It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI is targeting you to change what you believe

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutonomousMeatPuppet
Facebook does not allow advert targeting to groups under 5000 people.

A few points
1) It's not just about paid advertisements.
2) It's not just about facebook
3) Even when limiting the conversation to those two things, one need not use facebook's ad "targeting." You can also choose to send an ad out to "people who like your page." This particular company has done extensive research on the relationship between "likes" and psychological profile. It is not difficult to see how they could use facebook pages as a way to herd people with identical psychological profiles together and then target those people, especially when they have data on practically everyone, from sources all over the web.

The actual responses that people leave on facebook posts (and elsewhere) are used mine their specific history. Deep Learning AI's like IBM's Watson and Google's AI and others can scour these responses looking for patterns.

We're not too far off from a world where AI is smart enough to seek specific individuals out in forums or in facebook groups, chat them up, friend them, and target them one on one. We MAY not be there yet. But that's coming.

As in, the day is coming when you won't have to worry about whether the person you're chatting with is a paid shill. You'll have to worry about whether they're human.

All campaigns aggregate voter information to generally direct their ads.

Of course they do. I wish I could say they don't all have this quality of analytics, but the framework that took the original team years to develop (that maps like patterns to OCEAN scores) is in the wild now. So they all have that too. Or at least they should.

What they don't have are this company's resources, experience, and expertise.
edit on 12-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

We're not too far off from a world where AI is smart enough to seek specific individuals out in forums or in facebook groups, chat them up, friend them, and target them one on one. We MAY not be there yet. But that's coming.

As in, the day is coming when you won't have to worry about whether the person you're chatting with is a paid shill. You'll have to worry about whether they're human.

Can you say "Cortana" ... Ooops... i may have activated her just by typing the name in here. Oooh what am i thinking... duh... she is never really inactive just because i try to switch her off.'

leolady

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I don't see any mention of getting people to like certain pages so that they can be targeted. That would be nearly an impossible task for the most part.

The article makes it seem like this list of 200 million people is being used to target specific ads to them. That's not possible. The only thing a list like that could do is find unusual patterns, such as certain zip codes that feel differently that others. That's just better market research. The same goal could be met through Facebook's advert ranking. I think they wasted a lot of money making that list when Facebook can do the same thing cheaper.

But looking forward, I agree that real bots will become an issue to deal with. They were already starting in 2016.

www.theverge.com... /13202794/arguetron-twitter-bot-alt-right-internet-bigots-4chan-sarah-nyberg

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Elon Musk tweeted - “If you're not concerned about AI safety, you should be. Vastly more risk than North Korea.”

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutonomousMeatPuppet

I don't see any mention of getting people to like certain pages so that they can be targeted. That would be nearly an impossible task for the most part.

The article makes it seem like this list of 200 million people is being used to target specific ads to them. That's not possible. The only thing a list like that could do is find unusual patterns, such as certain zip codes that feel differently that others. That's just better market research. The same goal could be met through Facebook's advert ranking. I think they wasted a lot of money making that list when Facebook can do the same thing cheaper.

But looking forward, I agree that real bots will become an issue to deal with. They were already starting in 2016.

www.theverge.com... /13202794/arguetron-twitter-bot-alt-right-internet-bigots-4chan-sarah-nyberg

One thing that occurs to me is the massive data dump they have on people, obtained from sources outside facebook. So they likely already have a mapping between facebook account, all other media accounts, post history on relevant sites, and so on. Then they would fairly easily be able to do research to determine which facebook groups people with a given profile are already members of. Then they could target post to those specific groups.

In the article, they were targeting ads down to a 5 mile radius because they knew that's where their target was focused, based on the data they'd collected.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How to snipe just one person's news feed with facebook ads:

www.adweek.com...

Custom Audiences is how to reach your intended audience with precision. You can upload lists of emails, phone numbers, UserIDs, and App User IDs to be used to target as few as a single person with precision. However, keep in mind that Facebook’s terms of service requires custom audiences to opt in, so play by the rules or put on your gray hat and cross your fingers. 1 If you can’t find your target’s email address, you can try common email formats such as [email protected] or first initial then last name at company ([email protected]). Test with a few of these, and/or look for an example by browsing contact information on the company website, or by collecting business cards at your next conference. If you know your target’s Facebook URL, You can use their User ID as a target. Grab it by using Facebook Graph. For example, If you wanted to target the president of InfusionSoft, Clate Mask, who’s Facebook URL is Clate.mask.5, You would grab the ID from graph.facebook.com...: 2 Once your list is ready, Go to the Advanced Options tab and enter the custom audience label.

All of the "hunting" options are well within the operating limits of today's AIs.

posted on Aug, 15 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

You must be Dutch. Just yesterday I saw a documentairy about that company and Trump.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join