It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Endocannabinoid System and Evolution

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: M4ngo

Stoned ape theory foreveeer!

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Super interesting topic, thanks for posting.

It would appear that we are just making headway into understanding neuroplasticity in conjunction with the chemicals found in marijuana. I would think that our ancestor's diet was quite varied, so they may have ingested marijuana-related chemicals on a moderate basis rather than having a steady diet of it. Therefore, I would assume they didn't suffer from the detrimental effects of memory loss, as this would be devastating for survival. What a shame we have lost so much time accepting ignorance with this wonderful medicine that may turn the tables on dementia and Alzheimer's and other common debilitating diseases.

The study revealed that a chemical substance in marijuana, cannabichromene (CBC), has the ability to spark the creation of neurons. Neural stem cells in the brain are now proven to develop into neuron connections when combined with CBC in marijuana. Moreover, the chemical was reported to ramp up the practicality of developing adult neural stem progenitor cells (NSPC) into more and better connection within the brain.

The research team that conducted the study stated the stem cells that are used in the neurogenesis process are one of the most important components of the brain. Diseases like Alzheimer’s and mental illnesses like depression and bipolar disorder are most likely the result of a declining neurogenesis process.

Another study done on neuron re-growth with marijuana, published in the latest issue of Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, suggested that CBC and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) act as an anti-oxidant cleansing for brain. The THC coats the neurons in a sort of healing blanket. This allows for the disposal of damaged cells, improving the efficiency of the brain, and making room for more neurons to be developed. The research team also found that one of the most important factors is that both chemicals in marijuana make the mitochondria in brain cells work at a faster pace, making them more energy efficient, leading to a better functioning, smarter person.

As for this specific scientific finding, this would tell me that teenagers given specifically measured doses of the chemicals from marijuana would actually become smarter. Isn't this what we want for our future generations, to further along the expansion of brain neuroplasticity for the betterment of humanity? - I say, yes.

guardianlv.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

From my understanding there has not been a significant amount of studies on fish and the ECS. Their endocannabinoid system "makeup" seems to vary across species, with some actually having two CB1 genes and one CB2 gene while another might have the opposite. The purpose is regulation of physiological processes. The function within the CNS of a fish it could be regulation of reproduction, migration, internal body temperature, motor function, sight, learning, memory, regulation of breathing (not sure of correct term different fish have gills located in different areas and use it different ways). I would imagine it regulates very complicated functions, and I don't know enough to say for sure but here's a couple of papers talking more about it.

Are the cannabinoids involved in bony fish reproduction?

Expression and distribution of CB1 cannabinoid receptors in the central nervous system of the African cichlid fish Pelvicachromis pulcher

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I agree it was used in moderation but then again, Cannabis in the olden days was nothing like the Cannabis is today in much of the world—high amount of THC with virtually zero CBD, as a result of selective breeding and Cannabis Prohibition can be blamed for that. Cannabis back then would have been more of a 1:1 ratio of THC:CBD, providing much more health benefits without getting stoned.
CBD can act as an allosteric modulator. It can also increase endocannabinoid levels in the brain synapses, via acting as a Anandamide reuptake inhibitor. As an negative allosteric modulator, it acts by weakening the binding affinity of THC at the CB1 receptor site. As a positive allosteric modulator CBD works via GABA-A receptor site and increases the binding affinity of GABA. This is why CBD is so effective for seizures. The GW Pharma's Sativex uses a 1:1 ratio of THC:CBD just as an example.
You are absolutely right about Alzheimer's and dementia. Cannabis can prevent neurodegenerative diseases and actually promotes neurogenesis. It can prevent and treat diabetes, induce cancer cell death, etc.
It should be an essential nutrient in everyday diet.

posted on Jul, 16 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

And thanks for mentioning neuroplasticity. Totally agree, and it seems like our understanding of how the human body and brain works is actually being discovered for the first time. I was reading an article the other day about endocannabinoids in breast milk and inside the womb the ECS is involved in the development of fetal organs.

posted on Jul, 17 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

They just made more concentrated forms of the shiddy weeds, that were around those olden days.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: M4ngo

And thanks for mentioning neuroplasticity. Totally agree, and it seems like our understanding of how the human body and brain works is actually being discovered for the first time. I was reading an article the other day about endocannabinoids in breast milk and inside the womb the ECS is involved in the development of fetal organs.

I too just skimmed over a scientific paper touting the benefits of cannabinoids in feti development. Yes, the reality is that we really have a great deal to learn of the human body and development/aging in relation to diet and medicinal plants.
edit on 17CDT06America/Chicago04260631 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Not a significant amount of research, but they're there.

My question was more for those who think having endocannabinoid receptors relates to cannabinoids when fish have them too...

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

My question was more for those who think having endocannabinoid receptors relates to cannabinoids when fish have them too...

Interestingly, the study I was skimming through also observed biological development in Zebrafish feti. So perhaps fish may actually think (on a primitive level)?

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Without the endocannabinoid system, your brain would melt.

Have you ever got into a conversation while driving, only to forget where youre going, and realize you haven't been watching the road at all? Endocannabinoid makes that possible. Without it, every bit of information that hits your sense would have to be fully processed and acknowledged, you would be counting your breath, and heart rate uncontrollably, itching constantly, unable to distinguish minor stimulii from important ones.

It basically makes you forget unimportant details that would overload and fry your brain if you couldn't ignore them,and reserves your brain power for important details.

Too bad mental health cabals want to blame lack of focus for social problems rather than over focus on irrelevant passing details . Such as other people's sexual orientation etc lol

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigBangWasAnEcho
Without the endocannabinoid system, your brain would melt.

Have you ever got into a conversation while driving, only to forget where youre going, and realize you haven't been watching the road at all? Endocannabinoid makes that possible. Without it, every bit of information that hits your sense would have to be fully processed and acknowledged, you would be counting your breath, and heart rate uncontrollably, itching constantly, unable to distinguish minor stimulii from important ones.

It basically makes you forget unimportant details that would overload and fry your brain if you couldn't ignore them,and reserves your brain power for important details.

Too bad mental health cabals want to blame lack of focus for social problems rather than over focus on irrelevant passing details . Such as other people's sexual orientation etc lol

Driving is not an unimportant detail, but I do understand what you mean and I have to really work hard to pay attention while driving.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Interestingly, the study I was skimming through also observed biological development in Zebrafish feti. So perhaps fish may actually think (on a primitive level)?

Just for information sake, the Zebrafish has 70% of the same DNA as humans.

posted on Jul, 18 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

I think it is pretty interesting that cannabinoids also act as quorum sensing inhibitors, which is what bacteria (first life form on Earth) and viruses use to communicate.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Tried to reply...to chronaut. "What are the evolution advantages?

Perhaps something embedded for later use... if we ever became intelligent enough, or evolved enough, and cultivate the god plant for proper use, it will activat tree the proper boosters signals to our dna to progress to the next stage. The universe knows that a species which has mastered the cannabinoids to activate their receptors, to a high enough population density ....they are wise and peace loving... they are allowed inside heaven. Their cannibus receptors begin interacting with other humans receptors, communicating like Furbys and allows us to find answers like never before, solving the great mysteries of this chapter, and beginning the next chapter. Why not?

Ok ok...but what I can tell you is that the proper application of cannibus CAN and will cause miraculous results for you individually, And for the human race as a whole.

edit on 8/5/2017 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Religion can just be a guy by himself contemplating god and universe... im not controlling or dominating anyone. I even include Jesus as my favorite person, mentor and role model. That doesn't mean I fought in the crusades, shamed gays, burned scientists alive, or even tried to persuade another person my way is the best or only way, or even a good way... no, it's just My way. Nothing more. Nothing less. It works for me. I've modfied it greatly throughout life and especially since childhood when we are told lies constantly in a loving parental effort to best prepare us for the trials ahead... but then some things from childhood you keep. Nobody had to teach you those things... many of us may have had to RE-learn a lot of things after society made us forget them soon after birth, but, dont give them credit for teaching you lies for years, and then retraining you in a special setting so they can take credit for teaching kids how to share and bs like that which is common sense to a spritual being.

Anyway, I gotta go but great topic. Always a pleasure.

But yeah its those Other AHoles trying to dominate everything.... and I suspect they are not in truth, very spiritual or religious people after all...

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: flyingfish

You'd have to be fairly weak minded to be 'religiously coerced' in a world of such philosophical variety. If someone stops searching, it may be because they have found something.

We are easily coerced, this is why we must be skeptical of unevidenced claims and learn critical thinking skills to protect ourselves and our children from religious indoctrination.

You have some evidence that complexity arises from randomness?

Yes.

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phantom423

You'd have to be fairly weak minded to be 'religiously coerced' in a world of such philosophical variety. If someone stops searching, it may be because they have found something.

We are easily coerced, this is why we must be skeptical of unevidenced claims and learn critical thinking skills to protect ourselves and our children from religious indoctrination.

Yes.

Give!

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Fish have endocannabinoid receptors.

Embedded for later use in fish too?

Yeah, no.

edit on 5/8/17 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470
Tried to reply...to chronaut. "What are the evolution advantages?

Perhaps something embedded for later use... if we ever became intelligent enough, or evolved enough, and cultivate the god plant for proper use, it will activat tree the proper boosters signals to our dna to progress to the next stage. The universe knows that a species which has mastered the cannabinoids to activate their receptors, to a high enough population density ....they are wise and peace loving... they are allowed inside heaven. Their cannibus receptors begin interacting with other humans receptors, communicating like Furbys and allows us to find answers like never before, solving the great mysteries of this chapter, and beginning the next chapter. Why not?

Ok ok...but what I can tell you is that the proper application of cannibus CAN and will cause miraculous results for you individually, And for the human race as a whole.

I'm fairly sure that the endocannabinoid system has a lot of biochemical functions that have nothing to do with the feelings that THC triggers. It is just the case that THC happens to bind to the receptors

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Actually, Ilya Prigogine, the Belgian scientist that received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1977 basically proved this very thing.

Dissipative structures—far from equilibrium thermodynamics.
Complex systems can arise out of chaos.
Living organisms are dissipative structures. Humans are dissipative structures.

long before a state of equilibrium is reached in irreversible processes, orderly and stable systems can arise from more disordered systems.

www.nobelprize.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join