It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just had to share this due to it's idiocy and hilarity

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: SlapMonkey

It's not just them mistaking them for burkas. That is pretty awful by itself, but it's also the immediate jumps to intolerant rants like how they are hiding weapons or they are dangerous and stuff.

The teller at the bank will call the cops if I walk in wearing sunglasses- I'm all for tolerance, but let's spread it around a little, okay?

My teller tells me to take them off until I hand her my ID, but regardless sunglasses aren't a part of religious identity. They exist to prevent your eyes from getting sun damage. Burkas are part of religious clothing. Telling a Muslim to take it off is like demanding a Jew remove his kippah.

Finally, what's your point here? This was a picture on a bus. Not some location where you need to identify your face to be served or proceed with your errand.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrNeo
What blows my mind is most lefties are against christian religion, don't want the ten commandments anywhere, don't want Christmas being called Christmas yet bend over backwards over the religion of islam.
Mind - Blown.

Letting Muslims be Muslims and practice their religion isn't the same as sticking the Ten Commandments in front of a state building (no one is demanding Christians remove the Ten Commandments from in front of the local church or anything). One is practicing the 1st Amendment freedom of religious expression and the other is a violation of separation of church and state. Learn the difference, because you look ignorant for saying what you said.
edit on 3-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

C'mon that is funny! Guess I'm racist...

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

Bahahahahah

Sorry wasn't laughing at picture.

Was laughing at the black lines. I couldn't tell initially if I was looking at drawings of black guns or schlongs.

Hahahahah

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

It's not just them mistaking them for burkas. That is pretty awful by itself, but it's also the immediate jumps to intolerant rants like how they are hiding weapons or they are dangerous and stuff.

The teller at the bank will call the cops if I walk in wearing sunglasses- I'm all for tolerance, but let's spread it around a little, okay?

My teller tells me to take them off until I hand her my ID, but regardless sunglasses aren't a part of religious identity. They exist to prevent your eyes from getting sun damage. Burkas are part of religious clothing. Telling a Muslim to take it off is like demanding a Jew remove his kippah.

Finally, what's your point here? This was a picture on a bus. Not some location where you need to identify your face to be served or proceed with your errand.

The difference is wearing a Kippah is not impeding on modern society and social norms. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

The fact is when women are walking around in a full body curtain it creates a safety hazard. If someone wants to adhere to a dark ages religion and treat their women as chattle, then I really don't care but the line gets drawn if it is preventing them from participating as a citizen in the country.

So if someone creates a religion and decides adherents should always be nude, are we going to allow that in public too? What if some religion says washing your hands is bad, can that person work in a restaurant?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: justagod

This reminds me of another story I heard-this one guy gets on a bus and sits next to a dude with 'I'm with stupid' on his Tee shirt with an arrow pointing at him.

Don't worry folks, Trump is OK and is alleging it is fake news.

edit on 3-8-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

The difference is wearing a Kippah is not impeding on modern society and social norms. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

The fact is when women are walking around in a full body curtain it creates a safety hazard. If someone wants to adhere to a dark ages religion and treat their women as chattle, then I really don't care but the line gets drawn if it is preventing them from participating as a citizen in the country.

So if someone creates a religion and decides adherents should always be nude, are we going to allow that in public too? What if some religion says washing your hands is bad, can that person work in a restaurant?
How does it create a safety hazard? Don't agree or disagree with you; I'm just curious is all.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Can't decide what is more funny, this or the college kids who thought a kkk rally was going on because of a projector cover.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aristotelian1

How does it create a safety hazard? Don't agree or disagree with you; I'm just curious is all.

Because you can't identify the person. There have been several cases where women wanted to take their driver's license picture in full burka.

I ride motorcycles. I am not stupid enough to go into a bank with my full face helmet on for obvious reasons.

I generally don't care. Live and let live. However, there are situations when someone's religion has to take a back seat to social norms.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Lol. That is ridiculous. The Burka isn't impeding on modern society or social norms. For one, the burka has been around for centuries. For two, Muslims have been in the US since it was founded. The burka wasn't a problem back then. For three, it's only a problem to Muslim haters.

An article of clothing isn't preventing them from participating as a citizen of the country. You are reaching with that nonsense.

That depends on if it becomes large enough that the US recognizes it as an official religion. Scientology had to literally scam the IRS to be accepted. Rastafarians and other groups who are trying to get around federal restrictions on pot use have a hard time getting approved. So it's not like it would be easy or anything. You make it sound like you can just declare a group and a segment of beliefs as a religion and suddenly you are protected under 1st Amendment protections. Um. No. Muslims are protected because Islam has been a religion for centuries now.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
So some people are frightened of Muslims because
What has happened in the past
and...people are judging them
Hmmmm

Ok, so my point is
Some bad Muslims judge and kill people, so some people judge Muslims
Then some Europeans judge Muslims because they are scared/concerned/dubious, they are bad

When the bus of empty seats gets blown the ef up, let's make an issue of it
edit on 3-8-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Lol. That is ridiculous. The Burka isn't impeding on modern society or social norms. For one, the burka has been around for centuries. For two, Muslims have been in the US since it was founded. The burka wasn't a problem back then. For three, it's only a problem to Muslim haters.

An article of clothing isn't preventing them from participating as a citizen of the country. You are reaching with that nonsense.

That depends on if it becomes large enough that the US recognizes it as an official religion. Scientology had to literally scam the IRS to be accepted. Rastafarians and other groups who are trying to get around federal restrictions on pot use have a hard time getting approved. So it's not like it would be easy or anything. You make it sound like you can just declare a group and a segment of beliefs as a religion and suddenly you are protected under 1st Amendment protections. Um. No. Muslims are protected because Islam has been a religion for centuries now.

I gave specific examples of how it prevents them from participating which you didn't even attempt to address / refute. I also specifically stated I don't care if they want to walk around covered head to toe. However, there are certain situations in which their religion / religious garb should not take priority. The biggest one is in identification.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Read the article at the link you provided: from it:

The tweet is a reflection of a growing trend in America that’s proving to be political acceptable, that being to openly attack white folks for no other reason than the color of their skin. A stance that find its roots in the tenets of critical race theory, a narrative that points to institutional racism and the myth of “white privilege” to state that all white people are inherently racist — this radical theory was thrust into the mainstream during the Barack Obama presidency.

This is precisely why I no longer go to restaurants, especially in the major metro areas. As a side note, its been oft reported of late that restaurants are taking a major hit across the US, especially stores like TGI Friday's, Red Lobster, etc.

I don't find any direct evidence, yet.....but I suspect this type bigotry is eventually going to have a negative impact on the economy. Its already the case that "mall shopping" is dead, auto sales are on a serious downturn.

One of the big problems no one is talking about with the influx of Muslim refugees is the simple fact that many of the Boomer generation are simply creeped out by them, whether in stores or restaurants. Leftist SJW types are quick to call them bigots, xenophobes, whatever. The bigger truth is its simply "fear" of the "other" born of ignorance. They simply don't know what to make of the Muslims and its becoming ever more increasingly difficult to "read" them, as in identifying friend from foe.

Everyone loves to hate on the Boomers, blame them for this mess. But another truth is that the Boomer generation is the largest and wealthiest generation in the US today. And they're shunning retail, whether its Sears or Applebee's, they're increasingly absent, at least in the Major Metro areas. And they're on the move! A great many are retiring outside the US and the ones who are retiring inside the US are moving into rural retreats far from Major Metro areas.

Of a day, there will be an economic consequence to all this.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

At first glance bus seats happen to look like women wearing Burkas. Fancy that.

Which goes to the point that a woman wearing a burka is just about identifiable as a bus seat.
Some states allow them to wear it for their drivers license photos.

Exactly. Basically we can find anything that resembles a Burka – bus seats, potato sacks, garbage bags – and only one type of garb comes to mind. Present said garbage bags as humans and of course they will assume they are Burka-wearing fundamentalists. I get that it is funny when people can make such a mistake, but it isn't so funny that people are walking around with nary a trace of visible humanity.
edit on 3-8-2017 by TheTory because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   

All I could think of when I started this was school bus seats which are bench style seats and was having trouble figuring out how women in burkas would be mistaken for bench seating.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

[SNIPPED]

I understand why so many people are opposed to christianity, I am often opposed to many Christians
I can also understand why some are concerned with Muslims

I don't understand your reasoning here
edit on 8.4.2017 by Kandinsky because: Snipped ill-mannered comment

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

KS is a DNC supporter.

Secondly, there has been more support for Muslims in media over Christianity of late.

Thirdly, Trump wants to bring Christianity back.

See the argument?

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

At first glance bus seats happen to look like women wearing Burkas. Fancy that.

Which goes to the point that a woman wearing a burka is just about identifiable as a bus seat.
Some states allow them to wear it for their drivers license photos.

Exactly. Basically we can find anything that resembles a Burka – bus seats, potato sacks, garbage bags – and only one type of garb comes to mind. Present said garbage bags as humans and of course they will assume they are Burka-wearing fundamentalists. I get that it is funny when people can make such a mistake, but it isn't so funny that people are walking around with nary any trace of visible humanity.

Honestly, that is what I think the real story is... not that people mistake bus seats for burkas. At a glance, they look like burkas. Just like at a glance, some cinnamon rolls look like the virgin mary. For me, the real story is that you have women being subjugated to the point they can't even show their faces in public.

I've yet to hear a convincing argument from lefties as to why they tolerate this subjugation of women from Muslims, yet they are constantly accusing conservatives of having a war on women.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

You forgot the part where Christianity apparently stung him as a small child.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Another way to put it is why do we show so much tolerance for a system that basically wipes its women of their essential humanity so much that someone could honestly make this kind of mistake?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join