It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theater Stops Showing ‘Gone With the Wind,’ Ran For Decades-Now Deemed ‘insensitive’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Gone With The Wind is gone. Feed back from patrons doomed this horribly offensive movie.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — “Gone With the Wind” will be gone from The Orpheum’s summer movie series, the theater’s board said Friday.

The Orpheum Theatre Group decided not to include the 1939 movie about a plantation in the Civil War-era South in its 2018 Summer Movie Series after feedback from patrons following the last screening Aug. 11.
wreg.com...

The movie has been a mainstay for decades, but the film is now deemed too insensitive.

As an organization whose stated mission is to ‘entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves’, the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population,” the theater’s operators said in a statement.

Memphis’ population is about 64 percent African-American.

The historic theater in Downtown Memphis has shown the movie for decades, but this year’s event “generated numerous comments,” leading to the decision.

I got to tell ya, gone with the wind is tame compared to the hero gun play and derogatory terms to anyone and anyone that our friends in Hollywood is making today. Plus sex, sex, sex and out of control drug use. I have no problems with the movies, just an odd place to draw a line in the sand, what movies are you going to show?

edit on 26-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Proves racism isn't gone with the wind in that town.

The black folks get too uppity if they show the truth.

Edit: Wait...

The historic theater in Downtown Memphis has shown the movie for decades, but this year’s event “generated numerous comments,” leading to the decision.

It says 'too many complaints'.,. Who is doing the complaining?
edit on 26-8-2017 by intrptr because: Edit:

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
...what movies are you going to show?

How about Blazing Saddles?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't show the movie because it sucks, not because its offensive.

I'm surprised that feminists aren't protesting the movie.
The main character gets raped "by today's standards".

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Where da white women at?

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
They'll substitute some Quentin Tarantino film like Django Unchained.
Nice family film, take the kids!

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: seasonal
...what movies are you going to show?

How about Blazing Saddles?

Form a land before time when people could still laugh at racism...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well frankly, I don't give a Damn what they think !!

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I knew that was coming, we gonn'a burn film archives now ?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
I knew that was coming, we gonn'a burn film archives now ?

They will get edited and censored and "re-made".

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
All's I can say is "We lived in a time of Splendor" ...... past-tense The future holds the real 1984 and Freejack.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Wow.

So Gone With The Wind is now gone with the wind?

I can't imagine how they would react to a screening of Birth Of A Nation (1910).

This is what fosters a ripe black market. Just like sex & drugs, historic cinema will be another commodity peddled on the corner to satisfy someone's insatiable lust for Civil War period films.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone realise these films are educational for black people too? As in younger generations will have nothing to relate great grandad's stories to if all these "offensive" things are removed and history re-written.

PS...if they ban all things "slave" or "plantation" etc how are future generations going to blame complain & make demands if they've never seen it or heard of it?.../sarc
edit on 26-8-2017 by PhyllidaDavenport because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
"White Men Can't Jump" - Racist?

I think it is.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
First African American to win an academy award was from Gone With the Wind. Hattie McDaniel who played the role of 'Mammy' won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. It was a start. Her performance was amazing.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well if anyone wants to see it there's always dvd.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

It's official, America is experiencing it's own Cultural Revolution where historical objects are deemed 'offensive' and must be destroyed.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Doesn't anyone realise these films are educational for black people too? As in younger generations will have nothing to relate great grandad's stories to if all these "offensive" things are removed and history re-written.

PS...if they ban all things "slave" or "plantation" etc how are future generations going to blame complain & make demands if they've never seen it or heard of it?.../sarc

You make an excellent point there. Just as some try to deny the The Nazi Holocaust...
Blacks will be wiped away as surely as everyone else.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
well, this snowball keeps on rolling, gretting bigger as it goes.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Gone With the Wind is also a part of movie history, not just cultural history.

It is rated #4 by The American Film Institution (AFI) out of 100 of America's Greatest Movies of All Time.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join