It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military vessel collides with merchant ship

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

As of the end of FY16 there were 33 BMD capable ships, with 49 planned by 2021. That doesn't include the Japanese owned ships. The temporary loss of two, keeping in mind that the McCain can still fire missiles, isn't going to significantly degrade the system.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Singapore and Malaysia are arguing over who is leading the search for the missing. Both claim that the collision occurred in their territorial waters.

A Malaysian patrol vessel found a body this afternoon local time, approximately 8 miles from the impact site.

Singapore has deployed a C-130 and Fokker 50 maritime surveillance plane to assist, and Australia has offered to send at least one aircraft to assist.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

"Some remains" of 10 missing US sailors have been found after the collision between the US destroyer John S. McCain and an oil tanker near Singapore, US Navy Adm. Scott Swift said Tuesday.

Navy and Marine Corps divers found the remains in the sealed compartments aboard the McCain, said Swift, commander of the Pacific Fleet.

The Royal Malaysian Navy has located one body at sea, and officials are working to determine if it is one of the missing sailors, he said. Divers have also located others.

Link

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
A youtube of the Alnic MC track from VesselFinder

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The Navy announced plans to remove Vice Admiral Joseph Aucoin from command of Seventh Fleet. The removal comes under the Navy tradition of absolute accountability and is not a finding of responsibility for the accidents.

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Because of the accidents, Seventh Fleet is currently down three destroyers and a cruiser. USS Milius was scheduled to deploy to Japan this summer, but was delayed due to Maintenance and Modernization work. She's being upgraded to Aegis 9, and the BMD system. She'll go forward once they complete testing and workups. Ships from the West Coast and Hawaii will deploy to help Seventh Fleet as necessary. There are over 200 ships in the Pacific Fleet.

The string of accidents involving 7th Fleet ships and the delayed deployment of the destroyer USS Milius to Japan has left 7th Fleet short three destroyers and a cruiser. Despite the loss of those vessels, Swift insisted the fleet is still capable of responding to threats in the Pacific.

“We have a deep bench,” he said. “I’ve got 140,000 sailors that report for duty in the Pacific Fleet every day. I have over 200 ships assigned to me; 60 percent of the United States Navy is assigned to the Pacific Fleet. I’m highly confident we can respond to any guidance or direction that may come to me from the president or the secretary of defense.”

The Navy has enough assets to make up for the out-of-commission ships, Adm. Harry Harris, head of U.S. Pacific Command, told reporters gathered Tuesday at Osan Air Base, South Korea.

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Whatever the cause, this nonsense really needs to come to an end.

"Our people are dying, Senator." -- Queen Amidala

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The Search and Rescue effort has ended. Divers are still looking for remains on the ship, but they're no longer looking for survivors.

americanmilitarynews.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Some insights from Sean Gallagher at Ars Technica:

With the USS McCain collision, even Navy tech can’t overcome human shortcomings

Although he mentions a steering casualty aboard the John S. McCain, I think he's on to something when he points to broader problems. Anyone who's served in the U.S. Navy within the past half-century has probably seen it, too.

It's important to ensure the highest standards of performance from naval personnel, but the high attrition and low morale resulting from established "zero defects" and "sleep is for the weak" command philosophies don't necessarily leave the Navy with the best that crews can be.

Accidents happen, but if the Navy doesn't learn the real lessons underlying them, they'll only happen that much more.

This is a problem that starts at the top, and that's where the solutions need to come from.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Divers have recovered the bodies of all 10 missing sailors.

www.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
According to the preliminary report, McCain suffered a major engineering failure with primary steering, as well as an undisclosed issue with the backup system. They haven't said much more than that though.
edit on 9/1/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the updates.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Just saw your post on this now.Will say a prayer for these brave men and their family's tonight.I heard the fleet commander was let go of his duties. Do you think that was justified.Was curious of your opinion on this issue.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ericendtimes

Yes, it was. While pressure comes from higher down to him, at some point he could have said they needed time to slow the pace and get training or maintenance done. They might not have granted it, but he should have passed it up the chain.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

For whatever reason those kids, and they're all probably younger than I, so they're kids, joined the Navy, whether the education benefits, or adventure, or a pleasant combination of the two--it surely wasn't for this.

Several someones need to hang, and hopefully that particular process has begun.

Rest in Peace, brave ones.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Rear Admiral Charles Williams, commander Task Force 70/Carrier Strike Group 5, and Capt. Jeffery Bennet, commodore Destroyer Squadron 5 have been relieved of command. CTF 70 and CSG 5 oversee forward deployed forces in the Pacific, and Destroyer Squadron 5 includes both Fitzgerald and McCain.

Rear Admiral Marc Dalton, from TF 7, will take over CTF 70, and Capt. Jonathon Duffy, deputy commander DESRON 15 will take their places. In addition to the firings, Vice Admiral Thomas Rowden, commander Naval Surface Forces has requested to retire two months early.

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Admiral Scott Swift, Commander Pacific Fleet just announced that he has submitted his retirement papers. According to his official statement, he was notified privately that he would not be nominated as the next Commander Pacific Command, which is the normal next step after CINCPACFLT.

www.wearethemighty.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Seems, maybe, that some heads are rolling. Color me somewhat surprised.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Rolling, indeed...

Navy filing homicide charges against commanders in 2 deadly ship collisions

It seems Admiral Caldwell, the investigating officer, is not amused.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic

And yet, everyone above them, that created the environment that allowed this to happen, slides into the sunset with full retirement. I'm glad as hell to see they're taking this seriously, and the captains deserve serious punishment, don't get me wrong, but until the people that create these environments are nailed to the wall, absolutely nothing will change.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join