It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AI is targeting you to change what you believe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is a fascinating article about a wide range of integrated technologies being used together to specifically target citizens to change their minds and their behavior. It looks like the research for this article started with the whole rash of Fake News stories revolving around Hillary Clinton (ie Pizza Gate) but the ensuing revelations are about much more than just Trump and Hillary. It'll make you question every social media post, every post on this forum and on just about every other -- anywhere ideas are being discussed where public opinion effects cash flow.

“This is a propaganda machine. It’s targeting people individually to recruit them to an idea. It’s a level of social engineering that I’ve never seen before. They’re capturing people and then keeping them on an emotional leash and never letting them go,” said professor Jonathan Albright.

And....

By leveraging automated emotional manipulation alongside swarms of bots, Facebook dark posts, A/B testing, and fake news networks, a company called Cambridge Analytica has activated an invisible machine that preys on the personalities of individual voters to create large shifts in public opinion. Many of these technologies have been used individually to some effect before, but together they make up a nearly impenetrable voter manipulation machine that is quickly becoming the new deciding factor in elections around the world.

In my opinion, a place like ATS is ripe for manipulation because people here are willing to believe in unusual ideas. Bots know they can play to our biases and generate support... not because they care about the topic of a specific post but because they are trying to influence our larger political inclinations and behavior.

Here's the full link. It's fascinating.

scout.ai...

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Some of you may be turned off by all the Trump campaign talk near the beginning of the article (given the Trump campaign's close ties to this particular company), but if that's the case, please skip over the first part and read further down in the article.

You'll come across the technology talk, which is politically agnostic.

For example:

According to Zurich’s Das Magazine, which profiled Kosinski in late 2016, “with a mere ten ‘likes’ as input his model could appraise a person’s character better than an average coworker. With seventy, it could ‘know’ a subject better than a friend; with 150 likes, better than their parents. With 300 likes, Kosinski’s machine could predict a subject’s behavior better than their partner. With even more likes it could exceed what a person thinks they know about themselves.”

According to a Guardian investigation, in early 2014, just a few months after Kosinski declined their offer, SCL partnered with Kogan instead. As a part of their relationship, Kogan paid Amazon Mechanical Turk workers $1 each to take the OCEAN quiz. There was just one catch: To take the quiz, users were required to provide access to all of their Facebook data. They were told the data would be used for research. The job was reported to Amazon for violating the platform’s Terms of Service. What many of the Turks likely didn’t realize: According to documents reviewed by The Guardian, “Kogan also captured the same data for each person’s unwitting friends.” The data gathered from Kogan’s study went on to birth Cambridge Analytica, which spun out of SCL Elections soon after. The name, metaphorically at least, was a nod to Kogan’s work -- and a dig at Kosinski. But that early trove of user data was just the beginning -- just the seed Analytica needed to build its own model for analyzing users personalities without having to rely on the lengthy OCEAN test. After a successful proof of concept and backed by wealthy conservative investors, Analytica went on a data shopping spree for the ages, snapping up data about your shopping habits, land ownership, where you attend church, what stores you visit, what magazines you subscribe to -- all of which is for sale from a range of data brokers and third party organizations selling information about you. Analytica aggregated this data with voter roles, publicly available online data -- including Facebook likes -- and put it all into its predictive personality model.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
HB Gary

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Thank you so much for making a thread on this!!!

It truly is frightening stuff, and I hope people will take note as to how vulnerable society is to such manipulation.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

What does that mean?

And what does your link go to?

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostgirl
a reply to: xuenchen

What does that mean?

And what does your link go to?

It's a link to Google search results relating to a company called HB Gary, a subsidiary of ManTech International focusing on technology security. HB Gary threatened to expose Anonymous. Anonymous launched a preemptive strike by raiding HB Gary's Email servers and dumping all their communications publicly as well as destroying all their data.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

Very interesting, I will have a good read over this later.

when reading your post and you mentioned this site, I couldn't help but think of when I found out mods here can give multiple stars for a post, which is in a way an attempt to steer the conversation in a certain direction. S&F

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Me, I'd never ever use "any" TCP/IP connection that came back to me. Prob a no contract phone and data card paid for in cash. And, I'd use an encrypted virtual machine on an encrypted hard drive. Lol, on a stolen laptop.

But I'm old. Young people throw caution to the wind....

originally posted by: xuenchen
HB Gary

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Thank you for the reply!

Wow, maybe something like that needs to happen to these "Cambridge Analytica" people too!!

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I thought this bit was also very interesting. All those weird Youtube videos that get posted around here? They might not even be created by a real person.

The synergy between fake-content networks, automated message testing, and personality profiling will rapidly spread to other digital mediums. Albright’s most-recent research focuses on an artificial intelligence that automatically creates YouTube videos about news and current events. The AI, which reacts to trending topics on Facebook and Twitter, pairs images and subtitles with a computer generated voiceover. It spooled out nearly 80,000 videos through 19 different channels in just a few days.

Think about the potential for AI generated AD REVENUE. An AI with access to deep analytics data AND relevant content could take over youtube in no time.
edit on 11-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

backed by wealthy conservative investors

Of course, because they're evil. But we're supposed to believe that liberals are the biggest threat and people are stupid enough to believe it.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Sounds like the American government will be colluding to manipulate elections .

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Maybe your eyes aren't working well CONSERVATIVE INVESTORS, not government.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

backed by wealthy conservative investors

Of course, because they're evil. But we're supposed to believe that liberals are the biggest threat and people are stupid enough to believe it.

I was hoping this thread wouldn't turn into a partisan pissing match. This particular company has conservative leanings and apparently does not work with liberals. Steve Bannon is on this company's board, and the Mercers partly own it.

But that's not really what this is about, because this technology will be leveraged by Blue interests as well as Red ones.

Turning it into a partisan debate makes it all pretty pointless. Sort of like people who want "gerrymandering" debates to be partisan, when the real issue is that analytics have become so targeted that operation red map could easily turn into operation blue map, and the issue itself is NOT partisan.

It is a question of data -- targeted data that is more predictive than ever before.

We are rapidly entering an era where A.I. will know more about us than we know about ourselves, where we can be led around by a leash while operating under the illusion of free will. When those who would seek to manipulate the masses have targeted profiles on each and every one of us (and they DO), and when they understand our individual psychological trigger points, and when an A.I. is attempting to manipulate ALL OF US one person at a time, the whole concept of free will is tested.

It's scary.
edit on 11-8-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Exactly - this should not be discussed as a 'conservative vs liberal' issue, because it could just as easily have been rich liberals who used this company to swing the vote in their favor...

...the issue is the 'technology' itself and the general public needing to be made aware of how vulnerable they are to this kind of 'predicted' manipulation that is being effected with their data -

- and that they need to be made aware of the kinds of nefarious purposes to which all their social media input (every 'Like', every 'Share') is being collected, correlated, and put to use..

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Facebook does not allow advert targeting to groups under 5000 people. All campaigns aggregate voter information to generally direct their ads.

FB will auto adjust spending within well performing ad groups. It does not apply to individual persons.

I think most people set up fake accounts to argue politics, seeing how people get so emotional. Fear of offending their boss, or just to have fun pushing people's buttons.

This article is basically a summary of a $10 Udemy Facebook marketing course, combined with ominous connections that cannot or are not likely to exist.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I believe the fake news sites were tied to Eastern Europe, Balkan states, by mostly PPC black hat advertisers. Basically teens and young adults trying to make a quick buck.

Retargeting people who click your website with similar adverts is common practice. The article also mentions there is no connection to a political campaign.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
So this election could have been a dry run. See just how well it works. We did vote in a duche for president but it was better then the #sandwich. See though. That could have been what they wanted us to do.

So how do we know which choice is the one we want or the one they want?
edit on 11-8-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: had to add and subtract a little. multiply and divide is for later.

posted on Aug, 11 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

Just look at the media. They are controlled by a handful of people and they expose their bias daily.

Also regarding the article, it's common practice to set up Facebook ads that are "dark". Who wants thousands of posts on their FB page showing the exact same thing with word variations? Literally, anyone who knows anything about FB advertising does this. To make it sound like some shady thing just goes to show how desperate this article is.

I would say banning all political advertising from FB would be the way to go. Somehow I doubt that will happen. More likely, there will be some kind of benefit provided to FB's preferred candidates. Like, every dollar the opponent spends, FB will match with free advertising to combat the scourge of "unfair" advertising.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   

This is not the most fun rabbit hole to go down:

These films change my view of American history completely:

metanoia-films.org...

Once you understand the context in which politics occur, you are no longer shocked by anything that appears on the news. The Pysop film was amazing. But the Human Resource film scared me the most. There is some pretty crazy Shiite going on in the USA.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join