It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, I have to say it. I cannot stand these "But it's for our 'safety' " folks.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I have heard it since the passing of the "Patriot" Act. "Oh, they're spying on us? It's just for our protection." Here's another one. "Oh, they've peeled our fourth amendment back? It's for our protection."

Now police are enlisting the use of drones. Guess what people are saying. You got it, " Oh, it's for our protection."

What really gets me about this line of "reasoning" is that it's based on the naive belief that an "eye in the sky," for lack of a better term, is somehow going to "protect" them from someone who in many cases couldn't care less if he/she lives or does.

Seriously, do you really believe someone who has nothing to lose is going to care about some video surveillance filming them? If they really want to get to you, it won't matter. Still feel "safe"?

Let's talk about this myth of "complete safety" so many Americans seem to full heartedly believe is a "real" possibility. There are a multitude of ways you can be unsafe. You could get out of bed, trip over a toy in the floor, hit your temple on the corner of a table and die instantly. Were you "safe"? You could go outside and a meteorite could fall out of the sky and drop directly on you. Were you "safe"? You could be sitting on a toilet and strain yourself and have a heart attack. Were you "safe"?

Unlikely, you say? Well, just how likely do you think it is that you're going to be the victim of a "terrorist" or some other bogeyman? Could you be? Of course. However, what do you suppose are the odds?

Point is, America is turning itself into a surveillance state in the pursuit of "complete safety," which is impossible.

Just something I had to get off of my proverbial "chest."

edit on 19-7-2017 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth
The very effin reason I will rip Bush a new one every time his name is mentioned in honor here....and Obama carried on the "Family Tradition" rather well
Lets Federalize airline workers . What a joke. Ruined air travel for life.
Why didnt he just make the gd 3 letter agencies do their jobs ?
And the DHS .Couldnt find their own a** looking in a mirror feeling with both hands.
This time you have worn your moniker honorably .

End my rant
Please continue yours

edit on 7/19/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/19/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Lol, well, given it's about bedtime for me, I doubt I'll have much more to say tonight. HOWEVER, I am sure I will have much more to say tomorrow after work. Lol.

Seriously, this is really a sticking point with me. I feel the same as you. People ask me, "Who do you like, Bush or Obama?" My reply? "Neither. They both are two of the worst things to ever happen to this country. They both laid the foundation to take away your rights under the guise of 'safety' for you."

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I'm going to have to do a rant about the lack of punctuation in thread titles.

I was expecting something totally different when I read "OK I have to say it I cannot stand these but its for our own safety folks"

I thought it was going to be about something the OP couldn't stand, but he was OK with it because it was for our own safety.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Dictatorships are very safe, except when it comes to the Gov't. Just ask the next N. Korean you meet.

We are all possible victims of random crime, accidents, or acts of God. The Government doesn't protect us from these things, they simply clean up after the fact. All of these so called "protections" are to protect the Gov't from us, not us from ourselves.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

What? (Squints eyes)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Which is why it's even more absurd that people support it.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Agreed. Too many people are sheeple and just follow whatever the narrative is without realizing what is in their best interest.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth

What? (Squints eyes)

On the New Topics page. The only punctuation that shows up is periods.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

Agreed. Too many people are sheeple and just follow whatever the narrative is without realizing what is in their best interest.
I don't even think most people even consider the potential ramifications of any of it. Of course, we live in a country where people have forever pushed the idea that "such things could never happen here." Well, they have, are and will.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Hmmmmm... Never noticed.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Lol, damn, you're right!! Lol.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Basically you're saying the truth...but still sugar coated. The truth is: The Terrorists Won. They didn't like our freedoms; we don't have a great deal of those freedoms anymore. We are being spied on, tallied, evaluated, and told what to think, and they are even causing the USA, which was once considered "the good guy" to be that very "great satan" which they claimed we were BEFORE the Patriot Act.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpeakerofTruth
a reply to: Gothmog

Lol, well, given it's about bedtime for me, I doubt I'll have much more to say tonight. HOWEVER, I am sure I will have much more to say tomorrow after work. Lol.

Seriously, this is really a sticking point with me. I feel the same as you. People ask me, "Who do you like, Bush or Obama?" My reply? "Neither. They both are two of the worst things to ever happen to this country. They both laid the foundation to take away your rights under the guise of 'safety' for you."

And the right to kill US citizens anywhere in the world without due process
I still got hours.....night person myself...

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

While I understand your point, don't you think it's more of a case of self defeat? After all, the United States placed the draconian legislation upon itself out of fear of something that's less likely than being killed by falling furniture. Falling Furniture

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Basically you're saying the truth...but still sugar coated. The truth is: The Terrorists Won. They didn't like our freedoms; we don't have a great deal of those freedoms anymore. We are being spied on, tallied, evaluated, and told what to think, and they are even causing the USA, which was once considered "the good guy" to be that very "great satan" which they claimed we were BEFORE the Patriot Act.

So you're saying: That the truth is: that terrorists attacked the the USA, for the primary reason that they didn't like your freedoms?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

The problem isn't drones.. or privacy..

The problem is that we let them make crazy morality laws where they make good people criminals...

If there were no bad laws none of the rest matters really.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Lol, wut?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

The united states is full of cowards that
will gladly give up freedom for the
illusion of safety.

I think we should have less police
and that they should never be
given military hardware or
drones of any kind.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
If you've done nothing wrong, you shouldn't fear the drones.

I mean, what are you doing that your face when?

This post was brought to you by the letter S. S for sarcasm.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join