the Milkyway that would be strong enough to pull the galaxy away without also pulling Andromeda in exactly the same path. This is, even as a thought experiment really quite problematic.
Gravity is not selective like that, and if we could produce something to gravitationally attract the Milky-way off somewhere else, then why wouldn't we just travel away from the Milky-way and go somewhere else? What would be the point in saving it?

Also another point, Wormholes have never been proven to exist, there existence requires negative energy density which thus far has never been observed.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Is the collision a result of the gravitational pull of the Great Attractor in the Laniakea Supercluster?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

Moving the galaxy would require producing a gravitational field at a location away from the Milkyway that would be strong enough to pull the galaxy away without also pulling Andromeda in exactly the same path. This is, even as a thought experiment really quite problematic.

I agree. Which is why I brought the question to this forum as it seemed an interesting exercise.

Lets for the sake of this issue of discussion lets go ahead and take the matter of wormholes out of this discussion.

I agree, somewhere we would need to create a gravitational field that would allow MW to achieve escape velocity form not only A but also from the Local Group.

The idea would be to change the Milky Ways course.

Any thoughts?

edit on 28-8-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Mankind as we know it will not resemble well Mankind in billions of years. Look at life millions (not billions) of years back. Most of that (with minor exceptions) bears little resemblance to life today.

As for your question. WHY would we wish to avoid it? To begin with, Earth will be done and dusted by that time, the Sun having expanded and roasted the third rock from it

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Noinden

It is in reality impossible to "change the course of the Milky Way Galaxy", today. So I considered it a thought experiment that is devoid of such issues.

In other words we can talk about this without......

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I thought it would be fun.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join