It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy Arachnophobia Batman

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

I'm glad i'm on the opposite side of the states. Baltimore can keep their spiders.

Scary thing is... spiders are intelligent *shudder*

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It would not be so bad because The Flash would have nothing on me! Usain Bolt would look like an old man using a walker! I would probably make Superman flying backwards around the earth look like a rubber band flying across the room!

If I died of fright before I reached the end... just leave me to the arachnids and another generation or two that would be born!

@VictorVonDoom - I don't think there are any homeless sleeping in there either!

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I want my Mommy...you are a very bad boy.

And I thought two dead, purple, hairy Tarantulas in the pool were gross.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Just think, that is 856 million eyes watching you!

That is a better defense than sharks with lasers!!

:sider-eyes:

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Haha. Seriously, I think spiders may be able sense your intentions toward them. My roommate is constantly battling spiders at our house, going out of his way to kill them, and I've only seen two in the two years I've lived here and I caught them both in a glass and put them outside. And I haven't seen any or been bothered at all.

Maybe they're smarter than we think.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I like spiders better than those guys anyway.

posted on Jul, 6 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I've posted this I another thread but what the heck!

They argued in a review paper... that a spider’s web is at least an adjustable part of its sensory apparatus, and at most an extension of the spider’s cognitive system.

This would make the web a model example of extended cognition, an idea first proposed by the philosophers Andy Clark and David Chalmers in 1998 to apply to human thought. In accounts of extended cognition, processes like checking a grocery list or rearranging Scrabble tiles in a tray are close enough to memory-retrieval or problem-solving tasks that happen entirely inside the brain that proponents argue they are actually part of a single, larger, “extended” mind.

quantamagazine.org - The Thoughts of a Spiderweb.

Since there are so many spiders and a nearly continuous web, makes one wonder just how "smart" they are if they all share parts of the web together. One giant spider mind with 856 million eyes... ready to pounce.

Hehehe...

Beats a million monkeys at a million typewriters any day of the week!

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

In all honesty. Spiders fascinate and scare me at the same time. It's the unpredictable nature of them. When i find a spider in my house, I'll gently scoop them up in a paper towel. Then put them outside in the garden.

***UNPREDICTABLE***
😰😰😰😰

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

A few tens of millions of mosquitoes, and other species of flying and crawling insect which congregate in places containing water. Perhaps some moths occasionally.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

As for them being smart... check this out!

One of the papers, a research article called 'Representation of different exact numbers of prey by a spider-eating predator' shows that spiders can differentiate between one, two and many.

In our experiments, we let Portia see a specific number of prey spiders in the range of 1–6, but the experimental apparatus was designed in such a way that Portia could access these spiders only by walking along a detour path that involved losing sight of the prey, and the detour route could be initiated only by first walking directly away from the prey. An important feature of these experiments is that they were based on using expectancy-violation methods. These methods are unconventional in studies on spiders and other arthropods, but they are often used in studies on the numerical aptitudes of primates, including human infants.

The results of this study can be characterised as P. Africana [predator spider] counting 1, 2, and many, which is similar to what has been observed with human infants.

phys.org - Can spiders really count?

They made the spider walk around a barrier to get to its prey after seeing them first. They then either left the number alone or removed some. What they found was the spider hesitated when the number varied by more than one. The number of spiders it expected to be there was not there it paused which means there was a violation of expectation. The spider basically counted 1, 2, and many!

Ever wonder why the internet is called the world wide... wait for it... web??

Legendary!

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

In all honesty. Spiders fascinate and scare me at the same time. It's the unpredictable nature of them. When i find a spider in my house, I'll gently scoop them up in a paper towel. Then put them outside in the garden.

***UNPREDICTABLE***
😰😰😰😰

I almost dropped my phone when I saw that GIF.

As much as I tell myself I'm not afraid of spiders I'd probably kill that one, or if it escaped just burn the whole house down and call it a win.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Ok now I'm starting to get nervous, at first I just assumed spiders might be intelligent, but after reading those links and seeing the one in the post abover recognize itself in a mirror, I'm creeped out.

If they learn how to coordinate, we're through as a species..

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Bigburgh

***UNPREDICTABLE***
😰😰😰😰

I almost dropped my phone when I saw that GIF.

As much as I tell myself I'm not afraid of spiders I'd probably kill that one, or if it escaped just burn the whole house down and call it a win.

BB/Pellet gun with a scope. Leaves an easily fixable hole.

posted on Jul, 7 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

107 million...............I wonder who counted them all.

I did. I get paid by the hour.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

To keep blood and oxygen flowing throughout their bodies, most animals depend on a beating heart. But researchers reporting in Current Biology on July 10 have discovered that sea spiders use a strange alternative: they move blood and oxygen throughout most of their bodies by pumping their guts.

phys.org - Sea spiders move oxygen with pumping guts (not hearts).

Eeeks! Now they're in the sea and living underwater!

If spiders ever link up as a hive mind... yep, we're doomed!

- and -

sciencedaiy.com - Strange silk: Why rappelling spiders don't spin out of control.

Why are all these spider stories popping up? Am I looking for them subconsciously and finding them? Am I manifesting them from my brain? Coincidence? "Nothing to see here! move along!"?

*face plam* I watched The Amazing Spiderman 2 last night because there was nothing else on.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

Not enough.

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

originally posted by: skunkape23

Not enough.
Don't rush me man...I'm also trying to paint this rich guys house with a fine sable liner brush.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join