It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimpanzees learn rock-paper-scissors

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Looks like chimps are able to learn simple games that 4 year old humans typically learn.

Chimpanzees of all ages and all sexes can learn the simple circular relationship between the three different hand signals used in the well-known game rock-paper-scissors. Even though it might take them longer, they are indeed able to learn the game as well as a young child.
www.sciencedaily.com...

7 chimps learned the game using a computer based touch screen to show them the rules of the simple children's game. The majority of the chimps learned the game in only 307 sessions.

Seven chimpanzees of different ages and sexes living in the Primate Research Institute at Kyoto University were part of the experiment. They sat in a booth housing a computer-based touchscreen and were trained to choose the stronger of two options (based on the rules of the game) they saw on screen. They first learnt the paper-rock sequence, then the rock-scissors one and finally the scissors-paper combination. Once they knew how the pairs fitted together, all the different pairs were randomly presented to them on screen. Five of the seven chimpanzees completed the training after an average of 307 sessions.

Makes you wonder how much these chimps understand when they were/are experimented on.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The real question is when the chimps will develop to the next level with ro sham bo. Chimps are pretty smart aside from the gg allin impersonations.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'll be impressed when they start playing marry, f$&k , kill.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Seems like you could teach a dog the same game after that many attempts.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
The real question is when the chimps will develop to the next level with ro sham bo. Chimps are pretty smart aside from the gg allin impersonations.

I always appreciate a good ro sham bo reference. Star for you.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ventian
Seems like you could teach a dog the same game after that many attempts.

Maybe a border collie. They are also incredibly smart and have been shown to be capable of deductive reasoning, so it's possible -- and no less impressive.
edit on 11-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Oh my word, my dreams are gonna be awesome tonight, lol.

Playing a game with a chimp is one of my daughter's main goals in life.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I'll be impressed when they learn to play beer pong. I'd definitely tune in for Chimpanzee Beer Pong. One can dream..

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   
70% of them "completed the training" after 307 sessions?

What does completing the training entail?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Still waiting for DB to chime in

But if we came from monkeys...
Then can someone tell me why there's still Monkeys
~KM

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
where is spock ?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
70% of them "completed the training" after 307 sessions?

What does completing the training entail?

For some reason I am picturing # being literally slung all over the place.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

If AI take out the humans one day, I wonder if the apes will then take out the AI one day which would bring us to:

Planet Of The Apes

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I don't think they 'understand' the way we do. That is, they learn by repetition and recognition but won't grasp the idea that paper wraps rock, rock blunts scissors and scissors cut paper. I imagine most of the 'clever' species from dolphins to crows could play the game in a similar fashion.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

I don't think they 'understand' the way we do. That is, they learn by repetition and recognition but won't grasp the idea that paper wraps rock, rock blunts scissors and scissors cut paper. I imagine most of the 'clever' species from dolphins to crows could play the game in a similar fashion.

They taught horses how to communicate with buttons to indicate whether they wanted their blanket removed or put on:
www.sciencemag.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

To be fair, paper doesn't stand much of a chance against rocks.
The game is pretty stupid.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Aliens land on Earth!!!!
because they have found intelligent life on earth.
the aliens go to the Zoo and take All the chimps with them.

Sighs. maybe one day we to may go...

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
chimp version Rock -paper -scissors
Rock ( hit humans on head .
Paper crumple put into mouth ( tast like chicken )
Scissors go one murderess rampage kill all humans .
Cut scene 10,000 ad Charleston Heston sees Statue of liberty and cry's the murdering basters did it they accutly did it .
Only 700 trys hu ? lol
well i wont worry to much about them then .

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Planet of the Apes is a documentary. I wonder how do preppers prepare for a Planet of the Apes scenario?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Only needed 307 electric shock treatments

I don't believe that chimps understand that scissors cuts paper etc. Basically they would not know if they won or lost, or even if it's about winning and losing. They are simply going through the motions,nothing more.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join