It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet? Not ISS over Pittsburgh headed north.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I wonder did you see a very early example of the Perseid Meteor Shower?

The shower peaks on August 11-12.

However from last year on July 14th:

Assiduous observers have already begun to see members of the Perseid meteor stream β€” unusually early, as the shower's forerunners do not usually begin to make their appearance until the third week of July. While meteors appear on the order of only a few per hour at present, their numbers will begin to ramp up in earnest after Aug. 7, reaching their maximum during the predawn hours on Friday, Aug. 12.

www.space.com...

They travel at 132000 miles per hour, so 10 minutes would be about 22,000 miles of travel...
www.nasa.gov...
edit on 2/8/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Definitely saw meteors tonight shoot by.
Wonder how high and big this was to keep it in view for as long as it did. It was going slower than the ISS, but bright and fuzzy.😊

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1

Meteorite sitings are measured in seconds not minutes.
Shooting stars are there and gone in a blink of an eye.
Ten minutes....and no photos .
I'm skeptical.
Maybe a satellite reentering?
edit on 822017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Don't blame you.
As i said, got tunnel visioned and did not let it out of my site.
I honestly expected it to come through the atmosphere. And I didn't want to miss it.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

What about space junk reentering atmosphere ? .... Maybe there's a website that tracks that stuff ....I don't know. 10 minutes is a long time....but I have no doubt OP saw something burning in. I'm jealous, wish I'd seen it !!

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Crikey, 10 minutes! or thereabouts. I'm going outside tonight with my camera. Don't wanna miss something like that.

Nice catch.

regards,

bally

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I'm in Scotland and I saw basically the same thing, I posted about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Hi sorry the only reason I feel compelled to jump in is to shortly let the klugscheisser german loose:
Vision in picture:

The distance is key here, we are talking so close actually we are seeing more than a star, a dot, but far enough to make huge differences in the relatively small distances on earth we see them from.

East coast us West coast West north coast Europe. If you wanna do the maths... what is a map and how does it work?
Haha just kidding.

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Did it look anything like this?

edit on 2-8-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical1972

I think that's it, it's pretty cool though

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Sounds like some rocket stage venting fuel.

10 minutes (if that's really how long the object was in the sky) seems rather long for orbiting man-made objects (which take only a few minutes max), and especially so for meteoroids that hit our atmosphere (which happens in seconds). But some satellites can indeed take about 10 minutes to cross from horizon to horizon.

Comets don't visibly travel across the sky like that, they pretty much hang in the sky night after night and change their position very very slowly.

You can check with www.heavens-above.com... for any man-made objects passing over your location that night, there might just be some rocket stage that was venting fuel.

(Update) Here's your ISS pass, under the Big Dipper and than passing into Earth's shadow: heavens-above.com...

If the other object you saw was a satellite, it might have been this one: heavens-above.com... although it would appear just as a faint satellite, not a bright fuzzy thing.

Or this satellite: heavens-above.com...

That was was brighter, and heading in the right kind of direction. The fuzzy appearance might have been caused by high-altitude clouds or haze that you wouldn't normally notice in the night sky.
edit on 2-8-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Probably should be in the Grey Area.

I was watching the International Space Station heading east just under the big dipper. Then a very bright object came into view over me headed towards lake Erie. Going north..like an astroid scraping the atmosphere.
It was vaping like a fuzzy glow around it. Not a satellite ( I'm not drinking ).

The event lasted 10 or so minutes. I got a bit of tunnel vision, so i could not grab my camera that is in the car.
Gosh damn my fur is still up.
I stared seemingly waiting for it to enter the atmosphere as it headed north down over the horizon.

Anyone in PA OH NY or Toronto see this?

Here's the ISS after I came in to right this up. You'll see the time stamp on this screen cap.
Time and date.
Someone had to of seen this???!

ER HMM SOMEONE NORTH OF HERE IN MERCER COUNTY MIGHT HAVE SEEN THIS.

The other day I read about a new Russian satellite that was supposedly going to be the brightest thing in the sky. It's already been launched and there was mention of it being "as bright as the moon". The large solar sails on it that power it (I assume) had not been unfurled yet so it wasn't able to be seen at that time, but it was expected to at any time. Whether or not this is what you saw or not, I don't know, plus I don't know why it had a "tail" as you describe. One thing could be is that maybe you had an overhead 'haze' that made it appear to have a tail, just thinking out loud.

Maybe search for a new Russian satellite and see if you can find it, it really was supposed to get attention from what I read, I can't really remember the name of it, sorry.
There was no available paths like there is with the ISS yet either, so it wasn't known when it would be seen regularly.
edit on 2-8-2017 by recrisp because: (no reason given)

Here's the link to the article...
www.express.co.uk...
edit on 2-8-2017 by recrisp because: Added a link to the article...

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This is from Asgard Web log. A meteor recorded at 03:42 UTC in the vicinity of Lake Erie.
Asgard Web Log

And another at 05:02 UTC
Asgard Web Log

Here is a site with live visual of items entering the atmosphere explained
meteor view explained

And Live View
live view
edit on 8/2/2017 by whatnext21 because: Addition

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Ok I'm awake and headed out for a bit.
To everyone here on page 3 that posted, most appreciated.

Diabolical; it wasn't that fast and not a long tail.. tear drop vapor-fuzzy hue bright center.

Whatnext; thanks very much..lol but i don't understand those chartsπŸ€—
Whould the time on there coincide with my 11:40'ish pm sigrhting.😊

People; I stink on ice with math. If i had to guess, I'd say 200 miles where space starts and low earth orbit begins.

Widespace; i don't know of any launches from Florida. and Wallops is to far east for the trajectory. This was headed north towards the Erie area and probably beyond.

Recrisp; I'll look into that and thank you.

Bally

Welcome to ATS Scorpio

edit on 2-8-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Yeah not a fireball. I was lucky enough to see one once. Lasted about 3 seconds. Think I made a thread on it

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Well somebody else had to have seen it.
Might have been reported as a UFO

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

I kept checking other sites. No one has reported anything as of yet.πŸ™

posted on Aug, 2 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Probably should be in the Grey Area.

I was watching the International Space Station heading east just under the big dipper. Then a very bright object came into view over me headed towards lake Erie. Going north..like an astroid scraping the atmosphere.
It was vaping like a fuzzy glow around it. Not a satellite ( I'm not drinking ).

The event lasted 10 or so minutes. I got a bit of tunnel vision, so i could not grab my camera that is in the car.
Gosh damn my fur is still up.
I stared seemingly waiting for it to enter the atmosphere as it headed north down over the horizon.

Anyone in PA OH NY or Toronto see this?

Here's the ISS after I came in to right this up. You'll see the time stamp on this screen cap.
Time and date.
Someone had to of seen this???!

ER HMM SOMEONE NORTH OF HERE IN MERCER COUNTY MIGHT HAVE SEEN THIS.

The other day I read about a new Russian satellite that was supposedly going to be the brightest thing in the sky. It's already been launched and there was mention of it being "as bright as the moon". The large solar sails on it that power it (I assume) had not been unfurled yet so it wasn't able to be seen at that time, but it was expected to at any time. Whether or not this is what you saw or not, I don't know, plus I don't know why it had a "tail" as you describe. One thing could be is that maybe you had an overhead 'haze' that made it appear to have a tail, just thinking out loud.

Maybe search for a new Russian satellite and see if you can find it, it really was supposed to get attention from what I read, I can't really remember the name of it, sorry.
There was no available paths like there is with the ISS yet either, so it wasn't known when it would be seen regularly.

Here's the link to the article...
www.express.co.uk...

Ya here the one your looking -talking about
Mayak
been looking but no show for me yet

Could also check here
SatFlare
Happy hunting bed time for me

edit on 3-8-2017 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thus Site has some recent sightings. You might want to read them or report one.

posted on Aug, 3 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium
I found it right after I posted, I placed the link to the article but I guess I should've mentioned that it was called, "Mayak" too, that would have been helpful.

Thanks, and sorry.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join