It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Dies in Double Euthanasia After 65 Years of Marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Couple Dies in Double Euthanasia After 65 Years of Marriage

Nic and Trees Elderhorst, both 91, died holding hands and surrounded by family and friends in the Netherlands after 65 years of marriage. What makes their story stand out: The couple died in a double euthanasia.

I'm pretty upset about this. Romanticizing euthanasia IMO is so wrong on so many levels.

It's just...wrong.

We were given life as a gift - it's not up to us to take our own lives away. No different than suicide in my opinion - legalized or not.

Then I start to soften up and I waver... What would life have been for those people if they lost their loved one of 65 years.

Then I jump out of the way of my bleeding heart and remember a man from our church who was married almost 70 years. His wife passed last year. He kept her memory alive (he came to church pushing her wheel chair with her coat and a picture of her in the chair)... He was patient. His heart wasn't breaking for himself but rejoicing for her - because he knew he’d see her again soon. And he did. he passed only about 6 months after she did.

Then I waver again.

I envision the people I’ve been involved with at the hospital who are completing their days here on the earth in a horror of pain and loss of dignity and self - that I can’t even begin to imagine. Pure torture.

So I ask myself, ’Well, what do you think now? Huh?”

I don’t know. I don’t have all the answers but I will stand firm - at the end of this presentation that I do believe euthanasia - is wrong and too many levels to even explore in this forum.

Yep, even this does not change my mind, but it does hurt my heart.

"Something which she desperately did not want. Dying together was their deepest wish," says one daughter. Adds another, "They gave each other a big kiss and passed away confidently holding hands. According to their own wish."

peace

edit on 1946Monday201713 by silo13 because: forgot to add the rest of the article

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

The wife had dementia. I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Losing your mind, your very sense of self, is devastating and all but impossible for families to see you go through. I've told my family that if and when I'm diagnosed with dementia or alzheimer's I'm putting my kayak in the ocean and I will never be heard from again.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I have had the special privilege of loving someone so much.
That someone completed my life. And I'm whole knowing this.

Yes I'm athiest by meaning. But my heart never accepted this was it.

Ready to buck up and chase.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

You just ...
Million stars..

Similar situation..
And no one can change my mind.
edit on 14-8-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
We euthanize our pets to help ease their suffering. Why should a human be forced to suffer when we don't even reserve that ignominy for our beloved pets?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I think it's wonderful that they got their dying wish.

Death is unavoidable and to confront death on your own terms is a wonderful thing especially at an advanced age. There's time to say goodbyes, there's time to make arrangements and there's time for one to reconsider.

I have no problems with this whatsoever. Rather than submit to the whims of nature, they took control of their own destiny.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Hold on trigger finger!
edit on 14-8-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
people should have the right to end their own lives in a manner of their choosing... nothing wrong with it.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

We euthanize our pets to help ease their suffering. Why should a human be forced to suffer when we don't even reserve that ignominy for our beloved pets?

This what you mean. I'm never ready for this..

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Same here, but if we truly love our pets do we want them to suffer? Why should people suffer at the end of their lives if they choose not to?

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Couldn't agree more.

In some cases, euthanasia SHOULD be an option. I know my grandmother would have agreed, before her alzheimers and dementia got so bad she didn't know when, where, what or who she was.
edit on 1482017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Kayak,I like that! Just paddle off into The deep universe. a reply to: TobyFlenderson

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Yes sir. Maybe catch a striper or two on the way.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Because we're not animals.

We also euthenize animals because of overpopulation, no one wants them anymore, they're not cute, they bark too much...

See the connection? Probably not.

peace

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Couldn't agree more.

In some cases, euthanasia SHOULD be an option. I know my grandmother would have agreed, before her alzheimers and dementia got so bad she didn't know when, where, what or who she was.

I see your point but really? You’re going to allow someone who doesn’t even know who they are the right to make a decision to kill themselves?

Ouch. Talk about rock and hard place.

peace

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

originally posted by: TerryDon79

Couldn't agree more.

I see your point but really? You’re going to allow someone who doesn’t even know who they are the right to make a decision to kill themselves?

Ouch. Talk about rock and hard place.

peace

I guess you missed the part where I said BEFORE she got that bad?

And as for you comment about not being animals? What are we then? Clouds?

We take better care of our pets, who we call family members, than we do actual family members.
edit on 1482017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Euthanasia is a dignified death. My grandmother is very frail and suffers from multiple maladies and her memory is failing and one day she will get a phone call from me and will not recognize my voice, But then again my life is not in her hands.

I had a friend who was in hospital and all he could hear while trying to sleep were the folk in palliative care screaming in pain as they waited to die. No one should have endure such pain and if anyone who treasures life needs to realize life shouldn't be ended in pain.

Watching people slowly die is flipping horrible, and I am one of many who would pull the plug. Mental suffering is completely different from psychical suffering, I attempted suicide many times but that pales in comparison to those suffering from terminal illnesses. Ease the pain and let people go out on their own terms; Forget the BS religious rhetoric, No man or woman should spend their final days in agony.

edit on 14-8-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The male had a stroke several years ago and was less mobile and in pain. The female suffered also because of these changes and was just before their decision diagnosed with dementia.

I don't accept euthanasia except when there is proven unbearable suffering and no painkiller options. I don't think it's romantic to die together, death is part of life. I've read stories about people dying shortly after their partner died, I think that is love, even bigger love is those who remain alive for their offspring and other family.

There's a clinic for ending ones life and dual euthanasia cases happen a few times a year but are rare. It's not something which can be ordered just like that over the internet and someone gets their poison in the mail. It's a lenghty process full of evaluations and opinions.

It's a right, if someone wants it and is eligible so be it. I believe it's wrong but who am I. In this case many people were involved and everyone respected their wishes.

I do believe there is something wrong with the Dutch attitude towards care. There are too few caring people it appears, not just by looking at the shortage of nurses and carers, there are many openings in every healthcare facility. Too few people don't want to care for the elders it appears because of a number of reasons, like work but also having a life. Not enough budget, jobs aren't popular, not enough wage perhaps. And mostly offtopic but I don't believe psychiatry is helping the confused and weaker people and because of their treatments some people are actually driven to ending their lives either through euthanasia or suicide. I don't have any numbers but it doesn't happen a lot however I think there's a trend here with more ending of lives since maybe a decade.

I pray for the robot revolution and hopefully it'll make healthcare better, not just by adding robots to do work but also because many people might see healthcare as an option which would improve conditions of the sick, disabled and elder. But until then offering the choice might be considered a humane act but I wouldn't count it as a loving act, better to face the facts we don't have the answers yet or methods.
edit on 14-8-2017 by spliffster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

We euthanize our pets to help ease their suffering.

I've said this so many times after watching some relatives die an agonizing death due to cancer. I have no problem with euthanizing people when all treatments have been exhausted or their quality of life has been drastically diminished to the point where they're mentally incoherent and/or in chronic pain.

posted on Aug, 14 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

Because we're not animals.

We also euthenize animals because of overpopulation, no one wants them anymore, they're not cute, they bark too much...

See the connection? Probably not.

peace

Some people may want to check out for reasons you don't fully understand. Or maybe they feel they're a burden, no one wants them anymore, they're not cute, and they bark too much.

What right do we have to tell others they can't make they're own decisions if they're no hurting anyone else?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join