It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ Settled Massive Russian Fraud Case Involving Lawyer Who Met With Trump Jr

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

I'm calling BS on your deflective condescension and your tactic of dehumanizing of those whose political viewpoints you disagree with.

Today, all seventeen Democratic members of the House Committee on the Judiciary wrote to Attorney General Jeff Sessions to request information about his decision to abruptly settle United States v. Prevezon Holdings Ltd, a money laundering case that the Department of Justice (DOJ) abruptly settled that involved Russia sanctions, New York real estate holdings, and the lawyer who met with Donald Trump Jr. 

In addition to the letter, House Judiciary Ranking Member John Conyers, Jr., issued the following statement:
“The connections here are too substantial to ignore.  Why was a Russian money-laundering case involving more than $230 million dismissed without explanation?  Why was a central figure in that case chosen to approach the Trump campaign about assistance from the Russian government?  Was the firing of Preet Bharara in any way related to his office’s prosecution of these crimes?  Wittingly or unwittingly, was the Department of Justice involved?
“Even if these facts are mere coincidence—and there is reason to be doubtful that they are mere coincidence—they merit immediate explanation by the Attorney General and immediate investigation by the House Judiciary Committee.”[/I
democrats-judiciary.house.gov...]

edit on 17-7-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
a reply to: windword
You're perfectly free to call BS on any opinion you wish. You can call it anything you like---I refer you to your own siggie.

Are the Democrats now going to call into question every DOJ decision that a person hired by this administration makes? It that their way of attempting to be relevant? To get their faces on CNN?

The case was dead in the water. Had it been carried to trial, the US risked losing the case entirely. Better to agree to a settlement than to lose.

And if all the Republicans members join in this hue and cry---I'll say the same thing. See, I think there's plenty of corruption to go around in NYC and in DC. I'm not opining on the case itself---plenty of trash talk there. I'm simply saying that when you've given it your best shot and ask for summary judgement and a number of other last ditch efforts---and your motions are denied.....you throw in the towel and settle instead of proceeding and losing the case.

I think the case was brought because someone wanted those condos. It wouldn't be the first time the US government has invoked forfeiture laws to get hold of valuable properties.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: windword

Did you actually click on the link and read the case?

Why would I be surprised that Democrat Congress Critters were questioning a Republican AG?

When the US prosecutor saw that the bank records (in full) were to become part of the trial---they realized they were beaten because the records supported the defense's case.

This would be like some federal prosecutor charging me with laundering $100 million for X Corp and then asking the judge to not let me present all my bank records which show that I never had access to $100 million. Saying that financial records don't have anything to do with money laundering!!!!

But the Dems are really, really, really desperate to get their faces in front of the camera so naturally they're going to try to deflect. Somebody wanted those properties? Were there names in the bank records that the feds didn't want revealed? We'll never know because those records weren't put into the public record.

Did settling the case mess up someone's plans for those properties the US was trying to take from the Russians? See, I can grab stuff from the air and make accusations like anyone else!

Also, you should like this case because it explains why Lynch and Obama issued the special permission for the Russian spy to be here. To start this case over after more than four years would drag it out even longer and cost both sides millions more in court and legal fees.

That's the greatest load of partisan inspired rubbish I have heard. Prevezon was/is guilty as hell and everybody knows it. The bank records have not been revealed as yet and even Rep Senator Charles Grassley is still demanding to see more about that case, he is more worried about that than any Russian election interference, because he is an illicit money chaser, that is his forte and he knows that those properties are sitting there in New York when the money should be in the US Treasury.
As for Lynch she said at the time the lawyer was allowed in so as to ensure that the defendant would need to testify in court, nothing to do with any lobbying that lawyer did do.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

But what if you're totally mistaken?? What if the real victim that the lady Russian att. was gunning for was Preet Brahara, all along? Then working both Dems and Trumps would make perfect sense. She was covering the bases on both sides of the election. The goal being that regardless of who won, in Nov., Preet was Kaput. At least it explains why some lawyer in bed with Fusion GPS, would pay a courtesy call at Trump Tower to diss a Dem appointed U.S. Att.

At the very least, from being in, and paying off, Fusion GPS, she would have already known that their "Dossier"on DJT, was Opp. Research Crapola. And the Obama Admin. would also have gained by burning a problematical bridge in New York City.
Maybe Preet B. knew something about the Obama Admin. which they couldn't let him build his Senate Career on. Say, blackmail!

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
I looked into this when there was another thread on this same subject. (I'll try to find it then.)

If you look closely at the court documents, it seems the Government's case was weak to start with, and the defense had already presented additional documents (during the Obama administration) showing that they would likely win. This case has been going on for many years. It would have cost both sides a great deal of money to continue. So, they finally decided to end it.

That's funny because I too have been following this case for several days and I've been reading just the opposite.

It's a $230 million money laundering case that involves a Russian real estate investment firm called Prevezon Holdings.

Natalia Veselnitskaya is the attorney of record who represents the owner of Prevezon Holdings, Denis Katsyv and his family.

The case has been going on for 3 years now, which isn't at all unusual for a case of this kind.

The U.S. Government had a very strong case, (not a weak one as you stated) not to mention the fact that the defense just got a negative ruling with respect to a summary judgment request they had made before the court.

On another note, I believe the former U.S. Attorney who was fired by Trump, Preet Bharara, was also working on some international money laundering cases similar, if not related to, this one.

If I'm not mistaken, Deutsche Bank who was recently fined $630 million for it's role in a $10 billion dollar Russian money laundering case involving it's New York, London and Moscow offices, is also suspected of facilitating the transfer and investment of Russian funds into Trump real estate development projects.

This is a big deal and it's going to get a lot bigger as Mueller and his team gear up and focus on the money trail.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

I looked into this when there was another thread on this same subject. (I'll try to find it then.)

If you look closely at the court documents, it seems the Government's case was weak to start with, and the defense had already presented additional documents (during the Obama administration) showing that they would likely win. This case has been going on for many years. It would have cost both sides a great deal of money to continue. So, they finally decided to end it.

That's funny because I too have been following this case for several days and I've been reading just the opposite.

It's a $230 million money laundering case that involves a Russian real estate investment firm called Prevezon Holdings.

Natalia Veselnitskaya is the attorney of record who represents the owner of Prevezon Holdings, Denis Katsyv and his family.

The case has been going on for 3 years now, which isn't at all unusual for a case of this kind.

The U.S. Government had a very strong case, (not a weak one as you stated) not to mention the fact that the defense just got a negative ruling with respect to a summary judgment request they had made before the court.

On another note, I believe the former U.S. Attorney who was fired by Trump, Preet Bharara, was also working on some international money laundering cases similar, if not related to, this one.

If I'm not mistaken, Deutsche Bank who was recently fined $630 million for it's role in a $10 billion dollar Russian money laundering case involving it's New York, London and Moscow offices, is also suspected of facilitating the transfer and investment of Russian funds into Trump real estate development projects.

This is a big deal and it's going to get a lot bigger as Mueller and his team gear up and focus on the money trail.

Exactly, hence the series of deflections...with slight variations you hear all to often, from the Trump camp and supporters bless them...Obama got the lady in to make a fool of Trump, anything but consider that Trump is in the money laundering game.

Consider this, Trump Tower, Canada was aided by Vnesheconombank big time, $850million I think the figure was.
Vnesheconombank/VEB is not a bank as you would know it, and arguably gets its finance directly from the big feller in Moscow. Kushner and Trump is right there too with VEB, as they are with Deutsche Bank, the private part thereof, and that part of the bank operates very differently from the rest while DB is also in the firing line for money laundering..and they have dealt with VEB as well.
It's well to think of it this way, Putin and his Oligarchs, and who does what with the money, never mind where it came from.
As for other investigations, they are going on as you know.

edit on 17-7-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy
As I said earlier, I'm not a Trumpster nor a Democrat. I believe they're all corrupt, some more so than others. Again, I will repeat for the non-readers, I don't know whether they are innocent or guilty but I know when someone throws out a motion for summary judgement they've submitted all they have in the case. When the judge denies that motion, the only sensible course is to attempt settlement.
There may be tons of evidence....but the prosecutor didn't want the bank records that would have shown the errors in the government's case allowed to be introduced during the trial. It was when the lower court's ruling was overturned that they went for the summary judgement and lost. Time to retreat and lick your wounds.

I don't know if Lynch and Obama knew of her lobbying efforts or not but wasn't Obama opposed to the law she's trying to get abolished?

My reason for saying someone wanted those condos was to illustrate that there are all sorts of stories out there floating about that have no evidence to back them up. I do know of cases where the US government went after property because they wanted it and saw a way to steal it. Both parties....doesn't matter....when they are faced with banksters they bow and scrape because most of them will never be out of personal debt no matter how many bribes they accept. It's never enough for politicos.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

It's actually common place. The obama justice department did the same thing. The magnitsky act is just a giant shakedown. This lawyer lobbies for clients opposed to the magnitsky act, so it's not surprising that she would be the lawyer of someone opposed to the magnitsky act, that's her whole schtick.

It's funny how if you step back it all adds up really nicely without any real holes.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
a reply to: Southern Guardian

It's actually common place. The obama justice department did the same thing. The magnitsky act is just a giant shakedown. This lawyer lobbies for clients opposed to the magnitsky act, so it's not surprising that she would be the lawyer of someone opposed to the magnitsky act, that's her whole schtick.

It's funny how if you step back it all adds up really nicely without any real holes.

This is much different, a lot different. We already knew about Aras Agalarov already seen as a money launderer, but now we have Ike Kaveladze, who's history goes back a long while to the very early 2000's, and he himself accused of money laundering who works for Aras Agalarov as the eight person at the Trump House meeting. Kaveladze, (he says) was there as rep for Agalarov. I guess he was..(sarcasm)
Another thing we do know is that Manafort, who lives in Trump Tower when there, has been under observation since at least 2015.
All of that says a lot, like it or not, it is quite clear that that US intel would have had Manafort tapped in the Trump Tower at least, and more than likely knew about the Trump Tower meeting, and a good chance that they also knew all about who was there, but are still reluctant to talk about it, and anything else they already know, and for good reason, since there are these investigations ongoing, and God only knows where it will end as far as we are concerned. Mueller is in charge now, but he must have one epic challenge ahead of him, and it will be interesting to see at what point he calls stop. Comey would surely have had the same dilemma in front of him, but he was FBI, Mueller has likely more power to call on, while I could be wrong there, but it definitely now down to him.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The EU is sponsoring and supporting this scandal orchestrated by William Browder in order to launch another attempt at overthrowing Trump.

EU's attempts are already doomed!

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Russian lawyer Veselnitskaya says Magnitsky Act lobbyist Browder behind Trump Jr. scandal

"I´m ready to clarify the situation behind this mass hysteria – but only through lawyers or testifying in the Senate," Veselnitskaya told RT.

“I can only assume that the current situation that has been heated up for ten days or so by now is a a very well-orchestrated story concocted by one particular manipulator – Mr. Browder. He is one of the greatest experts in the field of manipulating mass media,” Veselnitskaya said.

She went on to say that Browder, who is the founder and CEO of the Hermitage Capital investment company, orchestrated this whole disinformation campaign as revenge for the defeat he suffered in a US court in 2013 from a team of lawyers that included Veselnitskaya.

“I have absolutely no doubt that this whole information [campaign] is being spun, encouraged and organized by that very man as revenge for the defeat he suffered in court of the Southern State of New York in the ‘Prevezon’ company case,” she said.

"He wasn't able to convince the court with his lousy human tragedy that actually never happened, about the fate of a dead man - who he only learnt about after his death."

Is This the Document Russian Lawyer Veselnitskaya Shopped to Donald Trump Jr?

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You simply CAN'T even breathe around Trump without running into shady, corrupt Russians.

Oh Lordy.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: theultimatebelgianjoke

Hmmm, very interesting!! This puts this in a whole new persepective.

There are those who claimed the case was settled as some type of payment to Veselnitskaya for services rendered to Trump. (which is BS, for the reasons stated previously)

Now Veselnitskaya says that the Trump meeting was spun to make it look like something it was not in retribution AGAINST her because she won the case. This sounds like it might be plausible.

Those of us who looked closely at the court case could see that things went against the government's case that naturally resulted in them agreeing to settlement. The government case fell apart when new evidence was finally to be admitted.

This also makes sense because there is no other reason to understand why those involved would have sat on the information about the meeting for so long and suddenly reveal it.

edit on 7/19/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Yes, this the guy the US prosecutor was trying to rely on, the connection to Hermitage. This is the testimony that the judge ruled couldn't be heard because of the dubious nature of it and the "bait and switch" angle. The US public and members of Congress might not have been able to see through him but when the judge got all the documents, the motion for testimony from Hermitge was denied. It's all there in the case for people to read.

As I said before, I'm sure there is plenty of corruption to go around on all sides! Never said there were innocent parties in this suit, just that the US prosecutor saw his case fall apart due to depending on sketchy witnesses.

posted on Jul, 19 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Hmmm, very interesting!! This puts this in a whole new persepective.

If you did not know about Browder, then you didn't know much about the Hermitage part in the Prevezon case/AKA the Prevezon case.
I don't know anyone who claimed Veselnitskaya was doing Trump a favour Pfff!

However we now finally know about Kaveladze being Mr 8 at the meeting, much more important.

More so, at least one congressman is now asking WTF was Kaveladze, a man with a 'colourful past' doing at that meeting if it was 'just' about lobbying. Kaveladze was there, and he had no business to be there, except doing what he does best...launder shinola. (the reason for my sarcasm in my last post)
Now..today, we here that Trump is now gunning for Mueller, while Pence has started his own 'Great America Committee' and is fund raising like mad, so I would expect Pence will soon be under fire from this lunatic-in-charge, as I expected Muellar to be, and definitely once the eight person was identified.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join