It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cholera Epidemic In Yemen Growing Out of Control With 5,000 cases per day! -WHO

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
We frequently hear about the Saudi Kingdom's coalition against Ansar Allah in Yemen, more commonly known as the Houthis. While they have done a decent job of keeping Saudi invaders from gaining land in their borders, it has come with a heavy price as they seem unable to stop the unceasing air strikes on their infrastructure. The WHO is now documenting up to 5,000 new cases a day with suspected cases at currently over 200,000! It is currently the worst outbreak of Cholera in the world. As is if that is not bad enough, the 30,000 local health care workers trying to stop this epidemic have not even been paid in ten months!!

Statement from UNICEF Executive Director Anthony Lake and WHO Director-General Margaret Chan on the cholera outbreak in Yemen as suspected cases exceed 200,000
NEW YORK/GENEVA, 24 June 2017 – The rapidly spreading cholera outbreak in Yemen has exceeded 200,000 suspected cases, increasing at an average of 5,000 a day. We are now facing the worst cholera outbreak in the world.

In just two months, cholera has spread to almost every governorate of this war-torn country. Already more than 1,300 people have died – one quarter of them children – and the death toll is expected to rise.

This deadly cholera outbreak is the direct consequence of two years of heavy conflict. Collapsing health, water and sanitation systems have cut off 14.5 million people from regular access to clean water and sanitation, increasing the ability of the disease to spread. Rising rates of malnutrition have weakened children’s health and made them more vulnerable to disease. An estimated 30,000 dedicated local health workers who play the largest role in ending this outbreak [have not been paid their salaries for nearly 10 months.

We urge all authorities inside the country to pay these salaries and, above all, we call on all parties to end this devastating conflict.

It strikes me as odd that the current head of the UN Human Rights Commission has not prioritized addressing this matter.

I pray this conflict will end and the people of Yemen can regain their health and rebuild their lives and country.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

It strikes me as odd that the current head of the UN Human Rights Commission has not prioritized addressing this matter.

The United States and Saudi Arabia wouldn't like it

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

The United States and Saudi Arabia wouldn't like it

Same reason the UK government is turning a blind eye.
Shame on them.

*Also lots of money to be made selling arms to Saudi, and lots of Saudi oil to purchase.
edit on 25-6-2017 by InceyWincey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It seems that the important stuff happening goes over their head and they ignore it. But get a new fairly rare virus or pathogen that can use to employ a lot of high price scientists and they use it to gain extra money for their organization. Fixing this issue is not that expensive if you divide it by the number of people helped. But they do not even want to pay the health care workers there. Ignorance of this is inhumane. If they took a quarter of what they spent on Zika they could help a real lot of people there.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
It is going to be difficult to get ahead of the situation until the Saudi coalition ends their bombing campaign of anything standing in Yemen. But at the very least those heath workers need to get paid. It is commendable and noble of them to risk their lives to save and help others and do whats right. But they have families too, and they need support first and foremost otherwise there won't be workers to help.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: rickymouse
It is going to be difficult to get ahead of the situation until the Saudi coalition ends their bombing campaign of anything standing in Yemen. But at the very least those heath workers need to get paid. It is commendable and noble of them to risk their lives to save and help others and do whats right. But they have families too, and they need support first and foremost otherwise there won't be workers to help.

They also need supplies and medicines. I am betting those are also in shortage. Like you said, the healthcare workers have families to support too. This kind of skimping by the people up high that supply the funding kind of makes my stomach turn.

We do not know all the particulars on this though, we are hearing one side of the issue. I won't badmouth anyone till I hear both sides of the issue.
edit on 25-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
nobody cares....lip service and hand-wringing only

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx
Havn't you heard? It is more important when Trump farts or sneezes, at any point in the day. Of course, it has been executed this way by design.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Could this turn into a global thing if it increases in strength and affects more people? Imagine in a big city liike London which now has 8.6 million people living in it... which is way too much and increasing.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: jimmyx
Havn't you heard? It is more important when Trump farts or sneezes, at any point in the day. Of course, it has been executed this way by design.

Sad but true. Children dying and no one seems to care, where's the outrage?

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Naw I can't imagine it reaching pandemic proportions. Cholera does not really work that way. Its a result of very poor sanitation and unclean water due to whatever circumstance prevents them from rebuilding their infrastructure. A governing body could have all the good intent and funding to go with it. However, without the infrastructure or the security to upgrade it, especially due to war, it is of little consequence. Whats the point of spending millions rebuilding water treatment if they just strike it from the air the moment they see people trying to repair it?

London has fairly good sanitation and very clean water, at least I hope so Ive never been. What makes matters worse in Yemen is the people cannot even escape as refugees due to all ports shut down. So they have to crowd in what is left standing, exposing more and more people to bio-hazardous areas and pathogens.

I just find it appalling that it is even hardly mentioned on broadcast news, people need to know the abuse of the Yemeni people has gone too far!

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Polio isn't far away from that area, or some other horrible disease.
What about smallpox? Is an outbreak of that possible?

posted on Jun, 26 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainRamsey

Smallpox Only if it was intentional. Only exists in labs at this point in history, and is occasionally found in very remote and isolated demographics in third world nations. Somehow the WHO manage to stay on top of it though. I did report in my Raqqa thread that there were growing cases of Polio in Syria. As disheartening as that is, its not even on a serious level thankfully, certainly not in the thousands.

The common denominator here is war. Disease breaks out where there is war due to destroyed infrastructure and inability to deliver essential supplies where they are needed the most. It would sure be nice if they can at least get aa moratorium on air strikes for like a month or something. Just so the innocent people can get their damn treatments!! Those children do not deserve the hardships being brought on them as well as disease and famine.

Its easily in a worse state than Somalia right now, as shocking as that is to imagine.

join