It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US military vessel collides with merchant ship

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I have been wondering if the missing men will be a replay of the last collision and they will be found in the damaged areas.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I don't know. One article pointed out that they would have been up and moving around and heading to breakfast at the time. They shouldn't have all been asleep like the Fitzgerald.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: roadgravel

I don't know. One article pointed out that they would have been up and moving around and heading to breakfast at the time. They shouldn't have all been asleep like the Fitzgerald.

You keep up on this stuff.. I saw a news blurb noting this was the 4th incident. I am only aware of 2 - this one and the one from a few weeks ago. Did we have more ships hit shipping somewhere else?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

There was a fairly minor collision off Korea with a fishing boat in May, and the Antietam ran aground in a Japanese harbor in January.
edit on 8/21/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

a reply to: Xcathdra

There was a fairly minor collision off Korea with a fishing boat in May, and the Antietam ran aground in a Japanese harbor in January.

Ah.. didnt know. thanks

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Either that or it’s the Navy trying to manoeuvre around container ships whilst trying to be invisible. Going by the damage being so central on the side, I can only guess that one of the two ships was cutting across the lane. Something’s definitely fishy about this, it doesn’t just keep on happening unless something is seriously wrong and one wouldn’t expect so many Naval commanders to be as incompetent as to crash their pride and joy. The fact that the US Navy have curtailed these operations as a result is a sure sign that something’s going on.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Have all the people missing in these accidents been found?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: VigiliaProcuratio

It sounds like they broke this time.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

The seven missing on the Fitzgerald were found in the berthing compartment.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
All Pacific Fleet ships will undergo a 24 hour stand down, and fleet commanders will conduct a full safety review for all ships and commanders.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
How the hull do you LOSE TEN sailers?
IF a ship hit them it would not take long to get the bodies back.
or just some of them.

this sounds like some thing out of Star Gate (TV show)
a attack by aliens and they cover it up.
Four ships this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is an interesting turn.

Loran stations are making a comeback as a backup for GPS.

Radio navigation set to make global return as GPS backup

GPS killed the radio nav in 2010, but a high-def version is set to return.

Loran-C, the hyperbolic low-frequency radio navigation system. Using a global network of terrestrial radio beacons, Loran-C gave navigators aboard ships and aircraft the ability to get a fix on their location within a few hundred feet by using the difference in the timing of two or more beacon signals.

An evolution of World War II technology (LORAN was an acronym for long-range navigation), Loran-C was considered obsolete by many once GPS was widely available. In 2010, after the US Coast Guard declared that it was no longer required, the US and Canada shut down their Loran-C beacons. Between 2010 and 2015, nearly everyone else shut down their radio beacons, too. The trial of an enhanced Loran service called eLoran that was accurate within 20 meters (65 feet) also wrapped up during this time.
The administrations of both George W. Bush and Barack Obama pushed for a national eLoran system, but their efforts were never funded by Congress. However, the version of the Department of Homeland Security funding bill for 2018 just passed by the House of Representatives in July includes language calling for DHS to fund the construction and maintenance of a new eLoran system "as a complement to, and as a backup for" the GPS system.

Link

edit on 8/21/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

All Pacific Fleet ships will undergo a 24 hour stand down

This sends tingles down my tinhat.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: buddha

Because you don't go straight into flooded areas. You get the ship into port, get the situation stabilized, and THEN search the flooded compartments. You use divers if necessary.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

All Pacific Fleet ships will undergo a 24 hour stand down, and fleet commanders will conduct a full safety review for all ships and commanders.

I hope the tubby Tyrant doesn't try to take advantage of the stand down.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Does this point do the likelihood that the collisions have been the result of mechanical problems, and not human error?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

No. Fitzgerald has already been all but ruled human error. I haven't heard on the others, but Antietam will almost certainly be human error.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Similar to the Marine Aviation stand down, the fleet stand down will be done on a rotational basis, at the discretion of the command. They're also going to take a close look at Seventh Fleet training and safety standards.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The remains of several crew members have been found in a flooded compartment. Divers are still trying to get into others.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Apparently both the McCain and the Fitzgerald are Ballistic Missile Defence capable ships.

nationalinterest.org...

I'm still not sold on this being a coincidence, though the linked article postulates exhaustion and lack of training, which I suppose is a good possibility given the US Navy's well publicized fiscal and resource issues.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join