It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theater Stops Showing ‘Gone With the Wind,’ Ran For Decades-Now Deemed ‘insensitive’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Gone With the Wind romanticized the era while Django shone a spotlight on it.

Never saw Django, ever see RagTime?

GWTW had romance and treachery, Scarlet was a harlot in sheeps clothing...
(Gently backs away)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

From their wed site. Cult movies-I can think of some pretty "edgy" cult movies.

SUMMER MOVIE SERIES

Hot nights call for cool movies. Revisit classic films and cult favorites with us during our annual Summer Movie Series.

Yelp has no complaints about GWTW. But they did show Pretty in pink.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

(Gently backs away)

This is a huge gripe with me. Never apologize for having an unpopular opinion, especially when it's the truth.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: seasonal
...what movies are you going to show?

How about Blazing Saddles?

Form a land before time when people could still laugh at racism...

WILLY WONKA? lolol

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I wonder what will happen with "The Producers".

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

No. I thought my "innuenedo" was "clear".

It still isn''t.

But I'm unedumakated, poor and only human.

I think you got me wrong. I think some people complained because the south doesn't like to be reminded of their past, and you said you were with me on that?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lurker1

(Gently backs away)

This is a huge gripe with me. Never apologize for having an unpopular opinion, especially when it's the truth.

I was being polite, not apologetic. Theres a difference between backing away and turning and walking away...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Hattie was indeed nominated and won...the hotel where the oscars were held had a "no blacks allowed" policy but they let her in....she was also the first black woman to sing on the radio in the usa...she made over 300 films but is only credited with about 80. Not only did she sing but was a song writer and comediennne as well!

Loew's Grand Theater on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia was selected by the studio as the site for the premiere of Gone with the Wind, on Friday, December 15, 1939. Studio head David Selznick asked that McDaniel be permitted to attend, but MGM advised him not to, because of Georgia's segregation laws. Clark Gable threatened to boycott the Atlanta premiere unless McDaniel were allowed to attend, but McDaniel convinced him to attend anyway.[15]

she was able to attend the Hollywood premier....she almost didn't get to attend the oscars, but,the producers had to beg the Ambassador Hotel to let Hattie in...they caved but she had to sit at a table in the back of the room...she won best supporting actress and gave a wonderful speech!

originally posted by: queenofswords
First African American to win an academy award was from Gone With the Wind. Hattie McDaniel who played the role of 'Mammy' won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. It was a start. Her performance was amazing.

edit on 26-8-2017 by research100 because: dang spelling

edit on 26-8-2017 by research100 because: changed 300 to 300 added one too many zeros in original post!

edit on 26-8-2017 by research100 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

From their wed site. Cult movies-I can think of some pretty "edgy" cult movies.

SUMMER MOVIE SERIES

Hot nights call for cool movies. Revisit classic films and cult favorites with us during our annual Summer Movie Series.

Yelp has no complaints about GWTW. But they did show Pretty in pink.

Gone with the Wind is mild...I doubt they'd show Do The Right Thing, Crash, or Malcom X, though.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

No. I thought my "innuenedo" was "clear".

It still isn''t.

But I'm unedumakated, poor and only human.

I think you got me wrong. I think some people complained because the south doesn't like to be reminded of their past, and you said you were with me on that?

LOL. Sorry. To us people wearing tinfoil hats, there are certain people who would do things like this to push an agenda or to drive the division. I wouldn't put it past the media or the government to do something like this. The media of course thrives on it. Somehow I doubt there are that many people in that city would actually have any problem with the movie.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

As long as they don't ban 'Django', I honestly don't care.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
I knew that was coming, we gonn'a burn film archives now ?

All white actors/actresses will be replaced by people of color in order to get rid of systemic racism in the movie industry.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Somehow I doubt there are that many people in that city would actually have any problem with the movie

In Memphis?

The only people that would call that insensitive are the younger generation. The movie discriminates against the South.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Somehow I doubt there are that many people in that city would actually have any problem with the movie

In Memphis?

The only people that would call that insensitive are the younger generation. The movie discriminates against the South.

Many movies discriminate against the South and black people.

edit on 8/26/2017 by Deaf Alien because: My finger typed faster than I could think.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Wrong, they would need white actors to play slaves.

That would be a box office smasher.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

I love the movie. I love the book more. The movie however uses language that was acceptable in the 1930s terms like "Simple minded darkies" in reference to blacks. Or the early references to the KKK after Scarlet is accosted while driving at night by herself.
It was filmed at the height of the Jim crow era and depicts African Americans as stupid and shiftless and violent.
I don't like the stereotypes portrayed in the movie. It is offensive. There wasn't one African American role that depicted a person of intellect, or ambition or leadership. There was plenty of devotion to the whites and certainly affection and loyalty and even protection. As long as they kept their place.
I know it portrays history but it also reflects the history of the times during which it was produced.
Early Hollywood portrayals of people of color put them in menial roles with menial jobs if they felt a need to acknowledge their existence in society at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Of course it is a snap shot of a by gone era. Movies are just like photos, they are set literally in stone.

And Fatal Attraction was about a psycho women who ends up dead in the end. This also forwards a number of stereo types.

Disney shows dogs (goofy) as being stupid, talk in broken phrases and he can be violent with no thought about consequences of his actions.

Don't get me started on Office Space.

edit on 26-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
People don't like the movie?

People into their feelings?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Since it takes place entirely in the south with southern hero's and southern characters in southern cities who had husbands who died for the south and shows the ladies nursing the southern soldiers and well all that how can you say it discriminates against the south?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join