It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

If that's what you got from what I said, then wow.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hmm, no radios on bridge? The ships on deadliest catch at least can phone from their wheelhouses.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Not just from what you wrote in that comment. Consider it a cumulative message.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

The long range communications all go through one point, even on the ships on the Deadliest Catch. The radios that were on the bridge that would work would have been short range hand units. And immediately after the impact, their major concern would have been saving the ship.

They had three major compartments taking on water fast, in addition to the radio room, they had probably lost power, and most of their major systems. Do you really think they were worried about picking up a radio first thing?
edit on 6/19/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Ok, sure. If that's what you want to believe, and be all superior because you don't believe the sun will come up tomorrow, have fun with that.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Ok, sure. If that's what you want to believe, and be all superior because you don't believe the sun will come up tomorrow, have fun with that.

LOL.

Nice straw man deflection.

Yeah, I think it will come up tomorrow and it won't be an hour earlier than reported.
edit on 19-6-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

What? You mean you don't question that too? Wow.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

Or should we go back to a massive battleship fleet that's armored to hell and gone?

I think we all miss the battleships don't we?
When did the last one get taken out of service?
Why did they go obsolete?

I had the honor to tour the USS Mossouri when I was 13 in 1976, saw the brass plaque on the deck where the surrender was signed. What an experience. I couldn't believe the size of the anchor chains, I still have some pictures left.
edit on 19-6-2017 by darepairman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

a reply to: pheonix358

The destroyer didn't send out any distress call, the container ship did. The Fitz lost all long range communications when their radio room flooded. They also lost most of their major systems. It was the container ship that waited an hour.

And there are three agencies investigating, not just the military.

Sorry I can't swallow that.

Let's see. They have two helicopters. Both have long range communications. Their life rafts have satellite distress beacons that all you have to do is inflate the boat or pull a pin. They have satellite phones. God knows what else they have. The container ship did not need to send a distress since they were not in a situation requiring assistance.

It will be interesting to see what happens next! Also, their were more investigating the USS Vincennes incident and the Navy still managed to wriggle out of that one ... basically with psycho babble.

P

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

A satellite phone doesn't have to go thru any point but itself. A mayday call is going to be vital to a ship in danger of sinking, this isn't an airplane with only a couple pilots on board.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I'm well aware it's not, but it's also not like the movies. It was chaotic as hell. They were in very real danger of sinking, along with major systems failure. They also don't keep satellite phones laying around on the bridge.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Whatever happened has happened, the Navy will learn from it and carry forward. RIP to the sailors that lost their lives.

I'm certain they had the ability to send out a distress call, would be unimaginable if they didn't due to this collision.

The daily fail actually has a not bad article on this. As you have pointed out, the story will evolve as more details become known, it's hard to form an opinion at this point in time.
Link

'Everyone was asleep': Japanese cargo ship was on AUTOPILOT when it collided with the USS Fitzgerald says defense expert - as the US Navy mysteriously claims the accident happened one HOUR after official recorded time

edit on 19-6-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Yeah ok. So which crew members were just standing around that could have run and found a radio while the rest of the crew fought t to stop the flooding and deal with everything else going on?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Is that what you got from that?

There's this little thing called an investigation. Look it up, it may surprise you.

The story will change as more evidence comes out. There are going to be careers ended over this, so the Navy is going to be very careful with it.

The Ring Knockers Association may indeed play a part in someone not losing his or her pensions, but their careers are over. No stars. No further commands. They might as well call it quits today.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Yeah ok. So which crew members were just standing around that could have run and found a radio while the rest of the crew fought t to stop the flooding and deal with everything else going on?

There are over 280 personnel on board, all highly trained members of the magnificent US Navy. What? No one thought to send a distress call?

Sorry Zaph, I am expecting to have to sift through the lies ... just as we did when the other incident happened that led to the deaths of an entire passenger jet full of people.

P

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Oh, listen, I got it. Loud and clear. There are so many reasons I have no right, whatsoever, to question anything. Pensions...careers...but me? Nope, I'm a nobody. I have no right to question anything.

What was I thinking?

I understand now though, so much.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Question all you want, just don't forget to listen.

I care not in the slightest if you question everything about this incident. Because I'll be doing the same damned thing. Difference is, apparently, I haven't leaped to a conclusion yet...unlike some I could mention.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Please enlighten?

Who jumped to a conclusion and what was it?

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

There were 280 people on a ship that had just had a massive hole ripped in it. You know what they were doing? Racing to duty stations, taking muster, and trying to save their ship and shipmates. I'm sure you have a better plan for them, but they were a tiny bit busy to send a distress call. They didn't have people standing around to get to a radio.

Yes, I get it. The military lies about everything and no one should trust anything they say. They're all liars out to save their own skin.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
I don't know what they know at this time. I do know that they are in a position to know things that I don't know. The fact that they are even discussing it is enough at this time.

edit on 19-6-2017 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join