It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 and F-35 to get AI

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Senior Air Force officials announced in July that the F-22 and F-35 will get AI upgrades to complete many of their missions. These will include commanding Loyal Wingman, and ISR missions.

The F-35 already has a degree of AI in the ALIS system. It is designed to make assessments, work checklists, and make decisions without human intervention. The AFRL is making rapid strides in improving AI from the early ALIS iterations.

scout.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
With all the electrical computer systems being installed on newer and even aging aircraft. Does the pilot still have a option of going to analog in case of a failure? Can the f-22 or f-35 fly without these syatems? The reason I ask is due to enemy aircraft and the electronic counter measures they may have or get in the future.a reply to: Zaphod58

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

The ramifications are almost endless.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Kinda reminds me of the movie Stealth...Awesome soundtrack btwa reply to: nwtrucker

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Yes. The pilot is still in full control. The AI is going to reduce their workload. Right now, the F-35 pulls in so much information that the pilot is almost overwhelmed. The AI will prioritize based on the mission. For Loyal Wingman, the pilot will select the target, the AI will decide which aircraft are best to attack, what weapons to use, etc. The pilot is still controlling everything, he's just able to concentrate on flying and fighting his aircraft instead of doing 10 other things at the same time.
edit on 8/15/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Ohh got ya. Well good to know AI isn't controlling a beastly fighting machine. Would be a scary thought in my book. Now does the pilot have full control over what target is picked in the end or can the AI overrule that option?a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Also I know that the f-35 can help other craft choose a target and the other craft launch a missle or other munitions to the target. Does the f-35 pilot have total control over that target or is that a paired perspective on choosing the target? Would hate to see the lesser craft get hacked and start choosing feiendly and the f-25 pilot haveing zero control.a reply to: Allaroundyou

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The pilot will select the target, but the AI selects the tactics and everything else. It won't be able to select another target, but can break off an attack and rethink tactics if it proves to be tougher than expected.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Anybody else think that this is a slippery slope?

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

The F-35 only sends the data to the other craft. The pilot of the other fighter selects the target, weapon, and fires it. The missile can use the datalink from gee first, but they're not turning our aircraft into robots.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well thank you good person for clearing that up. Sorry about all the questions. I just have alot of questions about this bird. Most of which can't be explained with out security clearence. So I shall wait till Wings get put back on tv with all the goodies. a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

If you don't ask, you don't learn. There's so much conflicting information about the F-35, the only way to sort it out is asking lots of questions.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Maybe people will finally start to learn what the F35 is capable instead of hating on it all the time now.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Didn't you see the memo? Anything positive about the F-35 is obviously propaganda released by the Pentagon and Lockheed. Heh.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Does that mean you're on their payroll Haha

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

If so they owe me a LOT of back pay. And I charge interest.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Maybe they'll write the debt off and offer you a ride in one...

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well call me sceptic. Lets believe for a moment all this talk about reduced workloads and near full automation is actually a thing. Fine.
There is still the very real danger of overwhelming the pilot, just in a different way. In simple terms, with legacy aircraft the pilot needed to ‚work‘ the jet and had little time left to pay attention to what else was going on in the AO. You have your mission, stick to it, the end.
Today, with 5th Gen and all, the aircraft flys itself. And it gives you all this awesome information on just about everything within 1000 miles. And with the equally awesome jet you ride in you can actually be and do just about anything.
But at what point is the sheer magnitude of battlespace information and tactical possibilities to much for a human to handle, no matter how much software you throw at it?
At what point will the pilot simple be lost in a overflow of information?
Its not that all this isnt a great capability to have, but throwing all this stuff on the lone guy or gal outthere flying high in the skies over bandit country is the wrong way to approach this IMO.
No matter how much software, automation and workflow reduction you try to use to make this work, the cockpikt will still be manned by a scared pilot high on adrenaline pushing the boundaries of human efficiency at Mach .9 .
The obvious solution for this potential issue is larger platforms and crews. All this networking stuff is awesome (if it works) but dont dump it on the pilot in the first line. Just use a command & control asset with more than one crewmember a hundred miles back to coordinate everything.
Its obvious IMO. And maybe its already a thing.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I think you broke him!

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Maybe combat that by hunting in packs the Ai can delegate certain objectives and targets to other aircraft and supporting drones?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join