It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military vessel collides with merchant ship

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

in the article it said some lieutenants and a petty officer are also being charged.

the commanding officer sure but the petty officer? I remember listening to the recordings from the McCain and the guy steering the ship kept warning the commanding officer and sounded worried and alarmed while the commanding officer clearly heard his cause of concern, disregarded it and commanded him to go ahead anyways. I sure hope that poor guy who was following orders doesn't get charged too. that sounds like they're passing the buck down not up to who is responsible for the mess to begin with.
edit on 16-1-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

No doubt, it starts at the top, and the flag officers responsible, though relived of command, are unlikely to face criminal charges.

Nonetheless, the message is clear that whatever the deficiencies of the top brass may be, they will not abide captains culpable for the needless deaths of sailors in their care.

That responsibility always belongs to captains, first and foremost, ever and anon, and every captain had better damn well remember that.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Majic

The commanders should be held responsible. All of the commanders, regardless of rank or affiliation. It disgusts me to no end that the higher you are, the less chance of punishment there is. I'd be willing to bet that the commanders end up with NJP, this stretching out until they both have their 20 in, and them being allowed to retire "for the good of the service".

Meanwhile, the ones below them will receive harsher and harsher penalties based on their rank, with the lowest of them possibly seeing jail time and dishonorable discharges. After all, they can't have a graduate of the Naval Academy be seen to get jail time and besmirch the honor of the school.

Yes, this sends the message that captains will be held accountable, which should be sent, but it also sends the message, again, that once you reach flag rank you can get away with murder and keep your pension and retirement.

edit on 1/16/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/16/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: roadgravel

Wrong link, other than that ..WTF is going on in the Navy?

What I suspect is that the navigation equipment and or supporting hardware and software has something in that enables a third party to make things like this happen.

I reckon someone is giving someone else a message that says: 'see, you are not invinciable, you have have more guns and bombs that we do but look at what we can do without guns and bombs.

I have no evidence of this of course. I just put the fact that planes can be remotely hijacked and flown into the ground. Remember GermanWings and MA370, I think it was that disappeared on its way to Beijing.

I once watached a vid in which the head of DARPA said that they have the techology to take over a motor vehicle and crash it.

3 times is little beyond mere coindicdence.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Except that Germanwings was shown to be the copilot and no one knows what happened to MH370.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Except that Germanwings was shown to be the copilot and no one knows what happened to MH370.

What?

It was never proven to be the pilot, that was merely a claim for which there were no substantiating evidence, only further claims.

Cockpit cabin doors have a lock on them, I have seen them. As someone said at the time, the crew would known the code because they go in and out of the cockpit regularly. All flight deck personnel know the key combination.

An airliner captain later said the noise levels in the cock pit for that plane were very high and the crew chose to wear hearing protection on many occasions so it would have been impossible to hear the 'suicidal' pilot suicidal talk.

How can anyone prove the state of mind of person at the controls or is it a case of, as what occurs many times, that only people who can do that are powerful figures within the govt?

The fact that it had two fighter jets sitting off its tail on either side implies nothing a?

The two fighter jets could not have been there just because they would not have been able to scramble from base and be there just before it crashed if their presence was due to learning such knowledge alone???

How is it possible that people can not see that the claim the pilot was suicidal was developed so enough naive people will believe it whenever the perps want them to when they pull another stunt like that ?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Ok, sure. It was hacked and flown into the ground. Whatever you say.
edit on 1/18/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Ok, sure. It was hacked and flown into the ground. Whatever you say.

thats not right, thats just chickening out. If you came to your viewws as a result of the search for the truth then that is the truth for you.

I merely put forward a different view and posed some questions to consider that is all

Where in my reply did insist that what I was saying is some kind of indiputable fact.

Either your goal is to learn or your goal is to argue.

Suggest you make your mind up on this whenever you reply in the forum. And also please make it obvious that what you are saying is either your opinion or whether your putting it accros as an established proven fact, as a curtesy to other readers so they know where you are coming from.

thanks

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   

No, it's accepting that nothing I can say still change anything. You have obviously already made up your mind and aren't going to believe anything official, so there's no point in arguing it.

I don't need to you condescend to me and explain how things work here, thanks. I've been here a day or two and figured it out by myself, and know when to pick my battles and when it's not worth it without you explaining it to me.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravelhow dogg

posted on May, 25 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Cmdr Alfredo Sanchez plead guilty to dereliction of duty. As part of the plea, the negligent homicide and hazarding a vessel charges were withdrawn. He previously received a letter of reprimand, and forfeited $4,498 as part of a non-judicial punishment. As a result of the plea, he forfeited $6,000 and was awarded a letter of reprimand. Sanchez gave an emotional statement to the court, and his wife said that he still yells orders in his sleep, and "will never get over it".

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:36 AM
link   

10,000 dollars. Oh, and a letter of reprimand. So that's the value placed on the lives of those sailors, eh?

Kinda makes me glad my sisters got out. I'm a bit disgusted by this, as you may have noticed...

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

$1,000 a sailor. And technically it's TWO letters of reprimand. Yeah, I'm right there with you.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Two? Well, that's different.

I'm curious to see if he gets to retire with rank and benefits intact... Very curious, indeed.

Wanna drain a swamp, Mr. Trump? I got one for ya. The DoD/Pentagon. Start there.

posted on May, 26 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

It's up to SecNav if he's reduced or not. We'll find out.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join