It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letter from a Friend in the Artic

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I received this email today... I'll leave it anonymous for the obvious reasons. it was scary and sad....

After spending the day yesterday (as I do most days) studying climate science, all else seems a walk in the park. As the arctic melts, there are literally hundreds of thousands of tons of methane due to be released. It will cause far more warming than all of the carbon we have put into the atmosphere since the industrial revolution in the 1700s--and the warming from methane is fast. Months, not years. And the arctic is melting. It was 50 degrees above normal on some days this past winter. And last month, July 2017, is now tied for the hottest month ever recorded in history. We are cooked, my darling, girl. Let everyone you love know that you love them. xxx

Two years ago, we had a huge methane release over several months and learned somethings about methane in the process.

That’s a lot of gas to keep track of. And while natural gas might be considered a clean fuel — it releases a little more than half as much carbon dioxide when burned as coal does — when it leaks, it’s a different story. Methane, the compound that makes up 80 percent of natural gas, is a potent greenhouse gas. Over a 20-year period, it traps about 86 times as much heat as carbon dioxide does. So while the Porter Ranch residents are worrying about long-term, and largely unknown, health effects from exposure to natural gas, the rest of the world is worried about a different long-term problem: We just watched SoCalGas spew the equivalent emissions of two coal-fired power plants for an entire year — in just 114 days. That’s roughly 2 percent of the entire state’s annual emissions and represents the largest methane leak in U.S. history.

thinkprogress.org...

(BTW the facility has just been relicensed to reopen)

This Methane leak is a pittance compared to what will be released by Arctic melting.

Talk it as you will - it's happening NOW in this fellow's backyard - consider it a lie whatever makes you happy - but for your children - keep them close and good luck.
edit on 16-8-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Why is there so much methane in the arctic ice?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sounds like finding that methane pocket and lighting it on fire would be more useful than complaining about it.

I suppose the other option is to sit around and die with a smug look ok your face, knowing you called it.

Can't wait for the coming years.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
As an armchair, know-nothing, I've always been of the belief that it is methane and not CO2 that would be the straw that really tips the scales with world-wide climate shift. When the earth gives up its stores it could very well be catastrophic. But I, as an individual, have zero control over any of it and choose not to even think twice or worry. I live my quiet life, love people and put my head down and work. What will be will be.

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
After spending all day yesterday studying climate science......

Who writes like that? Lol

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Al Gore
Al Gore
Al Gore

Holy # he actually showed up.........

Hawaiian tropics girls
Hawaiian tropics girls
Hawaiian tropics girls

OHHH my god..........im a believer.

Ladies wait, don't go with al in his private jet. Damn it......

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Right. It seems a bit questionable, who knows it could be true but........

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Why is there so much methane in the arctic ice?

It's largely released from thawed vegetation over thousands of years.

from Wikipedia

Arctic methane release is the release of methane from seas and soils in permafrost regions of the Arctic. While a long-term natural process, it is exacerbated by global warming. This results in a positive feedback effect, as methane is itself a powerful greenhouse gas.

The Arctic region is one of the many natural sources of the greenhouse gas methane.[1] Global warming accelerates its release, due to both release of methane from existing stores, and from methanogenesis in rotting biomass.[2] Large quantities of methane are stored in the Arctic in natural gas deposits, permafrost, and as undersea clathrates. Permafrost and clathrates degrade on warming, thus large releases of methane from these sources may arise as a result of global warming.[3][4] Other sources of methane include submarine taliks, river transport, ice complex retreat, submarine permafrost and decaying gas hydrate deposits.[5]

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

People who do stuff other then making fund of people.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: nowuknow

Right. It seems a bit questionable, who knows it could be true but........

Here is a simple google search on the subject....

www.google.com... e=UTF-8

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
I received this email today... I'll leave it anonymous for the obvious reasons. it was scary and sad....

After spending the day yesterday (as I do most days) studying climate science, all else seems a walk in the park. As the arctic melts, there are literally hundreds of thousands of tons of methane due to be released. It will cause far more warming than all of the carbon we have put into the atmosphere since the industrial revolution in the 1700s--and the warming from methane is fast. Months, not years. And the arctic is melting. It was 50 degrees above normal on some days this past winter. And last month, July 2017, is now tied for the hottest month ever recorded in history. We are cooked, my darling, girl. Let everyone you love know that you love them. xxx

Two years ago, we had a huge methane release over several months and learned somethings about methane in the process.

That’s a lot of gas to keep track of. And while natural gas might be considered a clean fuel — it releases a little more than half as much carbon dioxide when burned as coal does — when it leaks, it’s a different story. Methane, the compound that makes up 80 percent of natural gas, is a potent greenhouse gas. Over a 20-year period, it traps about 86 times as much heat as carbon dioxide does. So while the Porter Ranch residents are worrying about long-term, and largely unknown, health effects from exposure to natural gas, the rest of the world is worried about a different long-term problem: We just watched SoCalGas spew the equivalent emissions of two coal-fired power plants for an entire year — in just 114 days. That’s roughly 2 percent of the entire state’s annual emissions and represents the largest methane leak in U.S. history.

thinkprogress.org...

(BTW the facility has just been relicensed to reopen)

This Methane leak is a pittance compared to what will be released by Arctic melting.

Talk it as you will - it's happening NOW in this fellow's backyard - consider it a lie whatever makes you happy - but for your children - keep them close and good luck.

Oh crap, after 20 plus years of CO2 being the issue, now it's methane?
Let's look to change everything in our new crusade. . .
It's what makes the science work?

ETA: I authored a thread over 4 years ago, in regards to climate science
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I believe I have brought up methane more than once in regards to climate topics.
I suggest it is up to the reader to do their own research. And certainly not rely on one article (or email), to shape their own opinion.

edit on 16-8-2017 by randomtangentsrme because: See above

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

someone who spends the whole day studying climate science . sounds like a really scary day this studying climate science stuff. I wonder if there is like danger pay involved . Maybe its a annoyance pay that gets them to do it ...you know ,study climate science ...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

If i remember correctly (from geosciences classes) .. the carbon has been steadily compacted and frozen for thousands of years..as the soils warm, the carbon deposits begin to decompose..creating massive methane pockets that have been trapped for the most part until about 10 years ago. I think they saw some small methane seeps before then but nothing that alarmed scientists greatly until they started seeing massive releases that only appear to be getting more unstable. If a sudden release..well, you get the picture.

ETA: Fyrebyrd beat me to it ;-)
edit on 16-8-2017 by Starcrossd because: corrected timeframe

+10 more 
posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yes it is getting warmer.

Has been for the last 12,000 years.

It is a cycle that our world is subject to.

It will get hotter and then it will get a lot colder.

Man made global warming is just a stupid money making machine.

The ice, she a coming!

P

ETA: CO2 follows a rise in temperature, it does not cause it. Methane is very different.
edit on 16/8/2017 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Thanks, I'll check it out. Take care - sorry if I offended you.
edit on 16-8-2017 by nowuknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Well, at least we can say absolutely unequivocally that it was, for the most part, The Russians.

This methane release is inevitable, unless of course the climate suddenly and inexplicably stops fluctuating.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You what your saying. I mean REALLY telling us.

Someday, sooner or later.

Is that.

Winter is Coming.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Here is a simple google search on the subject
Google uses the Al Gore filter for the running narrative . He did after all invent the internet ....just saying

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
And the world's climate keeps going round.....
The Vikings didnt call it Greenland for nothing
And I have gotten a tan not far from the Artic circle @ 30 degrees F
Gee, imagine that

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join